Republic
Topic Author

VS To Offer Business Jet Scheduled Service

Wed Mar 28, 2001 1:03 am

Hi,

Virgin Atlantic to offer business jet service
The Associated Press
3/26/01 5:05 PM

LONDON (AP) -- British airline Virgin Atlantic said Monday it plans to offer luxury flights on small business jets, a service it is calling Virgin Jetset.

Although plans are still in an early stage, Virgin hopes to open Jetset routes from London to New York, Washington and Los Angeles in aircraft that would carry no more than 18 people, the company said.

The smaller jets would fly faster and higher -- at 45,000 feet instead of the usual 35,000 or so -- to avoid congestion down below. Passengers would each get a sleeper bed and a limousine ride to and from the airport. Food would be of Michelin-star quality.

Virgin hopes to appeal to passengers who might have flown on supersonic Concordes operated by British Airways or Air France. Both airlines have grounded their Concordes since an Air France Concorde crashed outside Paris in July.

Virgin estimated the round-trip fare for a Jetset flight from London to New York at $7,865, compared with as much $5,720 for a premium ticket on Virgin's existing aircraft.

Rgds,
Joe

BostonBeau

RE: VS To Offer Business Jet Scheduled Service

Wed Mar 28, 2001 1:41 am

What a strange idea...considering the money invested in Upper Class. Methinks Sir Richard is on the wrong track here. Then again, there's no accounting for snob appeal. I wonder if this service will be available for FF miles?

Ikarus

Wed Mar 28, 2001 4:22 am

I see no reason why it would have to fail - especially if businesspeople no longer trust Concorde... (and to be honest, who would? I would love to fly in it, but I would also love to have a chance to fly to Kaitak or do other slightly more risky things than your average B777 ride...)

I think there was a post just two days ago that mentioned both the BBJ and the A319CJ, as well as the biggest instalments in the Challenger series.

Too bad no one seemed interested in that post - I believe I was the only one to reply, asking for more infos.

Regards

Ikarus

CPDC10-30

Wed Mar 28, 2001 4:39 am

If I'm not mistaken, an A319CJ was ordered a few months ago.

USAFHummer

Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:00 am

I can see something like that happening...it would be cool to see a Virgin A319 in JFK!!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru