erela

SIA Raffles Or Economy?

Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:29 am

I am going to fly Singapore Airlines from Bangkok to Seoul and with Raffles fare being about the double compared to Economy, I am probably taking Economy. is there a big difference between Raffles and Economy? I´ve heard that SIA´s Economy beats many Business classes so is there a point in paying for Raffles?
Regards...

Singapore 777

RE: SIA Raffles Or Economy?

Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:47 am

Let me assure you that the Economy does NOT beat many Business Class. Economy is economy, is what you paid for, half the Business fare and this is no different on Singapore Airlines. My advice is don't walk onto the plane thinking you're walking into a palace. You might be disappointed!

ryanb741

Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:01 am

As it's a relatively short flight, economy would be fine. As Singapore 777 said though, economy will not be better than J class. Singapore Airlines' economy is good, amongst the best, but it's not THAT good! Smile
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:04 am

I actually think it's that good and excellent

I take it you're flying the 880

That's a Celestar and you will have the new Economy Class seats with footrests, winged heardrests, headrests, the world-famous KrisWorld system with it's excellent choice of Movie, Audio and TV channels, free flowing champagne and the great inflight service SIA is world-renowned for.

Hope that helps.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ryanb741

Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:10 am

When I said it's not THAT good, I meant it's not better than other airlines' Biz class.

Also, footrests, Winged headrests, great entertainment system, champagne etc, you could be talking any one of SQ, EK, BA etc.

So yes, SQ are good, amongst the very best in fact (indeed, my best ever flight was on a SQ a/c), but just don't expect them to be something they're not, as overly high expectations lead to disappointment.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:15 am

Oh right!

Yes don't expect "a palace" as said above. I was disappointed with a flight in Y class once, so I know what it feels like!
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Mit

Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:36 am

1) BKK-SEL is not a particularly short flight. At 3700 km it's equivalent to IAD-LAX or LHR-YQX(Gander). Figure about 6 hours on the plane

2) There is a big difference between economy and raffles. For all the hoopla about winged headrests and the PTV's, it is still cramped, it is still full of tourists, and the food/service/comfort level is nowhere near any business class. Raffles is 2-2-2 in a cabin of 30 on the A340, Coach is 2-4-2 in a cabin of 225. At it's best, economy should be pleasant. Raffles should be actively enjoyable.

3) Raffles also gives you priority checkin, baggage handling, boarding/deplaning, lounge access and better FF miles.

So ... Raffles is unquestionably superior; economy is good, but only special in comparison to other economy services; how do you decide? Roundtrip you might be at the airport/on the plane for 16 hours. Is it worth the difference? Depends what else you could do with the money.

ryanb741

Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:41 am

I'm sorry, but to me 6 hours is not a particularly long flight. In this context, better save your money to spend at your destination rather than pay for J class.

jocke08

Thu Mar 15, 2001 2:57 am

Hi, I WILL go by Raffles, Europe to Sydney, how will I get treated, the Economy sounds great so...

Jocke

EGGD

Thu Mar 15, 2001 3:35 am

Bangkok to Seoul? And i thought it was SINGAPORE airlines.

EGGD

usflt1778

Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:39 am

I have flown SQ on the SEL-BKK-SIN route in Raffles a couple of times during the last year. I like SQ service (vs. OZ or KE!) and the noon-time departure from SEL is convenient for me.

Although the flights were pretty full with tourists in Y class, I always had an empty seat next to me in Raffles for the SEL-BKK segments. The f/a's will move people around in C to give more space if there are open seats. Very big lunch is served. Meal choices are 1 Korean, 1 Thai and 1 Western out of SEL. PTVs in all classes with KrisWorld entertainment system. Flight is about 6 hours to BKK and they encourage (but don't require) you to stay on board at the transit stop.

The 1.5 hour leg between BKK & SIN tends to be more crowded. A light meal is served. The same flight crew flies both legs of the trip.

Either way you should have a good trip. SQ service is good by any standard and the A340 is a comfortable a/c.

Greg

Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:52 am

You'll get more space in Raffles, but that's about it. The service lately (in the last month) in Raffles has been very bad (based on two roundtrip sectors from the US). I was very dissapointed. I'm afraid their reputation for service is getting as tarnished as their reputation for safety.

If you have to pay for the ticket yourself, then save your money. Six hours is not that long a flight anymore.

SIA fan

Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:54 am

I must warn you that the seat pitch is pretty cramped on economy. If you feel leg room is important, then choose Raffles.
SQ*G BD*S

Cathay Pacific

Thu Mar 15, 2001 7:47 am

i flew with their Raffles Class from SYD to HKG via SIN (return).....their services are quite good...but nothing exciting...it was pretty much the standard type of service that you will expect from any major airline....nevertheless, i had a very enjoyable trip!!!!!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Cathay Pacific....The Heart of Asia  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

9V-SPJ

Thu Mar 15, 2001 8:40 am

I would not be prepared to pay double for Raffles than Economy, after all, SIA is very expensive. There is a big difference between these two classes but it is not worth paying double.

9V-SPJ

Singapore 777

Thu Mar 15, 2001 8:55 am

The flight 880 will soon be operated by a Boeing 777-200 with effect from the Summer schedules if I'm not mistaken. Then again, there's no difference. SIA's 777s are more comfortable than their A340s.

erela

Thanks Fellows!

Thu Mar 15, 2001 8:58 pm

Thanks for all your comments!

No, I won´t be expecting a palace from Sia´s economy if I take that, I have been on several charter flights and I am sure no routed economy can be worse than that.

And remember, only the fact that they serve champagne on economy in SIA is a first-ever thing for me, even after flying with several tens of airlines.

I get the message that Raffles is always Raffles but compare the fares 7500 baht and 21500 baht from Bangkok to Seoul and you know why I think again...

ryanb741

Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:03 pm

Erela,

Is the THB 7500 fare one way or return? If it's return that is an amazing bargain as it's cheap for a one way.

THB 7500 = Approx £120 or $175

erela

Yes, The 777-200

Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:04 pm

Yes, Singapore 777, I will take the flight in the summer, so they are already operating Triple seven on BKK-SEL. What was that Celestar you mentioned? A B-777?

erela

One-way Student Fare..

Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:06 pm

Yes,
Ryanb741, It´s a one-way student fare and as i suppose I couldn´t get Raffles for student fares, that is the reason for such a big difference...
TG would have around 10000 baht...

Singapore 777

Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:26 pm

Celestar is the marketing name SIA uses for their A340-300E aircraft.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos