777kicksass
Topic Author

How Good Will BMI Be?

Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:32 am

Does anyone know the kind of services they will offer?? Are they competing with BA/VS/AA etc. or are they a cheaper (no frills). PTVs in every seat??

Thanks
Max

p.s. What fleet are they going to have (i think i heard a332s?)

gkirk

RE: How Good Will BMI Be?

Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:14 pm

Currently the service onboard BD is better than BA and VS in my opinion. They are great and I hope they stay that way. They are not a no-frills airline and will be competing with AA on the MAN-ORD route but will not be competing with anyone on the MAN-IAD route. These routes will be operated using A330-200 a/c.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

VirginA340

Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:25 pm

I hope to see the Bermuda 2 changed just a bit so that one more US airline CO or DL can fly to LHR in exchange for BM to fly to US cities out of LHR. I don't think NWA is interested becasue they're more transpacific than transatlantic and they have a Euro hub in AMS with KLM.
"FUIMUS"

englandair

Thu Mar 15, 2001 2:12 am

BMI British Midland will offer the following on their Transatlantic flights:

Business Class
-Complimentery access to arrivals lounge at Manchester International with swimming pool, sauna & gym.
-Ergonomically designed sleeper seats with 60inches of legroom and that recline to 160 degrees.
-PTV* (9 inch screen)
-Telephone
-Fully qualified onboard chef
-Amenity kit

New Economy
-Seat with 38 inches of legroom, with lumbar support, head rest & foot rest.
-PTV*
-Telephone
-Amenity kit

Economy
-PTV*
-Seat with 32 inches of legroom, lumber support, foot rest and head rest. -Amenity kit.

*The PTVs will offer the following (in all classes):
-20 film and TV channels
-27 Nintendo games and 8 classic PC games
-2 cameras (one on the 'nose' & one in the 'belly') will show what's going on outside the aircraft.
-Moving map

Nice!

Jamie.

englandair

Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:44 am

Oh, and BMI will be code-sharing on the UK-US flights with it's Star Alliance partner, United Airlines.

http://www.flybmi.com

nickofatlanta

Thu Mar 15, 2001 5:04 am

Not entitely correct, Englandair.

United will place its code on BD-operated flights from MAN to IAD and ORD. BD will place its code on UA-operated flights from IAD and ORD to various other domestic US cities for connecting BD passengers.

However, the US Dept of Transportation recently turned down BD's request to code-share on UA's flights from LHR to the USA. This may change when / if Bermuda II changes.

chepos

Thu Mar 15, 2001 5:27 am

Ive heard British Midland is a great carrier if they move this on to there Trans Atlantic flights they will sure be a winner . Plus they have that new economy cabin which looks very good . Will the normal economy cabin be like discounted economy ????????
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

englandair

Thu Mar 15, 2001 6:55 am

Nick'- sorry, that's what I ment, I just worded it badly!

Chepos- From my experiences with them, BMI are very good!
Economy will be a 'full price' economy, but New Economy will be like a cross between economy and business class (like with Virgin Atlantic's Premium Economy).

Thu Mar 15, 2001 7:01 am

Hi,

BD were good and if bmi improve on that then they will be very good.

I flew BD on four occasions and was very satisfied each time. I am flying BD/bmi again in August (MAN-LHR-MAN) and I look forward to seeing what changes have been implemented by then.

Regards,
Dean Barnes

nickofatlanta

Thu Mar 15, 2001 7:15 am

Just out of curiousity, do any of remember Virgin 's Mid-Class. Was this similar to Economy Plus and the like?

BostonBeau

Thu Mar 15, 2001 11:20 am

Virgin's Mid-Class was renamed Premium Economy Class because people were confused as to what the name meant.