Republic
Topic Author

Livery Design

Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:28 pm

Hi,

I thought I would ask here at anet since there seem to be many knowledgable posters.

Who designs liveries? Does an airline have their own department for this? Do they use an outside agency? Or do the aircraft manufacturers offer this service?

Case in point is the new Lineas Areas Azteca livery. Is this the creation of LAA or Boeing or some other designer? Or in the case of Southwest and its new livery, who designed this? Or BMI's new design?

The reason I ask this is to ask a more significant query, that being: Are there certain designers that make more appealing designs, while others are known for conservative or unappealing designs?

Rgds,
Joe

Rickster

RE: Livery Design

Fri Mar 09, 2001 11:32 pm

Joe,
to create a new ID or CI for a company is to complicated that one person can do this alone - and to explain all strategic steps from the idea to the result here. Creating a new livery normally is only a part of a very complex entire marketing process and philosophy. Most big companies do prefer long term contracts with design and marketing agencies, some do have their own departments. Some customers do know exactly what they want some don't even have an idea of what they want to do. But at the end it is the customer responsible for all project decisions.

Two examples for liveries: (i hope i get that right together it has been some time since i read that somewhere)
Austrian Airlines, they wanted to get colors on their planes representing Austria somehow. Well they have the "alpine white" fuselage (snowy mountains), the red/white/red tail from the original CI wich shows the colors of the Austrian flag. And the darkgreen/darkblue belly line for the country side and the lakes/rivers. The colors are not only used as livery - you will find them in everything plane/office interiors, coffeecups, uniforms, etc.

Or try this side - this is a very interesting explanation of a companies marketing philosophy -> http://www.laudaair.com/e/ueberuns/philosophie/index.asp

I hope that helps you a little.

Best regards
Rickster

Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:24 am

Well, the philosophy lying behind Austrian Airlines colorscheme is quite strange (I've also read an article about it). Actually, it could represent many countries: rivers, lakes, contryside are not so specific to Austria. And as virtually all airplanes have a white background, Austrian needs really to explain the origin of their one.
The addition of Austrian's logo on the tails (in the white part of Austria's flag) is in my opinion a success. I think it would have been better to make so and retain the old livery (i.e. totally white with the airline's logo (big) on the front of the fuselage and the "Austrian" titles in red).
Some designer studios have created (and are creating) corporate identity works for airlines, including aircraft liveries. But I've read that Boeing is also offering such services. I don't know if this is correct or new. I heard that El-Al's new livery for instance has been produced by Boeing. Looking at the result, I think it would be much wiser for airlines to commission a highly professional designer. Actually, the so beautiful livery El-Al's planes wore during 3 decades had been created (logotype, livery and interior decoration) by a famous Israeli designer.

Rickster

Sat Mar 10, 2001 1:19 am

Toda, Reisinger
as you are from Switzerland, the OS-livery could be used by Swissair as well, Swissairs CI - even minimalistic - definately identifies Swissair with Switzerland - a great job. I have no doubt that Boeing, Airbus, etc. are supporting costumers in creating (new) livery design if necessary. I definately agree that Austrians livery philosophy is strange, to count this two carriers was just meant as an example. The use of the basic combination red/white/green/blue is very common to other airlines as well, like f.e. MALEV (and they definately need a new design). And red/white-blue/green are obviousley the most used "basic" livery colors. The Lauda Air CI was created by the designer Hannes Rausch - who still is responsible for that. I forgot to count Delta, they also explained the philosophy of the new/new livery when they introduced it on their homepage. I just don´t like the "white" on planes all around.

Joe
to find out who created new liveries - i think the easiest way to get this information sending mails or give the airlines press office a call. Nothing wrong with that.

Regards Rickster

johnnybgoode

Sat Mar 10, 2001 9:13 pm

afaik, there are certain famous and highly profiled companies around the world, responsible for developing the corporate identity of some airlines, which often surfaces on a different paint job. i don´t recall the name of this one company, but there is a very famous one which is responsible for the SQ stuff and developed lan chile´s and bmi´s new liveries as well.

rgds
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

parisien

Sun Mar 11, 2001 4:31 am

I think the most known company who designs liveries is Landors associates. If I am not mistaken they are based in SF.
It is a very complex process to design liveries...not only marketing and company philosophy but often the history of the country in which the airline is based. Someone explained the livery of Garuda Indonesia once to me...The bird (Garuda) is a mythic bird stylized by the designers in the current look that retained the traditional head form of Garuda. The five wings of the bird represent the five principal philosophies of the country...there is also something about the colors blue and aquamarine..but I forgot. Anybody working for Landors ?
Was CX designed by Landors as well...their scheme was supposed to appeal to westerners as well as asians...the brush stroke I think is something familiar to asians...the colors are fresh and modern and western... well much better than the green stripes scheme they had before...

Sun Mar 11, 2001 8:20 am

Landor Associates have done designs for-
-British Airways
-Canadian Airlines
-Cathay Pacific Airways
-Delta Airlines
-Japan Air Lines
-Rio-Sul (affiliate of Varig)
-Singapore Airlines
http://www.landor.com

na

Sun Mar 11, 2001 8:25 am

Add Northwest, Air 2000 and Thai to your list. Their liveries are also from Landor. Landor is a one of the largest Design agency-networks with offices all over the world (founded in San Francisco). They belong to the big Young & Rubicam advertising agency.