USAFHummer
Topic Author

For ATCT...av-related On Etops

Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:00 am

Hi,

I thought you might like to see these pics as proof of US 757's not being ETOPS certified and not being legally capable of trans-atlantic flights...

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

This is of a CO 752 with the ETOPS painting on the lower gear door...

Now here is a US 752..

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Roozbeh M. Davoodi

You will notice the lack of "ETOPS" on the nose gear door of the US 752, whereas it is clearly visible on the CO 752, and in case you were wondering "ETOPS" is painted on the other nose gear door (not visible)...I now this from seeing a CO 752 from the other side and seeing "ETOPS" on it...

Case closed-US 757's are NOT ETOPS certified...and there is no good reason for them to be anyway, as the 757's do not need all the extra weight of overwater survival gear when they fly transcons and no ETOPS-necessary route...

Another source of mine indicated that CO, UA, and TW are the only airlines to have 757's ETOPS certified...e-mail me and I will be happy to provide a URL...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

RE: For ATCT...av-related On Etops

Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:16 am

Hello,

Yes, he's right. As you can remember that a few days ago a CO B757-200 had to make an emergency landing in the U.K. Its flight was from Somewhere, U.K. to Newark, New Jersey. That is definately an ETOPS flight! I can't say whether U.S. Air's B752's are ETOPS certified, but I'm just confirming that he knows his shit.

Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:21 am

Oops,

I honestly thought there were other people that posted! I'm tired. Anyway, I'm defending USAFHummer in advance. Sorry!

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:56 pm

Thanks Flyer...you will notice when you expand the pics that ETOPS is clearly visible on the CO 757 nose gear door, but not on the US 757 nose gear door...

I also am bringing this to the top so ATCT can see this evidence and make his response...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:22 am

USAFhummer,

Your argument isnt valid, it is quite possible that an airline operates all its B757's to ETOPS standards, therefore there is no required to differentiate between them. You therefore need to come up with a better justification.

(I’m not saying that US Air’s aircraft are certified or aren’t certified, because I don’t know.)

GOT

Thu Mar 22, 2001 2:20 am

I'm just wondering: What would US need ETOPS certified 757's for? They have A330 for the transatlantic flights and they are good enough. And I don't think 757 is mentioned to be a transatlantic aircraft, some carriers only uses it like that.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos