watewate

MIR= Free Tacos For Americans (cross Our Fingers!)

Wed Mar 21, 2001 5:12 pm

I thought it was interesting seeing how everyone is so concerned with MIR's re-entry. I cross my fingers for all the American forum members.

FREE TACOS FOR U.S. IF MIR HITS FLOATING TACO BELL® OCEAN TARGET
Taco Bell sets 40 by 40 foot target in South Pacific for Mir's Re-entry

IRVINE, CA, March 20, 2001 -- Taco Bell is offering a free taco to everyone in the U.S. if the core of the Mir space station hits a floating Taco Bell target placed in the South Pacific. Later this week, all eyes will be fixed on the sky in anticipation of the 150-ton space station's return to earth.
Taco Bell has created a 40 by 40-foot target, painted with a Bell bull's-eye and bold purple letters stating: "Free Taco Here." The floating target will be placed in the South Pacific Ocean off the coast of Australia in advance of Mir's descent.
"Taco Bell is capturing the imagination of millions of people as they eagerly await Mir's return to earth," said Chris Becker, vice president of brand communications, Taco Bell Corp. "If Mir rings our bell, we will offer a free taco to everyone in the U.S.," added Becker.
If the core of Mir hits the designated Taco Bell target upon its re-entry, every person in the U.S. will have an opportunity to obtain a coupon for a free taco, valid at participating Taco Bell restaurants. Coupon distribution, redemption and offer details will be made available to consumers on the Taco Bell website and in press materials should this event occur. Taco Bell has purchased an insurance policy to cover the anticipated cost of the free taco redemption should the core of Mir hit the target.
Mir is the biggest object ever to be brought back to Earth and its re-entry is considered one of the most extraordinary celestial events in history. The 15-year-old space station is expected to pass over Japan before plummeting into the South Pacific, where the Taco Bell floating target awaits its descent.

http://a1980.g.akamai.net/7/1980/2943/1297bea0b24ecb/4.18.84.31/3company/2business/images/low_res2.jpg

RE: MIR= Free Tacos For Americans (cross Our Fingers!)

Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:00 am

Now there's a promotion for you! It's too bad that there weren't any famous pieces of falling space junk around during my days at Eastern. Something like this might have saved the company.

Regards,
Marty

vngd4me

Thu Mar 22, 2001 2:23 am

Woo Hoo! Free Taco's, I'm keeping my fingers crossed... pretty slim chance I'd guess but "yo quiero" anyway  Smile

767ALLTHEWAY

Thu Mar 22, 2001 2:28 am

If it does hit the target it might cost Taco Bell upwards of 10 Million Dollars!
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

morecy

Thu Mar 22, 2001 2:58 am

Has anyone calculated the odds of MIR actually hitting this thing?

mdsmith11

Thu Mar 22, 2001 6:56 am

Too damn funny...I love it.

Mark from UAL @ MSY, where the weather is great, but I'm not feeling so good.

I Like To Fly

Thu Mar 22, 2001 8:28 am

>>Has anyone calculated the odds of MIR actually hitting this thing?

I heard on a news update on my local radio station that the odds of Taco Bell buying one Powerball (big lottery in the US) ticket and winning the jackpot would have better odds than MIR's core hitting the target. But you never know!

AA 737-800

Thu Mar 22, 2001 8:43 am

Today in geometry class this question came up, and by my teacher's calulation (I don't know how right this is). There is a .00006% chance of MIR hitting the target.
Civil engineering isn't about making things perfect...just better.

RayChuang

Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:56 pm

It should be noted that the company that owns Taco Bell (and Pizza Hut/Kentucky Fried Chicken) has done promotions that are space related before.

Remember the launch of the first module of the International Space Station? The rocket had a Pizza Hut logo painted on the side of the rocket.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos