SWA Aircraft Interior

Tue Mar 13, 2001 6:17 am

Hi,

I don't know if this is true or not, but I thought I heard somewhere that SWA is re-upholstering their aircraft seats to all leather. Hmmm...

sccutler

RE: SWA Aircraft Interior

Tue Mar 13, 2001 6:26 am

Yes, they are. The new scheme is tan and blue leather. Quite nice.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

aatripleseven

Tue Mar 13, 2001 8:02 am

They sure are:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Ben Wang

Tue Mar 13, 2001 8:19 am

Cattle enjoy sitting on dead cattle.

AeroGlobeAir7

Tue Mar 13, 2001 9:17 am

Yep, it's true. Their all 737 fleet will become all leather seating. They will be brown and canyon blue leather. Very interesting!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Tue Mar 13, 2001 2:11 pm

Man, those seats look hot! Do you think they will last longer then conventional fabric seats?

vngd4me

Tue Mar 13, 2001 2:24 pm

In the 30th Anniversary press release about the new Livery & interiors thats what they said;basically though they are more expensive to put in, they are supposed to be cheaper to maintain, easier to clean & will last longer than fabric. Time will tell.

seven_fifty7

Tue Mar 13, 2001 2:39 pm

That new interior may look sporty now. But the tannish/orange-ish part of those seats are gonna get real dirty eventually. I don't care what SWA claims, those seats are gonna look really shitty in another year. It won't be that easy to clean.

deltaflyertoo

Tue Mar 13, 2001 3:27 pm

I also read it is going to take 10 years to install all the a/c and paint the fleet. Is it me or is that absurd?

At least all us airliner freaks know up front so 5 years from now we won't be starting threads like, "Why is it taking so long for SW planes to reconfigure?"

CoAir@IAH

Tue Mar 13, 2001 10:29 pm

I think it is a good idea for Southwest to do something, and converting all of the interiors to "all-leather" is a step in the right direction.

But to me, the tell-tale sign of what makes Southwest (and USAirways for that matter) a "bush-league" airline is how long they say it is going to take to get their aircraft refurbished.

Point: When they get the last aircraft fitted with the new interiors, then first ones will be old. So much for consistancy. People are still going to have old-looking planes to fly on. (Also, how long did it take USAir to get all of their heaps painted? Are they even finished yet??!!??)

Southwest needs to get that done in five years or less, or they are going to be right back in the same situation in 2012.

flashmeister

Tue Mar 13, 2001 11:08 pm

I disagree - I think that Southwest is setting themselves up for a good program.

If the fleet scheduling, etc., can go smoothly for 10 years as they replace interiors and liveries, then the same program can be used indefinitely to replace interiors and overhaul them with updated technologies/amenities. They're going slow but steady, and that's what they'll have to do for the next-generation interior, too.

I hardly think that taking 10 years for almost 500 planes is out of line - that's about a plane a week. What more do you want? WN to ground their fleet and do it overnight?

AeroGlobeAir7

Tue Mar 13, 2001 11:22 pm

I believe USAirways isn't finished painting their fleet. Last year at MCI I spotted a DC-9-31 in the old interim colors, and last August at MCI one of the two Fokker F100s I spotted were in the interim colors. Air Midwest still has to repaint all of their Beech 1900s, so there's still at least a few planes in the old colors out there.

goingboeing

Tue Mar 13, 2001 11:40 pm

Memo from Herb:

Effective immediately, we will suspend service for about 6 weeks so that we can repaint our fleet and install the leather seating. People currently holding reservations will be asked to make other arrangements. We are sorry for any inconveniece this might cause, but we have been taking considerable heat from posters on airliners.net concerning our original plans to conduct this changeover over a 10 year timeframe. In retrospect, we realized that liveries are more important than making money, so we will take whatever steps are necessary to alleviate any problems in regards to our livery change.

***end of memo***

There's a reason WN has made money for 27 consecutive years - spreading a major program (livery change) over 10 years is one way of doing it. As hard as it is to believe, 99.9% of passengers really don't give a rats a** about the color of the plane they are flying. Call them bush league if you want...they make money, and there are several airlines out there (AA,UAL,DAL,NWA,etc.) who would give their left gonad to become "bush league" in that sense.