767-332ER
Topic Author

Skyteam Possible Members

Mon Mar 26, 2001 4:08 am

The Skyteam is the smallest of the alliances out there at this point in time. With Delta, Air France, Aeromexico, and Korean as the members, which airlines would you think, in realistic terms would join the alliance. I believe Alitalia has a great chance and it would be great for the alliance for Alitalia to join them. I could also see JAL providing a nice investment and what about one of the middle eastern carriers: Gulf Air???
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

ben88

RE: Skyteam Possible Members

Mon Mar 26, 2001 4:45 am

According to Flight International, Thai Airways may defect from Star and join Skyteam, as well as TAM Brasil and possibly Alitalia. CSA Czech has already been accepted and will officially join soon.

cba

Mon Mar 26, 2001 4:55 am

JAL will probably join OneWorld because they already have close ties to AA. Alitalia is a proposed member of the proposed Wings Alliance with CO, KLM, and NWA if it ever gets off the ground. Aeroflot may also join Skyteam.

blink182

Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:16 am

JAL and Gulf Air have close ties with AA. Alitalia would probably join Wings because of KLM/NW. I think Transbrazil and Aeroflot will eventually join, and as already stated CSA will join later this year.
Best rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

767-332ER
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:48 am

All of the airlines you guys have named would greatly help the Skyteam. Thanks for the responses.
Regards.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

deltairlines

Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:55 am

Czech Airlines is an official member of SkyTeam as of today, having joined a few hours ago officially. TransBrasil will probably join, and Aeroflot will join once a new terminal is built at Moscow. Alitalia might join, if AF makes a bid for it. It will either go SkyTeam or Wings, and I think SkyTeam has the better network. I'd like to see Impulse join and give SkyTeam some destinations down under.

Jeff

Rafabozzolla

Mon Mar 26, 2001 6:34 am

Transbasil is too small, TAM is a much more likely option, it already code shares with Air France on is daily A330-200 flight to Paris.

steman

Tue Mar 27, 2001 6:22 pm

Hello guys,

Alitalia talks with KLM have been dropped again so this leaves the chance to SkyTeam to get another big and important member in the alliance.
By the way, it seems that Alitalia is going to cease its relationship with CO, albeit they are improving the one with NW. Delta would be a better partner for AZ because of its huge presence in Italy and Europe and its better position inside the US.

Another possible members of the SkyTeam alliance is the Brazilian TAM, but they need a strong partner with a big network in Australia and South Pacific but the only two airlines available in that region, Qantas and Air New Zealand/Ansett, are already members of rival alliances. Impulse is too small to provide a good presence downunder.

Anyway, things in the airline industry are still so fluid and we could see airlines changing alliances in few days.

Ciao

Stefano

bakyunham

Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:40 pm

Wouldn't South African be a good choice for Skyteam?
Mike from Stellenbosch, South Africa

Air Taiwan

Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:49 pm

would any of the two Taiwanese airlines (China Airlines and EVA Air) join SkyTeam?? Once Korea and Taiwan resume direct airlink this could be viable... EVA Air flys to Paris nonstop from Taipei...

rgds
Jimmy

steman

Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:10 pm

South African would be a great partner for SkyTeam,
unfortunately it is linked with Swissair as a 20% stake in SAA is owned by the SAirGroup.
I don't know if any Taiwanese carrier could join an alliance without causing mainland China protests against that alliance.
Taiwan and Taipei are great destinations and good hub in competition with Hong Kong, Singapore and the other big cities of that area, an alliance with a Taiwanes carrier would be profitable for anyone.

Ciao

Stefano

hugo

Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:50 pm

I think PR will be a good fit for Sky Team...

ryanb741

Wed Mar 28, 2001 7:40 pm

I think that if Thai defect from Star it would be to join Oneworld and not Skyteam.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

l'espace180

Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:30 pm

South African would be great for SkyTeam, but it could also go into Qualiflyier,etc..

wolfy

BR And CI

Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:39 pm

Good point Steman!  Sad So sad that the people in China always love to bug on this kind of stuffs... Otherwise it;d be nice to see any of the two Taiwan airlines to join the alliances.
Air Taiwan thx for asking this question as I have been wondering for so long...  Smile

Air Taiwan

RE: BR And CI

Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:53 pm

REALLY?? I didn't know that the political forces from mainland China was behind the scene!! Well at least I'd consider this as a purely business matter!! Gees when are the mainland Chinese going to stop buggerin Taiwan!!
Anyways I heard a few months ago (well almost a year now...) that CI was joining oneworld and BR the STAR (as it had links with AN, NZ, AC and NH (EL) and it would be logical to be a part of STAR...)

BAD m/l CHINA!!!

rgds
Jimmy

PS I don't think Thai would ever join oneworld as CX is just like SQ -- a direct competitor just too close to home... Skyteam is the one if they ever leave STAR -- which I doubt a lot...

wolfy

CI

Wed Mar 28, 2001 11:17 pm

Hmmm, I doubt if CI will join One World as Taiwan is too close to Hong Kong. But it might be possible for CI to join Skyteam as CI is considered as Taiwan's national airline and KE is considered as S.Korea's national airline. Well, of course, if mainland China is not doing anything...  Sad

Rgs,

Wolfy