Virgin Atlantic LHR-LAX Story

Mon Mar 12, 2001 1:40 am

Guys,

Today my dad was flying from LHR-LAX on Virgin Flt VS007. He boarded the plane that was named "Lady Penolope" (Registration???) and he was sat in his seat ready to go. Suddenly one of the cargo containers hit the side of the cargo door and so they couldn't get the planes cargo door shut. the scheduled Dep. time was 1200 Local time and then this happened. Virgin announced that they would bring in another aircrfaft to operate the flight. they also said that the Dep. time would be 1500 hours Local Time.

What are your opinions on this?
e.g. do you think that this was a good way of resolving the problem, or could Virgin have done it better?

Many thanks,

HL  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ICQ# 78720020

Olympic A-340

RE: Virgin Atlantic LHR-LAX Story

Mon Mar 12, 2001 1:48 am

Well, think about it.
If the door could not close, what else could Virgin do but send in a replacement aircraft. I am sure that trying to fix the door might have taken longer, so I believe that sending a replacement aircraft was the only way to solve the problem. Perhaps they could have sent them on a codeshare aircraft, but that might have been even harder.
BTW
I flew Lady Penelope in 1994 I believe, and it was one month old, ahh that was a great flight
Arrivederci
Olympic A-340

Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:05 am

yeah,

but what if there were no codeshare flights avialable, the plane couldn't be fixed today what would VS have done?

HL  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:06 am

How did they get another 747 to LAX in 3 hours???

Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:09 am

TWA,

That's what I was thinking; surely they would have simply be put up in a hotel/transferred to other flights?

TWAneedsNOhelp

Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:13 am

m8,

he was flying LHR-LAX so he would just get another 744 that was @ LHR

Thanks,

HL Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:18 am

I bet it was the A340 flight, which they are planning to fill up! The registration is G-VFAB! I reckon they will be offering a free ticket for people who are willing to travel tomorrow!
Iain

Ikarus

Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:28 am

I think they couldn't have done anything better - what other options are there? Waiting for the repairs is the only one I can think of.

Anyway, such things happen. When my family flew to Washington on BA a few weeks ago, they were already at the threshold of the runway when the pilots discovered an engine oil pressure problem and returned to gate - end result: 4.5 hours delay (BA decided to wait for the repairs). So basically, in our industry things do not always go smoothly and delays occur. But there is nothing that can be done to prevent that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos