KLMBLue

Side By Side Landings

Fri Mar 23, 2001 7:57 am

I was just wondering, how do airplanes land side by side? I thought they had to watch out for jet wash and stuff? How does it work? I know it is kinda stupid, but I just kept wondering!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Joe Pries

Like this picture!
KLM

RE: Side By Side Landings

Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:01 am

The smaller planes stays above the bigger one, and also there is a certain distance between the runways!
Iain

Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:05 am

First, simultaneous approaches must be approved for the runways in question. This means that they must be so far apart (don't know the exact footage). And from the photo, it doesn't look like the twin would experience much wake turbulence from the jumbo if it is right next to it.

Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:13 am

If this was taken @ LAX, which I think it was, the runway for the 747 and the runways for the smaller aircraft are really far apart. Look at the picture and see how the smaller aircraft looks pretty big? What you see is called perspective. I think the the two aircraft in question were on the very end runways of either side of the main LAX terminal. Could be wrong though!

Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:16 am

Bfarrell, no there are 2 north of the terminal and 2 south, the pick was taken from the cargo ramp of the 2 south runways!
Iain

Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:30 am

Oh, like i said i could be wrong. In this case, i was!

KLMBLue

Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:40 am

Hey thanks! I really appreciate it!
KLM

azjubilee

Fri Mar 23, 2001 7:24 pm

What you see are paralell runways with simultaneous landings. There is a difference... when they are staggered, or when they are actually side by side. If the runways are less than 4,300 feet apart they must be staggered or the airport must be approved for ILS PRM approaches. With this being the case, the pilots must be specially certified and learn a few extra procedures. I know MSP is one of the few airports that do the PRM approach. If they are further than 4,300 feet apart then they can be side by side without staggering. Make sense?

AZJ