sushka

My Brothers Hand.

Mon Mar 19, 2001 11:15 pm

Lately I have been trying to convince my 19 year old brother to become an airline pilot, and it is starting to work. But he has been wondering if 2 fingers missing on his right hand could stop him from becomong an airline pilot. I would think that he would never be able to fly 747s, A340s, or A380s because they have 4 engines and 4 throtles and he only has 3 fingers. (last 2 missing).
Does anyone know if this alright? Could he ever fly for the majors?
thanks for your help!
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

RE: My Brothers Hand.

Tue Mar 20, 2001 12:24 am

I do not know about it but honestly I do not believe that he'd have a chance to become a commercial pilot as they have to be in a very, very good shape elsewhere (eyes, ears, body, heart, ...).
So I think that won't be possible. But just my opinion.

AtlanticStar

tito

Tue Mar 20, 2001 1:04 am

I think he could. For certifiation he could pass his checkrides as long as he shows "demonstrated ability." I've met private pilots who were missing entire limbs. As far as commercial flying goes I personally would consider it serious unless he was missing his thumb and forefinger. Most airlines use "ability to reach and operate all controls" as the standard to be judged. He may face a bit of an uphill battle because of mis-perceptions but nowadays airlines in the U.S. are very careful about arbitrarily rejecting someone unless they can clearly show that his missing fingers was a handicap. (Many airlines such as United no longer even require a standard for visual accuity as long as you can see 20/20 when you are wearing your glasses.) Several airlines have lost costly lawsuits stemming from bias issues... height/weight ratios are no longer present, again as long as you can operate all of the equipment safely.

Don't let ANYONE keep you from pursuing your dreams. Many people told me I couldn't be an airline pilot because of what they perceived as obstacles (I was poor, and I wear glasses). The truth is they just didn't know, besides whats true today may not necessarily be the standard tommorrow. I know three people who flew in the military WITH glasses (2 F-15's, and 1 f-16)...supply and demand.

Heck, I've flown with a couple of captains who cant seem to work one thrust lever with all their fingers!  Big grin

Go for it!

Tue Mar 20, 2001 3:21 am

I think he will be fine. I medical is basically to make sure you can fly the plane safe (will not pass out or have something else that will effect your performance), and I do not feel that missing 2 fingures will effect that. I saw a hawaiian capt without a thumb, and there is another captain without an eye!
His best bet is to go to his local FAA doctor and spend $60 and see if he gets his first class medical. Then you will know for sure.
Iain

sushka

Tue Mar 20, 2001 2:05 pm

This is not me but my brother, I have nothing missing
thanks

Superfly

Tue Mar 20, 2001 2:31 pm

This is a great topic.

I have 20/20 vision and I don't need glasses.
However, I have a hole in my right ear-drum. Since I has born, I have been prone to ear inffections. I will get ear surgury at some point in the future.
I am 27 years old which is kind of old to start but does anyone have a suggestion?

How critical is your ear condition?
Bring back the Concorde

Big777jet

Tue Mar 20, 2001 3:42 pm

I saw a captain has one finger missing on UAL 727 on my flight. Southwest pilot told me that he heard one of the Midway Airlines (ex-chicago hub) pilot DC-9-30 captain has deformed hand. I hope your brother can becoming an airline pilot.

Big777jet

sushka

Thu Mar 22, 2001 2:23 am

He doesnt have access to a computer now, but I bet he will be happy. Ive convinced 2 of my brothers now!!!

JETPILOT

Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:09 am

Your brothers missing 2 fingers are a non-issue. They will in no way affect his ability to operate in a cockpit environment.

However he will need his middle finger from time to time in this proffesion. That is an important one.

Get him his medical ASAP and into a plane for some lessons.

JET

Thu Mar 22, 2001 4:55 am

>>Ive convinced 2 of my brothers now!!!<<
Do you think convincing them is in there best interest?
Iain

sushka

Thu Mar 22, 2001 2:46 pm

lainhol, What do you mean? They have always liked planes. The older brother flys the f16 but I helped him decide to go on to the airlines, And my other brother without the 2 fingers was planning on becoming a diplomat last year until I started talking to him about being an airline pilot. Now he is asking me all of these questions about the job.

Thu Mar 22, 2001 9:37 pm

What I mean is are they becoming a pilot because they want to?
Iain

sushka

Fri Mar 23, 2001 12:19 pm

yeah they want to, I couldnt make them become pilots.

Buff

Fri Mar 23, 2001 12:43 pm

Don't let ANYONE keep you from pursuing your dreams.

Welcome aboard Tito. Well said. I agree, especially since I've trained pilots who were missing fingers. As you state, "demonstrated ability" is what counts. Perhaps however different countries' legal bodies take a different attitude. In that case, get your training in another country! One that doesn't discriminate against a missing digit or two.

Unless of course it's that middle one...

Best Regards,

Buff

Airbus_A340

Fri Mar 23, 2001 6:42 pm

I have just got glasses because I am only slightly short sighted. I do not need to wear glasses all the time unless reading off the black board or reading signs far away. Will this, in any way, affect being choosen to become an airline pilot (lets say fore Cathay Pacific).
I have been wondering for some time now and I am quite worried  Confused
Regards
Trevor AKA Airbus_A340
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

sushka

Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:19 pm

I have the same vision  Smile I have been told numerous times that all you have to do is wear glasses or contacts. In USA they recently started letting pilots have laser surgury.

Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:30 pm

In there are no uncorrected requirements, your eyesight just has to be corrected to 20/20. However I have heard that some Asian countries do have a uncorrected requirements, so you might want to investigate it little more.
Iain