2nd Lesson

Sun Mar 18, 2001 9:05 am

Hey,

Today I just had my second flying lesson. It was on climbing and descending while turning. I did pretty good... Anyhow, I noticed that the C172 loved to pitch up (scenario-110 knots, 1500-2500 feet, overcast, light wind, 0 flaps). Even trimmed, it still wanted to pitch upwards. Hmmm... Can any of you tell me what you've experianced with the 172?

P.S.
I have a great instructor. PLUS, I took of behind an ATA 727-200 Adv. That was cool!

SophieMaltese

RE: 2nd Lesson

Sun Mar 18, 2001 9:20 am

I had my second lesson today too, but I'm not in a 172. I was in Cessna 150 with some sort of turbo-charged something??? Not sure, it's not the normal plane I'll fly in. Anyway, it has a way of pulling to the right. I'm jealous that you got to take off behind a plane like that, I didn't get to take off behind anybody  Sad

DE727UPS

Sun Mar 18, 2001 9:23 am

There's no reason to pitch up if it's trimmed right unless you are giving back pressure to the yoke. Did you ask your CFI about it?

Sun Mar 18, 2001 10:03 am

I agree with DE727UPS, if you are trimmed right the plane will not pitch up.
You are probably not trimming it right, it is quite common for students to be so dedicated on keeping it straight and level they do not trim off all the pressures. I know for a long time on final I would never trim the plane as I was busy setting up an approach, after a bit of practice it did all come together, and then you do it without thinking! You also have to be careful with your power setting as you pitch for a certain power setting if you add power you will climb!
You have to be very careful taking off behind larger aircraft, early turnouts are pretty much essential!
Iain