Zagat's Survey Of NW

Thu Mar 22, 2001 6:30 am

“Average in every way” sums up popular opinion of this large carrier, which runs into turbulence with surveyors over planes that “should be on the Antiques Roadshow”, “bad attitudes” from flight attendants, “drab food”, “chronically undependable” scheduling and “skyway robbery” on fares to “monopoly destinations” like its hubs in Detroit and Minneapolis; this “knuckle-dragger” really “doesn’t deserve to code-share with Continental.”

My sentiments exactly.

From the 2001 Zagat's survey of US Airlines available on www.zagats.com.

ContinentalEWR

RE: Zagat's Survey Of NW

Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:23 am

I couldn't have said it better. Northwest is a truly crap carrier with gas guzzling planes, lousy service (if you can call it service) and an absolutely spiteful relationship with its customers. This carrier perenially
ranks at the very bottom of the rankings in my mind and probably dragged KLM down too.

ContinentalEWR

N312RC

Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:43 am

As a Detroit native, I agree to the full extent.

But...........

There will be more people who are fans of this crummy airline and WILL stick up for them. I used to, but then I realized, this airline needs to clean up it's act. If a very established company like ZAGAT says so, then...........
N/A

Spacepope

Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:50 am

I fly very rarely, as being a college student, I cannot afford to. I flew 4 segments for thanksgiving last year, coming home to Lansing, all on NW, all on DC-9's (very nice!). Mechanics delayed me one hour in DTW while trying to locate a flashlight, but I was in FC all 4 times, so what's a little time to kick back and have a few beers? That being said, I still wouldn't hesitate to fly them if they were the cheapest fare available. It sucks being poor.

The last of the famous international playboys

Thu Mar 22, 2001 8:14 am

And it gets better. This is from the International respondants from the Zagat's survery:

With “flight attendants who go out of their way to showcase their bad attitudes”, it’s little wonder that this airline rates so poorly; add to this “disgraceful” food on long hauls, “old planes” (“cramped DC-10s” Big grin and a “Detroit hub that’s an embarrassment” and some would prefer to “fly coach on other airlines than first class on this one”; if only it could “learn form its KLM partner” says surveyors.

DTW/ORD Fan!

Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:56 am

Excuse me, That "DETROIT EMBARRASSMENT" will be one of the nicest hub facilities in the world when it opens this December.
Northwest is activly getting a newer fleet. The DC-10's will begin to be phased out in 2002-3 by A330-300's and 757-300's. NW is getting tons of new A320 and A319 aircraft. The old 727's are almost gone. The DC-9's new 717 interiors are beautiful, and the 9's and 742's will last a while longer.
YES, the service needs an upgrade. A big one. You will get delays with any and every large airline at hubs. As for on-time, they are one of the best. But service is still one of the worst in the business. But that is CHANGING!
Yes, they do have a monopoly at DTW and MSP, but their managment is greedy as hell.
And yes, they were the most improved US airline in 2000, sorry folks.

AgnusBymaster

Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:16 am

Well, my sister wasn't real thrilled with her latest NW experience. Her flight from Seattle to Honolulu was delayed 7 hours due to mechanical problems, and then her flight back was delayed 2 hours due to another mechanical. She also complained about the lack of legroom on the DC-10s  Big grin

747buff

Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:32 pm

They also need to serve Coke instead of Pepsi.
At Eastern, we earn our wings every day!

nwa747-400

Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:37 pm

“chronically undependable” scheduling - RIGHT THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FROM THE #1 ONTIME AIRLINE FROM 1990-1999 and #2 airline in 2000 and #1 so far in 2001.

“monopoly destinations” like its hubs in Detroit and Minneapolis - RIGHT AND DELTA DOESN'T DO THAT IN ATLANTA, CONTINENTAL AT NEWARK, AA AND UA AT OHARE...etc.

“doesn’t deserve to code-share with Continental.” - MAYBE NOT A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, BUT THEY SURE DO NOW.

I am so sick of people giving poor reviews on Northwest based on old experiences from a couple of years ago. Look at how far they have come since 1998. Think about Continental as recently as 1996, they were the laughing stock of the industry.

Online checkin, eticket self service checkin, better food, new airlpanes (or really updated older ones), better business class (on the ground and in the air), great ontime performance, great elite benefits (unlimited domestic upgrades that you can actually get), and the list goes on....

NW has come so far and is still on the way up!

azjubilee

Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:46 pm

NWA747-400 --

I totally agree! I have been flying NW since 1991 and actually haven't had very many problems. I have had my share of delays etc... but that is to be expected.

I firmly believe that you will be treated the way you treat other people. I am understanding and flexible and outwardly nice to the agents, fa's etc... I get it back in the form of smiles and wonderful service. These allegations of surly flights attendants and bad service is unfounded by me.

I also believe that people expect way too damn much out of the airlines. They are forms of transportation, therefore they really only need to transport us safely and reliably. Both of which NW does terrifically. On the matter of food, I don't expect a meal when I fly. If there isn't a meal, I plan accordingly. It isn't a flying restaurant is it?

Most Americans are quick to complain, only concentrate on the negatives, are totally selfish and are never willing to make a bad situation better.

Hmph... my 2 cents and will always stand behind my red tails!

AZJ

Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:02 pm

I have enjoyed most of my experiences on NW. The flights are usually full, but I guess that is good for business. The FA's are very friendly and they are mostly ontime (unless one of the hubs has a storm)

I have seen all the ontime performance stats and they look good. I think that saying CO's program "onepass" is so much better is crazy when "woldperks" is identical.

Seating on NW is everybit as comfortable in the Main Cabin as others (obviously excluding UA EconPlus...but us regulars don't get to sit there, and AA MRTC)

The airplanes might be old, but the NW maintainece is excellent and the planes are very well kept. I have seen 30 year old DC-9s that look a million times better than others 10 year old 757s (inside and out). NW has spent millions ensuring their airplanes are great to fly on.

While I don't expect much from airline food, I have come to expect at least edible and most of the time pretty tasty food on NW. There is certainly more food than others offer.

I can't wait for the new planes that are on the way. The newer 757s, A319s, and A320s are very comfortable and I am sure the 757-300s and A330s will be great. I don't think there is any rush to replace the reliable DC9-30/40/50s and 747-200s. They are very good airplanes.

The most unreliable airplanes in the fleet are the 747-100s (which are gone) the 727-200s (which are going to be out next year) the DC9-10s (which are going in the next couple of years) and the DC10-40s (which are going this year and next year).

Contrary to popular belief, fleet age isn't all that matters. For example, TWA has a younger fleet age, and now they are bankrupt.

What really matters is running a great airline that is Ontime,clean, safe, and professional. All the things NW does BEST!

Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:03 pm

For all those who are sick of NW at DTW: Help is coming.

Regards,
Marty

Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:05 pm

Never flown NW, but I do remember the huge spread in the Wall Street Journal a year or two ago about those people trapped in a 757 at DTW for like 9 hours 2 years ago.

Also, they serve Pepsi, instead of Coke? Rock On!

rgds
russ

bhmal

Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:41 pm

I have been flying NW exclusively (when I can) since 1992 and I completely agree with AZJubilee. I treat others the way I want to be treated. I try to be friendly and polite and since 92 I've never been treated rudely by any NW employee. Sure, some employees have bad days just like I do but the worst treatment I ever had was still polite, just short. Many more times than not I get friendly service, smiles and polite treatment from NW employees.

I was an airline brat as a kid and thus have been flying all my life and have watched the changes in the industry go from exclusive, lavish service in the 80's to the bad service of the early 90's to where it is now. You pay for cheap transportation (in most cases) and get certain amenities to go with it. I don't expect a meal or anything else but it is nice. I don't think NW food is horrible. It certainly isn't four star restaurant quality but it holds you over until you can get a decent meal and in most cases it is actually pretty good food.

Perhaps my expectations are lower than others but I am happy with NW and my Worldperks FF program. I have taken 4 free roundtrips for vacations in the past 4 years. Just my opinion.

Fri Mar 23, 2001 1:39 am

N312RC,

You're right they are circling the wagons.

If you look at the entire Zagat's survey, they had nice things to say about every airline except NW. Your posts above may all be factually correct (new planes, new terminals, etc.) but the 31,000 people who filled out this survey don't agree.

"Most Americans are quick to complain, only concentrate on the negatives, are totally selfish and are never willing to make a bad situation better."

Thanks for the generalization. I couldn't disagree more.
Why don't you read the survey results and see what totally selfish Americans said about Continental, Alaska, United, Southwest and even TWA. Then re-read NW. Sorry fellas but they have done nothing to impress me lately

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 23, 2001 1:58 am

In any survey, the preception usually lags 2/3 years behind the reality. In '96, CO was starting to win a bunch of customer service awards, but for that year, the yearly rankings of carriers put out by that one college (Tulsa?) ranked CO dead last among the airlines, even though CO was near the top in on-time performance and baggage handling, and complaints had been cut in half. The perception was still there that this was the same airline Lorenzo drove into the ground, but the reality was different.

For NW, it may be the same thing. They have been in the top 2 for on-time the last 2 years; they are modernizing their fleet. But the perception still lags.

One reason I believe it lags is the never-ending labor problems at NW. That debate is for another time, as I imagine all sides have enough blame to go around for the continued bitterness between labor/management. Until haromony is restored between those parties, the perception will remain. Employees who are not happy with their job and their employee will convey that attitude, whether they try to or not.

NW has gotten better, but you know there's a problem when a BizFirst who's CLE-LGW flight is delayed refuses the Business class on NW, and says he'd rather fly coach on CO than Business on NW.

If they get their labor problems settled-and that's a big IF, the perception will eventually change.

sxmarbury33

Fri Mar 23, 2001 4:06 am

Hey is there any way you could post a site to read all the airlines ratings etc. from Zigat.

nwa747-400

Fri Mar 23, 2001 4:18 am

"If they get their labor problems settled-and that's a big IF, the perception will eventually change. "

Northwest has new contracts with all employees except the mechanics (which they are trying hard to fix now) and the New CEO said he is focusing on two major things Customer and employee satisfaction. So it should be getting better. I have already seen vast changes in employee morale flying around the NW system. I think when the new DTW terminal opens, things will really improve.

I do believe about the lag time, and I think NW has suffered enough for the problem it had in 1998. Comon guys, NW is running a great operation now.

It disgusts me that after the year United has last year the survey still had great things to say about them. How many millions of people's travel plans did they ruin???

These surveys all seem so biased. The only survey I have seen that isn't is the one published by the DOT. The Air Travel Consumer Report publishes the facts, and that is what counts.

Looking at that survey NW continues to be a top 3 airline!

GIVE THEM THE CREDIT THEY HAVE WORKED SO HARD TO DESERVE!!!!!

I am flying them tomorrow from Bloomington, IL to Memphis to Detroit and I am really looking forward to flying on Northwest. ( I already checked in on the internet and it only took 3 minutes!)

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:17 am

NWA747-400

The Air Travel Consumer Report is not exactly fact. It is a compulation of all the consumer complaints that are reported to the DOT. Most people cannot be bothered to write to the DOT if their F/A was rude to them. Most people wouldn't take the time to fill out this type of information.

Zagat's and other guides take polls of thousands of readers and ask them to rank their statisfaction level.

You are obviously very pro-NWA and frankly that's great. It is nice to see people getting behind airlines. I have a feeling that someone in your family works for them. I have been critical in the past of NW since in most cases, their service has been less than satisfactory. Don't let your admiration for NW cloud some obvious shortcomings.

seven_fifty7

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:18 am

I really, really would like to know Gordon Bethune's thoughts on his large, misunderstood codeshare partner. I mean, that guy is really doing quite a brainwashing job on all of his "happy" employees, making them believe that his "award-winning" CO is the best carrier since Pop Tarts. I've even heard that CO's arrogant flight attendants regularly bash NW to CO's own passengers! And considering how Bethune tries to berate UA and the other larger carriers regularly, I'd love to know how he feels about NW.

EIPremier

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:39 am

The other problem with the DOT report is that certain airlines make more effort to intercept complaints before they ever reach the government. You could say these airlines are showing a commitment to customer service by doing this, but at the same time, it means legit complaints are often not reaching the DOT.

For example, certain airlines stock those "Customer Comment" forms throughout their airports and are much more responsive to customer e-mail and phone calls. Often, a passenger will try to resolve a complaint with the airline first and then if they are not successful, they will go to the government.

However, when filling out a survey, such as the Zagat survey, you will see more mention of the problems which the airline was able to successfully resolve. It's also important to note the Zagat survey criteria---food, service and comfort. No mention of the things the DOT covers, such as baggage handling, overbooking and on-time performance.

Also, on the issue of delays, some airlines, such as Alaska and Southwest experience a lot of short, inconsequencial delays, while other airlines pad their schedules heavily. These airlines may have few short delays, but may still have other operational problems leading to elongated delays.

nwa747-400

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:47 am

Nobody in my family works for NW. My dad is an accoutant and my mother has done a wonderful job of raising me and my brother.

I just like airlines that run ontime, get me there with my bags, are safe, and professional. I like CO and AA too for those reasons too. I have just flown NW the most and they have been very consistent. I will support NW no matter how much other people critizice me for doing it because I have no reason other than to say good things about them and their operation.

I think that offering passengers a chance to resolve complaints with the airline is a great idea and shows a tru commitment to customer service. I would much rather be able to complain to the airline and get a travel voucher, as opposed to complaining to the government and becoming a statistic in their report.

I think the DOT reports the facts as they are hear and now and do rely on the lagging problem of cosumers. For example, most of the travelling public still think "Northwest....people stuck on airplanes in DTW for 9 hours" even though NW is one of the most ontime airlines ever to fly, while they think "United....wow big airline, they must be good" forgetting the hell they put everyone through last year.

Just my ideas.

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 23, 2001 1:18 pm

757, get off your high horse. If you don't like to look at the facts, then don't. You don't make the Fortune 100 list of Best Places to work unless our employees are happy; you don't win Customer Serivce awards unless many of your customers are happy. Got it? Not brainwashing, just doing the job the right way.

People at every airline tend to bash the competition from time to time-that's why it's called competition. As for what Gordon thinks of NW, well, he just sealed a 25-year Alliance with them, so he must not be to upset, don't you think?

toxtethogrady

My Two Cents?They're Cheapskates

Fri Mar 23, 2001 1:34 pm

...and it shows. They are living like Nyrop is still in charge. Only they would find value in retrofitting all their DC-9's rather than spiffing up with new Airbuses (c'mon guys, you bought the A320 and 319. Buy the 318 and give the old 9's a nice retirement!) Only they would think they could pay $60 million for a $90 million terminal building. No wonder they seem to go on strike every five years.

Republic

Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:27 pm

My girlfriend goes to college in Virginia. Since I live in Houston, when she comes to visit, I make every atempt to book her on the hometown airline CO. In the last year, she has flown NW 3 times from ROA, CO 3 times from ORF, and DL 1 time from ROA.

She has no clue whether it is a 735 or 320 or 727. As much as I try to get her to prefer CO, she consistently likes NW's food and service and their A319/320s better than CO and their 735s, and especially DL( for a 6 hr connecting flight rt from ROA to IAH, no meal service at all). So, to keep her happy, NW it is, since she can still get One Pass miles.

Rgds,
Joe

A330_DTW

Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:33 pm

At least DTW is not the worst airport!

10) Coming in for a Landing. While no clear winner emerges for best domestic airport, New York's JFK takes the cake for worst - both domestically and internationally.

A330_DTW

Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:37 pm

Take a look at Delta's rating:

"..not enough legroom", schedules suffer from "a loose definitione of 'on time'" and "doggy-bag" pack lunches are "the pits"...

I guess Northwest's "drab food" is still better that Delta's "pits".

A330_DTW

Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:38 pm

And Continental's:

"sparse food"

I guess it's not just Northwest with bad food, now is it?

seven_fifty7

Sat Mar 24, 2001 1:21 am

Alpha 2 wrote:

>>"People at every airline tend to bash the competition from time to time-that's why it's called competition."<<

Is this what the great "Gordo" and company are teaching you guys? (I'm assuming you're one of those "happy", "award-winning" Continental drones.) --Is Gordo teaching you that it's okay to bash your own codeshare partner to your passengers?! You mean to tell me that "from time-to-time," if some old blue-haired lady were to ask you if she could redeem some of her OnePass miles on Northwest, you'd respond, "Sorry ma'am, but Northwest's a crappy airline with bad service and rude bitches for flight attendants...you're better off avoiding our sorry excuse for a codeshare partner." Is that along the lines of how you'd respond? (From "time-to-time", of course).

Hmmmm. Now that CO has finally arrived into the fraternity of respectable carriers, is it now okay to bash other airlines who have been "award-winning" longer than CO? Careful Alpha; -CO should never forget where it came from.

Gee, and to think I've ever heard employees from UA, DL, or AA ever bash another carrier in public. Awards or no awards, I'd say they're more profesional than that.

Just my ever-loving opinion.
 Wink/being sarcastic

Alpha 1

Seven_fifty

Sat Mar 24, 2001 1:29 am

Gordon doesn't "teach" anything, as far as this goes. There aren't "GordonVision" monitors set up around the company to "teach" things. That kind of stuff has gone on long before Gordon Bethune ran CO. Most of the time, this "bashing" is in the form of friendly jibes at the competition, and not serious bashing. If someone is seriously bashing others in public, I don't agree with it. And just because you haven't heard it from others doesn't make your "ever-loving opinion" a point in fact. And to generalize a whole group of people because of a comment made on here, and to question their professionalism is speculation of the worst kind.

AA767400

A330_DTW

Sat Mar 24, 2001 1:43 am

since when is JFK worst then LGA? or better yet MIA.
and i do believe the public expects too much from airlines! i mean NW has it's negatives just like AA,DL and everyone else. but as far as JFK, i would take it
over LGA,MIA and ORD any day. but, that's just me.
"The low fares airline."

hugo

Sat Mar 24, 2001 4:34 pm

I wouldn't say Northwest is all bad but I wouldn't say it is a top carrier either. I have flown NW quite a few times but only on First and World Business Class. The Zagat puts it best: average in every way. I would imagine economy could very well be below average. I have flown with some good NW crews, and I can't recall any bad ones, but some things I really remember are: Tired, ugly interiors on most aircraft and the time that bread allocation in First Class from HNL was one roll per passenger. Pathetic, I thought. And I was starving!

Something that may improve NW's ratings or perceptions is for them to use a brighter palette of colors for everything. Granted, gray and red are synonymous with the airline and probably cannot disappear, there is something not quite right with their look. World Business Class has a shade of navy that is way too dark...interiors have no visual interest. Lounges look like teachers lounges in some Midwestern high school. Now that NW has a new CEO, I hope the standards set for themselves are higher. I remember an interview in which Dasburg or his right-hand man said SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT that NW does not try to be a market leader or anything like that...its market position is only to provide the basics... THIS IS PROBABLY WHY THEY ARE AVERAGE. Any quest for excellence has to come from the top.

A330_DTW

AA767400

Sat Mar 24, 2001 9:41 pm

According to Zagat's survey (and if a top-rated company like Zagat says it, it must be true--at least according to one of the people here) JFK is clearly the worst airport in the U.S.

A330_DTW

Sat Mar 24, 2001 9:54 pm

Alpha one wrote: "NW has gotten better, but you know there's a problem when a BizFirst who's CLE-LGW flight is delayed refuses the Business class on NW, and says he'd rather fly coach on CO than Business on NW."

Talk about sweeping generalizations! You believe that just because ONE PERSON said he'd rather fly coach on CO than WBC on NW? Can you say, "shallow"?

I've been in situations where when rerouting due to a cancellation or delay, I offer a particular airline and my customer says, "I'd rather walk than fly THAT airline", etc.

That one person is not indicative of everyone, I'm sorry to tell you. And if that's the way YOU feel, don't offer Northwest as protection.

A330_DTW

"Bad Attitudes"

Sat Mar 24, 2001 10:18 pm

Yes, Northwest is the ONLY airline in the United States with labor issues!

EVERYONE at United, Delta, American, etc. are the epitome of Happy-go-lucky employees. Does anyone else but me remember this past Summer when UA's mechanics were doing their slowdown!? How is it that ONLY Northwest is mentioned in this whole deal as having "unhappy employees" with "bad attitudes"?!

DTW/ORD Fan!

RE: "Bad Attitudes"

Sun Mar 25, 2001 12:17 am

I have flown NW many times as I have said before, and I truly think that the only reason NW employees may have rude attitudes, is because they get rude attitudes from the customers!! the general public has such an overblown bad image of NW that they just act like they own the airline when they get on!! It is horrible.
Also, as A330DTW said, NORTHWEST IS NOT THE ONLY DAMN AIRLINE THAT HAS LABOR PROBLEMS!!!!! Why does everyone feel NW is fair game, and all the other airlines off limits to criticism. For god sake, NW is the industry leader in on-time and luggage transportation!! But NOPE! No credit to NW.
What is this I have been hearing about all these United engine failures and engine fires!?!????? HMMMMMMM, and yet, Northwest is a DANGEROUS airline because they operate some older aircraft!?!?! DOES ANYONE ELSE SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!?!?!!?!??!

~thank you, I'll shut up now~

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 25, 2001 12:18 am

A330, you need to be a little less defensive! That quote came direct from a WorldPerks Elite memeber who was flying CO CLE-LGW. It may be one person, but if it's an Elite flyer, you don't just ignore the comments. If I use the logic to what I said, then I should just ignore what you're saying, because you're only one person, and it would be shallow to listen to only one person.

You're being way to over-sensetive about this. Chill a little.

AerLingus

Sun Mar 25, 2001 1:12 am

Northwest isn't an awful airline and I don't understand why everyone refuses to leave their DC-9s alone.
Let's face it, their 9s and 10s are not by any means nearly as horrible as Tower's 742s.
They still have one of the best frequent flyer programmes and they continue to make innovations in internet booking, now having printable boarding passes.
I agree with DTW/ORD fan. The only reason why NW employees behave as they do is because they are treated badly by the passengers.

The fact of the matter is this: THE PASSENGER IS NEVER HAPPY AND EVEN IF IT'S AN EXCELLENT AIRLINE, PEOPLE WILL STILL COMPLAIN THAT IT SHOULD BE BETTER.
In light of that, I believe that the last thing we need to do is listen to a bunch of snivelling reviewers who analyse every tiny detail to excess.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Logos

Sun Mar 25, 2001 1:55 am

Northwest isn't an awful airline and I don't understand why everyone refuses to leave their DC-9s alone.
Let's face it, their 9s and 10s are not by any means nearly as horrible as Tower's 742s.

Talk about damning somebody with faint praise! That's like saying "that MD-80 crash they had one time wasn't nearly as bad as those two 747s that ran into each other on the Canary Islands." If you're going to support NW, you might find a better whipping boy than Tower.

Cheers,
Dave in Berlin
Too many types flown to list

BH346

RE: My Opinion Of Northwest

Sun Mar 25, 2001 2:20 am

Northwest is NOT as bad as everyone says they are, IMHO. "planes that “should be on the Antiques Roadshow” Yes, some of these DC-10s and DC-9s are ancient. But, Northwest has placed a large order to replace these planes. The DC-9 has a new 717 style interior.
"bad attitudes” from flight attendants"
I find NW's employees friendly, helpful, and professional, including the flight attendants.
“drab food”
Yes, I admit their lunches and dinners really need improvement since they are quite bland. But, I really like their breakfast, especially these warm croissant sandwiches!
“chronically undependable” scheduling"
ummm...Wasn't Northwest in the top three on-time for 2000? Didn't they get second place, losing to Continental, who is their alliance partner?
“skyway robbery” on fares to “monopoly destinations” like its hubs in Detroit and Minneapolis"
When I search for low fares while planning a trip, Northwest is usually one of the cheapest airlines, sometimes cheaper than Southwest! And about their monopoly hubs, I agree with what Nwa747-400 said, all the other major airlines monopolize their hubs, too.
Northwest needs to improve on food, amenities and service if they want to be among the best airlines. Northwest doesn't seem to try to compete to be the best when it comes to these categories. They don't play movies on domestic flights, just a couple 30-minute episodes of "Dharma and Greg" or some other TV show on domestic flights more than 3 hours. Many airlines have put it PTV's, winged headrests, and even some have put in more legroom. I hope their new CEO will try to change their service to compete with the top airlines. I think they could learn a lot from their partner, Continental.
Overall, I would reccomend NWA for their reliability and their huge route network. I always look forward to a trip with them. I have remembered flying nearly 20 flights with them, and I think they are quite under-rated. They have shown some improvement recently.

BH346
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

nwa747-400

Sun Mar 25, 2001 2:26 am

Every NW airplane has a new interior...so I don't agree with the tired, ugly theory mentioned above. Even the 727s and DC10-40s have been redone even though they are leaving next year.If you make a comment on this site about an NW experience a couple of years ago you are basicaly talking a bout a different airline. I urge all of you to try NW again and see what all us recent fliers are raving about!  Smile