BA
Topic Author

Air Wisconsin's Future.

Sat Mar 17, 2001 11:52 am

What do you all think will be Air Wisconsin's future? They are growing pretty quickly, and have a good sized fleet. They seem to really like there BAe 146s, and from what I heard they currently have no plans of replacing them any time soon. Also, a while back BAe Systems was offering them the Avro RJX, does anyone know what the status is now? Is Air Wisconsin considering the Avro RJX? They currently have a large number of Dornier 328s, will they go for the Dornier 328JET?

What do you know about there future plans? Not necessarily fleet plans. What are there future plans for there route network?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards to all.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

RE: Air Wisconsin's Future.

Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:01 pm

I hear that they want to start international service to/from DIA...They say it's a goldmine out there.

BA
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:05 pm

ummmmmmmmm..............
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2001 1:58 am

C'mon there has to be someone who knows. Any Air Wisconsin employees out there?

tito

Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:12 am

There are alot of rumors at Air Willie, the pilots are in labor negotiations at the moment so management has been hush-hush about expansion. There will not be additional 146's (the current 146 fleet is all United will allow... too big an airplane for an Express carrier under current scope clause, and the existing a/c are all being allowed to operate because United has no other jet type that can serve many of the mountain airports, particularly Aspen). Avro RJX would be nice, but again scope is an issue... unless the 146's go to the mainline.

Canadair and Embraer have been competing for an order of 75 firm plus 75 options... Rumors point to Canadair (there has been alot of press about Canadair getting Canadian government subsidies to win the AWAC order).

Much of the expansion in the Express system will depend on the UAL/USAir merger and who will end up picking up the pieces of the USAirways Express carriers, its going to be a real mess.

In the end anything to do with Air Wisconsin is all up to United, they basically own the airline... they pay for all of the equipment, expenses, training etc. A very unique arrangement (every seat is paid for even if a flight is empty).

BA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:15 am

Thank you!

DIA

Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:21 am

I have heard that since Air Wisconson is a strong company on its own, they probably won't be affected by the merger, as far as equipment is concerned.

Anyhow, those 146s have a lot of life left in them.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

ampropilot2b

Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:42 am

BA....I'm not trying to start a fight or anything about Denver (God knows this forum is sick of it). But I think Air Wisconsin's role in Denver may be downsized. I think United is really pushing skywest jets out of DIA. Wisconsin will probably get an expanded role out of ORD to compete with AMR Eagle. Eagle is all jets out of ORD, and has a very comprehensive route system, while United has poor regional organization, less than half as many jet flights, and a route system & infrastructure that is years behind AMR. While I don't think Wisconsin will leave Denver, I do think Skywest will overtake them as major regional there.

Of course my only sources are my crazy logic and a few tips from notoriously unreliable employees.

Ampropilot2b

BA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:33 am

United is building a 36 gate terminal just for Air Wisconsin and the Great Lakes Aviation.

There are only two flights flown by SkyWest from Denver. Fresno, California and Bozemon, Montana

I find it hard to believe that they will be downsizing in Denver, but I'm not doubting you.

ampropilot2b

Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:41 am

We'll see, heck, I would probably doubt me. But I heard Great Lakes has an expiring contract with UA. Also, While Skywest only has a few flights now, they are planning to expand substantially at DEN (now that the scope has been modified and they have ordered a reasonable number of RJs). I could be wrong...but I really think United needs to increase it's regional presence in ORD. ACA may be a part of it..but Wisconsin would be a better choice. Maybe Wisconsin will grow like crazy at both ORD and DEN?! It will be interesting to see just how things play out. Either way, more jets would be nice!

BA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:47 am

Yes, thats true. The contract for Great Lakes Aviation will expire.

They will no longer be a United Express operator, but they will continue operating out of Denver.

Yes, you are right, Skywest is planning on increasing service in Denver.

Over the past few years, some United Express service in ORD was changed to United Airlines service. I'm not too sure why. But United Express service is less in ORD than it used to be. I wonder why.....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos