RootsBoy
Topic Author

Roots Air 's First A320 - FYI

Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:51 am

The first A320 for Roots Air is aircraft C-FRAA. This is an Airbus A320-232. Roots Air's first flight is on March 26th, 2001.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy CAN YOU TRADEMARK AN EXPERIENCE?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

P.S. I will be working on one of the first Roots Air flights on the 26th. I'll take some photos and post them on Airliners.net for all to see.

Regards,

RootsBoy
Flight Attendant,
Skyservice/Roots Air

watewate

RE: Roots Air 's First A320 - FYI

Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:57 am

Nice to know! Someone posted last night that Roots Air's CEO was on Prime TV. What was said?

crewchief32

Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:35 am

Are your A320`s equipped with containers or do they have to be loaded by hand??

CC32

36r

Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:57 am

what kind of service is offered in Silver class Rootsboy?

crj-900

Wed Mar 21, 2001 5:40 am

Anyone know where this airplane is currently sitting? I really want to see the paint job..... the real colours, not the digital ones. I thought it would be sitting in the new skyservice hanger already.I guess i'll see it monday.
crj-900

gmonney

Wed Mar 21, 2001 5:48 am

Is the First flight full? Is there much interest in this airline off the gun? Can we get a glimps of this paint job?

Thanks,

G
Drive it like you stole it!

mel

Wed Mar 21, 2001 8:30 am

Are the A320 aircraft 3-class or 2-class? If so, what is the seating capacity?
NO URLS in signature

rootsgirl

Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:52 am

Hi everyone,
Just got back from a RootsAir meeting, it was a long one, it took all day. For those air plane spotters in YYZ. The aircraft are coming! Friday, Saturday and Sunday! The lounge will be ready and complete by tomorrow. I hear it is really nice. The in-flight service will be amazing, I'll tell you all a little more after the first flight. AND, I am going to be on Breakfast Television on Thursday!!! Myself and a male flight attendant were asked to go on Breakfast Televison - CITY TV with our new uniforms and also to demonstrate a little RootsAir Service. We will also be doing a radio interview on CFRB on Friday. So the moment of truth, you will be able to put a face to my username !! All 3 of the 320's are coming up from the US where they have been busy getting the livery painted. What else? Have you checked out the frequent flyer program? It is great and the rewards are fabulous. So folks the big moment is coming. If you are at Terminal 3 this weekend try to get a peek at the aircraft. Also, some of us are going out to Calgary and Vancouver this weekend to start to promote the airline!
Regards, Cheers! See you all from TV land on Thursday!

watewate

Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:56 am

At around what time will you be on Breakfast TV? It's impossible to sit there all morning in hopes of catching Roots Air on television. Between which hour? 7-8 or 8-9?

Noise

To RootsBoy Or RootsGirl

Wed Mar 21, 2001 12:19 pm

Hi, I would like to know if RootsAir will have any lounges at Montreal-Dorval International Airport?

Thanks

gmonney

Wed Mar 21, 2001 12:51 pm

That could be a good thing and it could be a bad thing that you told us you were going to be on?

You might get a lot of requests from the YYZ members to go out. Maybe you would like that? I will try to watch it, just because I would like to hear what Breakfast TV has to say about aviation? I think that the interview will be kind of the stuff we already know.

Is there going to be a formal press gathering, or atleast have it in the news in prime time. I can tell you that not everyone has time in the morning to get caught up with the worlds happenings. I think that the Friday interview on CFRB will be the most rewarding, people listen to the Radio on the way to work!!! Of course keep us posted, we respect all of the information that the two of you have been able to provide.

And you know rootsgirl, you will have to join us (meaning most of the YYZ spotters) when we get together this summer!!!! If you are as bright and beautiful as you sound we'll work around your schedual.... Wink/being sarcastic

Thanks and we'll see you soon!!

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

rootsgirl

Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:35 pm

I am not too sure about a lounge in Dorval. I am sure there will be one. I'll ask about it. There will be a lounge in Vancouver and Calgary so I don't see why there would not be one in Montreal. Stay tuned for that I will check. I am not sure what time BT is on. I think it is at 7:00 a.m. if my memory serves me right. That means up at 5:00 a.m. just like for a flight (not getting away from it!) I'm not sure if they will speak of aviation in the sense that we do. I think it is just a RootsAir promo. Here is some trivia. Did you know Anne Roehmer from B.T used to be a flight attendant? Our President Russ Payson was on T.V. last night; right after Bynon, I forget the name of the show. Global Prime Time. He discussed competition in Canada, facts about RootsAir and A/C and why he was not concerned about the fact that A/C is delaying the Aeroplan- We don't really need it with our partnership agreements with other carriers. It was something the Government ordered A/C to do, not only with us but all new airlines. Over the next few weeks there will be radio shows, newspaper, T.V. We also do Canada AM soon! There will be a formal press flight. Will keep you posted on the date. First official flight is on Monday. Wonder who will post the first picture of the aircraft on aAirliners.Net? Lots of inside stuff discussed today at the meeting like the services, frequent flyer plan, Skyservice summer program. Partners - for sure the Alaska partners. Also we have agreements with Alitalia and JAL. Web-site will be updated with lots more as it comes along. I think April will be a busy month all round and things will unfold. We are all excited about it.
Ciao for now.

Noise

Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:58 pm

What kind of aggrements with Alitalia and JAL? Code-share aggrements? Is there a chance that RootsAir will code share with Alitalia on an FCO-YUL route? There are currently no airlines that fly this route, and Montreal is full of Italiens!

rootsgirl

Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:31 am

Hi Noise...that's a good question. You may want to call Alitalia and ask or wait until the RootsAir website is updated and check. I asked why the web-site was not updated yesterday with all this info. They gave me a good answer. Due to the amount of partners we have and given the fact that EACH partner has SPECIFICS in their legal agreements and contracts that must be honored-there has been tons of legal work. B/A has different clauses than Quantas for example. Each contract must be legally attended to and finalized, bith both parties and some parties as you know are on the other side of the worlsd. It has been quite a crunch to finalize everythig. However, it will all unfold over the next 30 days. They are staggering things. STOP the press on this one! We will NOT be on BT tomorrow. We just got a call that the show will be postphoned until another day! I'll let you know when. Darn....now I am back on my flight. Going to MZO tomorrow, back fairly early through! We are still doing the radio interview on Friday. I'lll keep you all posted on when the B.T. has been re-scheduled for.

yhu

Thu Mar 22, 2001 2:46 am

There is also a large Jewish population in Montreal, but we don't have a flight to TLV either. Just because there is a lot of Italians in Montreal does not meanthat a lot of people travel between YUL and FCO. Even AC only had it twice a week and it was shared with YYZ. Then they cancelled the route. Alitalia has stated that they do not plan on flying the route. So this may be a lesson that a YUL-FCO route is not that profitable.

Noise

Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:05 am

The Jewish population is nowhere near as big as the Italien population is in Montreal. While the Jewish population is decreasing in Montreal, the Italien is increasing.

I was boooked on a flight to Italy this summer and the flight was jam packed!

slawko

Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:55 am

Poked my head into the roots lounge at YYZ today, and while it is still under constrction, it looks very nice, not quite as nice as the old CP lounge, but still very nice, looks very much like a roots store, with wood panels at the entrance....very rustic, but very nice....also saw the fleet of wheel chairs being brought in....looks like they are really going ahead with this thing....hehehe  Smile
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

RootsBoy
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:01 am

Well Hello again from RootsBoy.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'm going out to Calgary on Sunday (with another airline), to fly on one of the first A320's back to Toronto on Monday night. I'm taking my digital Camera with me so that I can take photos of the outside and the inside of the aircraft for all of you to see. I may even take a pic of me in a gold Class seat, who knows.

Talk to you all before I fly out on Sunday.

Take care,

RootsBoy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

P.S. I'm not the Male Flight Attendant that will be on BT with RootsGirl, but that would have been cool.

rootsgirl

Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:44 am

YHU, no offence to the Jewish population in Mtl. I don't know how this has any bearing about Noises question. Skyservice already flies into FCO twice weekly in the spring, summer and fall, therefore I based a pure assumption by having this knowledge. As I said, I am not sure and I advised Noise to inquire as to the possibility. Yes, Slawko, I heard the lounge is very "Roots" looking, hardwood floors etc. I guess the wheelchairs are for the weary flight attendants! Ha! Ha! I have a flight tomorrow that comes in at 14:55, think I'll pop up to the lounge and take a look around myself. Rootsboy, are you flying tomorrow. I am, yuk, 04:50 check in. If I don't speak to you prior to Sunday (I will try, but I am busy busy busy all weeekend) Have a bon voyage! Safe flight, happy landing and all that stuff! P.S. Rootsboy,Mrs. Tnuc says hello, apparently there is going to be a fall wedding in Tuscany.

slawko

Rootsgirl

Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:51 am

You guys must be expecting a lot of these tired F/A's because you have so many wheelchairs taht they are blocking the hallway behind our offices!
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

cylw

Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:32 pm

Roots' 727 at YLW looks like it's almost finished. A correction to my earlier post, they only have 1 727 here at YLW. The thing that threw me off is that the sides of the tail are painted differently. One side looks like a cardigan sweater (mostly red with horizontal black and brown stripes) and the other side is red (I think) with the Roots "R" in a circle.

Rootsboy/girl, are the whole fleet going to be painted like this?

RootsBoy
Topic Author

To: Cylw

Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:59 pm

To: CYLW

I'm sure all the tails will be a little different in colour. I think there will be 3 types. Forgot what the pics looked like at Roots training. Oh well, we will find out soon.

P.S. Do you mind taking a photo of the 727 and posting it on Airliners.net?

P.P.S. RootsGirl, I hope Mrs. Tnuc is ok. I have to call her one day to see how everything is with her.

rootsgirl

Thu Mar 22, 2001 5:39 pm

Just leaving for the airport now. CYLW, YES, All the tails will be painted the same, and will have double sides. Rootsboy, YQT sent me pics of the aircraft yesterday, I'll send them to you when I get home today.Nighty Night!

Noise

RootsAir's Aircraft Colours

Fri Mar 23, 2001 12:38 am

On RootsAir's original website, it showed their planes's (A330s) tails painted in different colours(blue, red, green and I think yellow). Is that still going to happen or will the entire fleet have all the same colour tails?

By the way, how many A320s and A330s will RootsAir have in it's fleet?

Thanks

AirCanadaMan

Fri Mar 23, 2001 1:07 am

Rootsboy/Rootsgirl,
Do either of you know where the 727 came from?
There was some speculation of it comming from First Air however I doubted that very much.
Is RootsAir planning on flying just the one 727 until more A320's show up or are they planning on adding more?
(Although I thought the fleet plan was for A320's and A330's)

RootsBoy
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2001 2:49 am

I can't remember the exact numbers, but we are sched to gat many A320's within the next 3 years. I think the first A330 for Roots Air will arrive in April or early May. The 2nd A330 for Roots Air will follow within 2 months after the first I think. I also think we are getting about 3 A330's in total. RootsGirl would know more about that. As far as tail color goes, Roots Air had done some re modifications on the entire livery. Tails are classy looking, and the Roots Braver is out. (Thank god!)

P.S. The 727 will be used only as a back up from what I hear. I do know that the 727 will be out of the pic as soon as we can get the number of 320's we need, plus a 320 to serve as a back up to take the place of the 727. I think the 727 is coming from Kalowna (if that's how you spell it) flightcraft and is an ex Greyhound Air aircraft.

My baby, Skyservice's A330 C-FBUS will be back by the first week of May. Thank God!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

slawko

Fri Mar 23, 2001 3:08 am

From what I understand, and from what I have heard from people in Kelowna it is not one of the ex-grayhound planes, but it is a 727-100 that has been converted from the cargo version....all of greyhounds planes are full cargo now, there are no more pax -200's in Kelowna's fleet, and I recall someone saying they saw two planes in roots colours at Kelowna, but this is unconfirmed.

mel

Fri Mar 23, 2001 5:48 am

Maybe the 727 will have winglets!
NO URLS in signature

crj-900

Question?

Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:21 am

Is it just me or does anyone else picture rootsboy//rootsgirl to be a bunch of roots corperate executives sitting around a computer spreading the good (roots) word!!! No offence if I'm wrong, but they don't seem to have individual personalities....its like a few opinions pasted together. Sure they add some personal details.....but they sound made up!
just a thought crj-900

slawko

Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:26 am

I did not see anything on BT this morning, and I watched from 7am did anyone see it from 6am??? I heard or saw nothing about ROOTs. Also Rootsgirl, first you said that you will be on TV in the morning, but then in a later post you said you had to check in for a flight at 4:50 am....so how did that work????

WG YQT

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:05 am

Ahh here we go. Tension builds!

RootsGirl was supposed to be on the TV this morning but there was difficulty getting the leather gold/silver class seats to the studio. Apparently that will now happen next week. Ever heard of a 'call-in?' Its when you're were not supposed to fly but get 'called-in' because someone was ill etc. As for RootsGirl & Boy being coporate executives - no. I know them both and they are two very enthusiastic F/A's who are very much looking forward to launch of a new airline. The majority of F/A's at Sky/Roots are energetic and hyped about the whole thing, as am I!

On another note C-FRAA and C-FRAR (A320's) are ready to go. I have pictures of them both while still in the paint shop in the U.S. RAA should arrive Friday. As soon a someone (Slawko?!?!) sees one in YYZ I'll post all the Pics - 10 in total.

Cheers and look to the skies if you're in YYZ!
WG YQT  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cargyvr

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:20 am

Hey... How come you don't want to post the pics now??

cylw

RE: Roots Air 's First 727

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:34 am

The 727 is being leased from Kelowna Flightcraft. It's a 727-214 C-GOKF. I'll try to get a picture soon. I dont have a scanner so it may be a few days.

cargyvr

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:39 am

What is operating on the YYZ-YVR flight on Monday? A320 ?

rootsgirl

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:49 am

No CRj900, I am not a Roots exec, I am a Customer Service Manager In-flight. I just love aviation and I am obviously enthusiastic not only about the airline that I work for but many other aspects of aviation- I answer lots of different postings, but the Roots postings are ones that I can provide some inside truth to and not speculations. Anyway, Slawko, I did put a posting up about B.T. being postphoned, and then I got drafted to fly because I was now consisered available. Hey that's llife. CFRB tomorrow and on Saturday. Ciao, lots of action going to be happening in the next few days over at T-3, Slawko, I'm sure you'll be around.

crj-900

Sorry. . . . .

Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:07 am

....I was just reading you're interesting post "rootsair on prime.".....if that odesn't sound like a bunch of corperate executives I don't know what does(?).
 Laugh out loud crj-900

slawko

RE: Sorry. . . . .

Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:12 am

OK, thanks...I did not see that post...I can;t wait to see the first planes tomorrow too, and I am not sure if I will be around the airport tomorrow...depending on if one of our "new" planes arrives tomorrow NAX for those spotters out there.....If not I will be around all weekend 4am-12pm so I should be able to get a shot of the new planes then....

yhu

Rootsgirl

Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:13 am

I thought I addressed Noise's comment quite plainly. Many Montreal Enthusiasts assume that a large population from that country in Montreal equals a profitable route. As FCO and TLV from Dorval have proved this not to be the case, I made that comment. It's all Montreal Airport politics which you really have to be into to get (we have the strangest things happen in Montreal). I'm sure Rootsair will see this once they have used Dorval for a month.

Noise

RE: Rootsgirl

Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:30 am

YHU is right, we have the worst Airport Administration here in Montreal!

RootsBoy
Topic Author

RE: Rootsgirl ATT: CRJ-900

Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:32 am

Dear CRJ-900

FYI, I'm a Skyservice/Roots Air "Flight Attendant". I'm not a Roots Exec.

Sorry for loveing my job too much  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

crj-900

RE: Rootsgirl ATT: CRJ-900

Fri Mar 23, 2001 1:14 pm

don't worry, you're secret is safe with me. Wink/being sarcastic crj-900

Fri Mar 23, 2001 1:38 pm

Few questions....

Will RootsAir have its own dedicated staff or will employees be interchangeable with Skyservice?

Also, if it is an exclusive staff, how will employees be chosen to work for Roots and not the charter operation.

Also, will the pay be different for Roots and Skyservice FAs, pilots, etc....

What is Roots' tie to Airtours, if there is any?

Who owns RootsAir? Is it owned by Skyservice Canada and did Roots pay to lend its name to the operation? Or are both equity partners?

Lastly, what will RootsAir do that others like Canjet, Wardair, etc.... didn't, to survive and be successful?

rgds
russell

PS: Slawko, what airline do you work for at YYZ?

rootsgirl

Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:54 pm

CRj-900. Well, Well I can't believe you would scrutinize my comment "RootsAir on Prime", I think I stated I was not sure of the name of the T.V. show...Prime time on global or something. Hate to dissappoint you, but sorry you are wrong on this one. I am a flight attendant. Actually, I have met WG-YQT in Thunder Bay, so he knows for a fact I am not associated with the marketing dept or the corprate execs at RootsAir. Same for Rootsboy. But- I won't waste any more time "proving" our positon in the airline, if you think we are execs, I'll take that as a compliment. But do us a favor, please to contact the RootsAir/Skyservice Directors and dicuss an increase to our salary! Cheers!

TWAneedsNOhelp
a) SSV &RootsAir crews will all be interchangeable, pilots too. Just picked up my block for April, I have a mixture of flying. There are certain uniform pieces that will be deleted when we fly with SSV. Pay is the exact same. Technically we all work for Skyservice. RootsAir and Sporthawk ae under the Skyservice umbrella.

b) RootsAir has NO tie to Airtours. Airtours is strictly charter, therefore SSV has the tie to them.

c) Russell Payson is the President and owner of Skyservice. You are correct, Roots joining with SSV is mutually rewarding, we get the Roots branding and they get to be 20% of an airline.

d) As a crew-member, I do not know the answer to your last question, however the employees have asked that. There are lots of things that RootsAir will have that the others did not - Established World partners is a biggy, but that does not always mean anything. We'll have to wait this one out and see how it unfolds. I'm betting on a winner!

RootsBoy
Topic Author

RE: Roots Air 's First A320

Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:52 am

Well said RootsGirl. P.S. We have a YYC layover together in April.

CRJ-900, I don't have time for child games. If you would like to act like a child, please visit www.barney.com.

Samurai 777

Sat Mar 24, 2001 2:42 am

RootsBoy and/or RootsGirl,

What's the seating capacity of Roots Air's A320s and A330-300s by class? I take it that there will be three classes, as advertised by the airline.

The first flight on Monday the 26th will from YYC to YYZ - is that right? Or is it the other way around? Forgive me if that sounds like a dumb question, but I want to clear things up. I'm sure the A320 will be used, since the 727 is an older aircraft and it might not help the airline's image any if an older aircraft is used on the first one or two flights while it's saying it has A320s! But then again, I've been told that the 727s are actually backup aircraft in case the A320 cannot be used.  Smile

Have a nice first flight!
Samurai 777

rootsgirl

Sat Mar 24, 2001 10:14 am

Hi Samurai 777. The seating capacity on the A-320 is 126. There are 3 classes, gold, silver and bronze. The capacity on the A-330 is 316 pax.

There has been so much talk about the 727's. As far as I know and in answer to any questions I have presented regarding the 727---RootsAir wanted to have a back up plan for the launch date. One of our A320's TDC was pulled from the SSV charter fleet and sent to be reconfigured. Galleys changed, closets added, seating reconfigured, interior reconfigured, livery etc. The other A-320's were or are still going through the same thing. Delivery date to YYZ is expected to start today with one arrival, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. BUT if anything goes wrong with the anticipated dates for delivery, RootsAir still needs aircraft. Bring in the 727 (back up). The 727 was initially designed to be used ONLY as a backup aircraft, also for adhocs and crew positioning. Given the fact it was already in the works, the airline decided to use it as a back up for 6J also. I know the advertising states that the fleet is airbus, and for that fact, I reccommend to anyone who has questions, comments or concerns about this to E-mail www.rootsair.com and ask them directly about the 727. As a Sporthawk qualified f/a, I personally love the 727. It is wider than the 320 and I love the feel of boeings in-flight. I am confident that if they are maintained well, they are 100% safe. Or current 727's are used to transport a lot of very famous athletes and I know they are maintained with kid gloves. Still, the discerning traveller may think different. I don't know anything more than what I have told you, but even if they ever have to use the 727, they can call me to operate the flight! Best Regards!

No YYC

Sat Mar 24, 2001 10:22 am

Rootsboy or Rootsgirl,

Would either of you happen to know where the A320's were painted/refurbished. I think it was mentioned previously that they were coming up from the states, but didn't say from where exactly.

slawko

Sat Mar 24, 2001 11:11 am

Was around YYZ for better part of the day today but didn;t see the plane...although they probalby landed on 24R/06L and took it right into the south hangar....

WG YQT

Sat Mar 24, 2001 11:14 am

A couple of things:

No YYC - Two A320's (C-FRAA & C-FRAR) were painted in the Lake Charles EADS facility in the States. I am not sure who did the interior retro's.

As for pictures of the aircraft I just uploaded two pics one of each side of the aircraft. Just waiting to see now if they are approved by the powers that be! I am sure they will. I will have more to post by Sunday.

Ciao
WG YQT  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

RootsBoy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 24, 2001 11:50 am

Called OP's tonight. OP's told me that the first Roots Aircraft will land tonight March 23rd 2001 at about 2200L. I have a flight in the morning and will try to take a photos or to or three or four of the new plane. Tomorrow will be my last Skyservice flight till the summer. I have all Calgary layovers and 1 Calgary turn at the end of March, and I only have Calgary layovers in April. Tomorrow will be the last time I will put on my Skyservice uniform. Starting on March 26th, everyone will be in the new Roots Air uniform.