Golfhaus
Topic Author

Another EAL/BN Question...

Tue Mar 13, 2001 10:54 am

The recent post on what state Eastern and Braniff would be in had they survived today has me wondering: who owns the rights to the names "Eastern" and "Braniff." Like, if I had a couple billion lying around and wanted to name my airline Braniff International, who would sue me?

BostonBeau

RE: Another EAL/BN Question...

Tue Mar 13, 2001 11:11 am

Stange as it may seem, I think the guys that do South Park own the Braniff name. That is apparently why they play the little Braniff thing at the end of every show: it appears to be the name of their production company or something like that.

Golfhaus
Topic Author

RE: Another EAL/BN Question...

Tue Mar 13, 2001 11:17 am

Hmm... I don't think they own the right to the Braniff airline name. They have the right to name their production company Braniff for the same reason that one of our local plant nurserys is called "McDonald's Nursery" - no one is going to confuse a nursery with a fast-food restaurant, and no one is going to call Trey Parker and Matt Stone looking for airfare to Honolulu. That brings up an interesting point, though - they play that little Braniff commercial at the end. They had to go to SOMEBODY to get the right to run that. Maybe I should have asked this at the South Park forum rather than airliners.net.  Smile