Always Chicken

Mon May 10, 1999 7:44 am

Every time I fly I get Chicken. Howcome the airlines dont serve anything else? When I flew on American I got chicken, on Northwest chicken sandwhich. I heard United always serves chicken but I will find out when I fly on United later this month, my flight is during lunch time.
Thanks

Colin Kumpunen

RE: Always Chicken

Mon May 10, 1999 8:12 am

Other airlines serve dishes made from other things than chicken. Don't UA offers a choice of meals? Because, if they don't, fly another airline -unless you like chicken, of course. I myself have been offered fish on numerous occasions, and i chose this when i can. Airlines often offer you easily digestable meals which explains the recurrence of chicken and fish. Last time I flown on AF they were serving smoked salmon and "blanquette de veau", that is veal in a cream sauce. But i do have to say that AF served the best meals i ever got in an airplane. I have never flown on an american airline -i fly with AC when i go to the US- but, from what i gathered, they're pretty cheap with their passengers. I remember an article in Airliners or Airways mag a couple of months ago about the amount spent by american airlines on pax meals. If i remember correctly, the maximum amount spent was not above 5$. They sure wont serve you smoke salmon with so little money... My advice: avoid US airlines as much as you can.

Mon May 10, 1999 11:25 am

I think that the reason that one meal choice is usually chicken is because most people are not averse to eating chicken. A lot of people who don't eat red meat eat chicken, and most people don't mind the taste. If you want to satisfy the greatest number of people, chicken is probably a good offering. I personally would like to see airlines offer a choice of meals when passengers make their reservations. I realize that, due to the number of people involved, this probably wouldn't work well in coach, but I think it would work in first and business classes.

L1011

Mon May 10, 1999 1:06 pm

When I flew on Delta from ATL to SEA, I ordered a special meal in advance: the cold seafood meal. It was delicious. The main entree was peeled shrimp and a container of cocktail sauce. Passengers around me were envious. I had this on a 767-300 going and a 727-200 on the return, which went to CVG instead of ATL.
Last December I ordered the seafood meal on United and it wasn't nearly as good as Delta's. It was a hot piece of some kind of fish.
If you want something besides chicken, consider ordering a special meal in advance. And often, they serve the special meals first.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

FLY777UAL

Mon May 10, 1999 2:06 pm

For some reason, I've never gotten chicken on any UA flight, or any other carrier's flights. Today, for instance, I was in United First from SEA-DEN, and received a really good turkey, ham, salami, and provolone sandwhich on foccocia bread. Then, from DEN-SFO in United Business, I received a 'snack' of a large ham sandwhich, with everthing else that the SEA-DEN flight had. I guess I have been lucky enough to avoid chicken, even though it was an option on one of the two flights I was on today.

FLY777UAL

David L

Mon May 10, 1999 8:51 pm

I read a book once (with pictures) by a former airline pilot who suggested saying you had special dietry requirements when you buy your ticket, e.g. say you need a salt-free meal and take your own salt with you. He reckoned the special meals tended to be of a better quality than the rest of them. I've never had the nerve to try it but I've no complaints about the food I've had on Northwest & Delta flights.

Within Europe, I've found that, apart from British Airways, the meal usually consists of a dry sandwich (usually cheese) and a couple of lettuce leaves. As for breakfast... a dry chocolate pastry at 7:00 in the morning... no thanks. On British Airways you get the works - eggs, sausage, bacon, cereal, roll, butter & marmalade, coffee and fruit juice.

There was one European flight that surprised me though. Due to a missed Swissair connection, I was once put on a Crossair flight from Amsterdam to Basle. First of all it was a SAAB 340 which was a first for me, then the solitary stewardess (OK, FA) served gateau and champagne the whole trip.

AA727

Tue May 11, 1999 7:14 am

It's true that there is always chicken when there is a meal at lunch time or dinner time but on American Airlines you always have the choice between two different entrees even on a short two-hour flight in economy! I usually fly American, it's a very good airline. They always treat me very well.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium

RE: Always Chicken (or Fish!)

Tue May 11, 1999 7:50 am

Remembers me a joke...
An amateur stewardess, on her first flight, was picking the food tray to serve the passengers, and she turned to talk to the first passenger: "Would you like to eat now?" and the passenger: "what are the options?" and the stewardess answered quickly "yes or no".
Got it? I´m hard to translate jokes :)
You guys won´t believe it, but I kinda like aircraft food, but sometimes I eat some crap chicken...
I think they serve chicken because is a light food... yuck
"fish or chicken...?"

cya
Julie

L1011

Tue May 11, 1999 8:08 am

I usually like airplane food, too. I normally don't eat scrambled eggs, but I had some on Alaska Airlines which were delicious. I told the flight attendant and she said in complete astonishment, "You like airplane eggs?" I told her that I had never had them before, but these were out of this world. She went away shaking her head.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA

Black Sauce: "Mystery Sauce"

Tue May 11, 1999 9:18 am

Speaking of chicken, I was on a transcon flight on American years ago and they served this chicken on a bed of dirty rice with this black sauce. What is that black sauce? It tastes quite funny. It certainly isn't barbecue sauce or steak sauce, probably some sauce from outer space.

Until someone speaks, it will be known as "Mystery Sauce."

L1011

RE: FirstClass!

Tue May 11, 1999 12:41 pm

Could the meal have been chicken cacchiatory? Pardon the spelling. In 1986, I flew American from RIC-DFW-LAX and back. On three of the flights, that is what they served. They must have bought it in bulk and gotten a good price. I don't remember the sauce.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA

Wed May 12, 1999 5:20 am

L1011:
I make chicken cacciatore, and I can tell you, "THAT" was not chicken cacciatore. In fact, I have never seen that kind of chicken with "mystery sauce" in a restaurant menu.

LanFan

Wed May 12, 1999 7:58 am

I recently flew from MIA-PHX-LAX and back with Continental and on two of the flights the food reaked. They gave me a chicken creme with lettuce on cold, hard bread. On the contrary, flying Business on LanChile Airlines from MIA-SCL they served a four course meal with the works. From O'devours to filet mignon. I must agree that International carriers are the best!

Wed May 12, 1999 8:43 am

when i fly on BA there is always a LARGE selection of food entrees.... like 5 or 6 that are available, this is in club world, but even in world traveller they serve 3 or 4 different types. BA is Great!