UsAirways_757
Topic Author

Alaska To The East Coast?

Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:22 am

Hello everyone,

Alaska is mainly a west coast airline, but does anyone think that they might start expanding to the East Coast sometime? They started flying to Chicago last year, and I heard rumors that they might start to DCA. Any ideas?

Thanks  Smile

searpqx

RE: Alaska To The East Coast?

Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:30 am

Alaska did apply for two of the USAir slots at DCA, stating when they did it they knew it was a long shot, but that DCA would make a good addition to the network. At the same time, it was reiterated that whats made AS so successfull is its North South structure on the West Coast, and while they may open more East West routes, based on how succesfull ANC - ORD has been, the plan is to remaine focused on the North South structure.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

EIPremier

Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:37 am

If the DOT awards the slots (one for arrival and one for departure) to Alaska, then the SEA-DCA service can happen. However these are old TWA slots for their LAX-DCA service, and they are highly contested by other airlines.

We'll just have to be patient...  Smile

I heard rumors that Alaska may actually be looking into flights from the West Coast to six different East Coast markets. However, these are just rumors, and it would be a long time before such a route system could be a reality.

Alaska's is a North-South airline, and they have been unsuccessful with previous ventures into the West-East market (they tried this in the late 80's after the purchase of JetAmerica). They also flew LAX-YYZ in 1992, and Air Canada sent them packing.

Alaska's growth plans are fairly conservative, and I think SEA-DCA is attractive due to the lack of competition. I don't think Alaska would have any reason to take on the big boys otherwise.

Fri Mar 09, 2001 1:39 am

Alaska has a good relationship with American and I think any competing route East could jepordize that relationship. My own speculation on where Alaska could go:
SEA, PDX, or LAX to ORD or DFW is a heavy American market. Hard competetion and possibly get AA upset.
... to DEN is heavy United territory and it may be hard to compete.
So what other cities would Alaska want to take a small 73G to? It would have to be some of the relatively smaller cities. . . Colo Springs, Casper, Omaha, OKC, Kansas City?

Matt D

Fri Mar 09, 2001 2:30 am

Don't make fun of those "little 73G's". Those planes have the range to go just about anywhere in the continental US from any of Alaskas 3 hubs : PDX, SEA, LAX.

I can't imagine why AS would want to deviate from their north/south formula. It has worked well. Why tamper with success?

I'm surprised they went into ORD.

But if they can go to the East, and make it profitable, more power to them.

EIPremier

RE: SkyWest

Fri Mar 09, 2001 5:45 am

Alaska may appear to have good relations with American, but American is also engaging in their usual bullying.

Since gates at LAX's Terminal 3 went to common use, American has added 30 flights, including a LAX-SJD flight which is direct competition to Alaska. American's flights out of Terminal 3 are due to their purchase of Reno Air, but TWA also flies out of Terminal 3. American is doing their best to squeeze Alaska out of the terminal by flooding it with flights. American podiums are now set up at many Alaska gates. Rumor is that American will start competing on more of Alaska's routes.

If Alaska can't park their planes at T3, where will they park?? Will passengers have to ride busses out to Alaska a/c???

I've heard that Alaska's board of directors rejected a $75 per share offer of purchase. So, it's possible AA's sudden "unfriendliness" has something to do with that.

http://www.laxmasterplan.org

nwa747-400

Fri Mar 09, 2001 6:03 am

I know NW wanted the DCA-SEA route last year when the TW bid was awarded. I wonder if their interests are being tapped again now? It would provide nice connections to Asia, HNL, and the AS system out of SEA.

Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:19 am

If the LAX thing is getting on AS, then they better break off relations w/ AMR, just like JI did. Look where JI is, dancing w/ AA in MIA. AS could do the same in DFW and MIA.

Just wondering, are the ORD slots AS has from AA? If they are, and AS breaks relations w/ them, oops. (AS ought to get their own slots if they haven't already)

And why must AS fly from SEA/PDX to the East coast? What about signature flights from Alaska? I would definitely have a mile-wide smile if they started nonstop FLL-ANC flights!

MAH4546

Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:41 am

Considering how amazingly popular Alaska has become as a destination for South Florida residents, I have been thinking that a non-stop, seasonal summer, weekly or twice-weekly MIA/FLL-ANC flight could be very succsesful.
a.

Fri Mar 09, 2001 2:06 pm

AS must have been thinking about Newark at one time. I printed out an airport map and besides continental all over, be darned, one area was Alaska Airlines. This was last July. I look in their schedule, and, NO, they did not fly there. But it surely would be a strange "typo" to have AS on an airport map??

funny deal.

Fri Mar 09, 2001 2:40 pm

I believe there is another 'ASA' on the east coast- its a regional airline.

EIPremier

Fri Mar 09, 2001 4:45 pm

Alaska does codeshare with Continental on certain flights to Newark.

Agree W/ EI: AS @ EWR Could Be A CO Codeshare

Sat Mar 10, 2001 7:34 am

No body. Proceed to next post. Have a nice day.

watewate

Sun Mar 11, 2001 1:11 am

Could AS's FF cooperation with RootsAir lead to a new route to YYZ?

Mit

Sun Mar 11, 2001 1:29 am

Mah4546,

Does Alaska have equipment that can go mia-anc nonstop? Anchorage, Dublin and Rio de Janeiro are approximately equidistant from Miami at about 4000-4200 miles.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos