swake

Stops On Long Hauls

Tue Mar 27, 2001 9:05 pm

On several long hauls airlines make a stop, mostly to refuel, sometimes for commercial reasons. Mostly these stops don't take more then 1hr 40mins.
I wonder whether ongoing pax are always allowed to deboard the plane? Is there a given time interval when, once exceeded, the airline is to leave the pax of the plane??
examples : SIN-ZRH-BRU, JFK-ANC-TPE, BKK-NRT-LAX
Tnx for helping me out.

sr176

RE: Stops On Long Hauls

Tue Mar 27, 2001 9:15 pm

I know the example of ZRH - Dubai - MCT and ZRH - Abu Dhabi - MCT, where the transit pax always have to stay on board.

cedarjet

Tue Mar 27, 2001 10:08 pm

It depends; in my experience you almost always have a chance to leave the aircraft in Bangkok, but almost never in the Gulf (Dubai, Muscat, Abu Dhabi). Depends on the airline, airport, and whether you're on time. The few occasions when we haven't been allowed off the aircraft in BKK has been when the flight is delayed and they are trying to save time by not worrying about rounding up stray transit pax, just gas up and go.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

PHLflyer

Wed Mar 28, 2001 2:11 am

I once flew JFK-ANC-SEL-ANC-JFK on KE. At ANC, we changed crew, refueled and were allowed off the plane. This was in September of 1995. There was an Asiana flight on the same routing (10 mins ahead of us) as well as an Air China flight from JFK to PEK. Outbound we were there at about 0230, on the inbound we were there at around 1300.

Wed Mar 28, 2001 3:58 am

I remember when Cathay used to to Hong Kong to Gatwick, via Bahrain. We always used to be allowed out then.

cedarjet

Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:15 am

Easy-fella has illustrated my point, it was a Cathay flight from HK to Gatwick I was thinking of re the lateness thing. We left Kai Tak an hour late and the stopover in Bahrein was only about 50 minutes. No-one was allowed off and we actually arrived at Gatwick only about 20 minutes behind schedule. I only took the flight once and didn't know it was SOP to allow passengers off, but there was an annoucement about staying on board.

Flying from Singapore to Athens on an OA 747, the flight was packed and we had to make a stop in Dubai for fuel. We parked on a remote stand and we were on our way very quickly. The cabin crew weren't even allowed off.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz