UA752
Topic Author

Please Help Me With Some School Work!

Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:26 pm

I need a little help with a school project of mine. Its for my pre-calculus class. We all had to pick a real world situation and somehow relate trig. and advanced mathematics to our subject. We have to write a 5 page paper on it and present it to the class also. Of course me being a plane freak, I had to choose aviation as my topic. What Im asking of you is to give me a few applications to aviation that I can use. Im not talkin simple stuff like 360 degrees on a navigational radial, I need a bit more complicated stuff like maybe polar coordinates having to do with GPS. Or anything having to do with aerospace engineering would be good also. Just anything really relating math to aviation. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

MSN

watewate

RE: Please Help Me With Some School Work!

Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:28 pm

Is this high school work? Wow, sorry I couldn't help you and all, but this sounds bloody.

deltaflyertoo

Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:44 pm

Although not aerospace related, but still aviation, you could replicate a small model of airline yield management.

Re create a small airline, pick a plane, pick the routes, and then talk about how many seats vs. load factors/pricing (in order to use the calculus you would need to show the availablity of seats vs. how fast they are selling, and how many the airline will oversell to accomodate those that no show) fuel, etc. This calculus model is built into the big yield management systems at all the nations big airlines.

flyf15

Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:56 pm

The first thing that popped into my mind was the mathematics involved in landing a plane. From force of engines needed to the angle of the glide slope.

UA752
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2001 3:30 pm

Mmmmm...good suggestions....please keep em comin