Who's Flown On A Reno Air MD-90

Thu Mar 29, 2001 2:27 am

I was wondering what it was like to fly on a Reno Air MD-90, I always wanted to fly on one but American bought them up.
How was the seating?, the take-off, landing and over all experience of it?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © DSAvit

Erickson Air-Crane #43

P.S.- Major props on this photo, one of my favorites!

RWally

RE: Who's Flown On A Reno Air MD-90

Thu Mar 29, 2001 3:18 am

I never flew on a Reno MD-90, but AAR90 flys the ex-Reno MD-90s for American.

EIPremier

Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:20 am

I flew on the MD-90s when they were with QQ, and I have also flown them since the AA acquisition.

The seats on QQ were at 32 inch pitch, but AA reconfigured them with MRTC. The planes had/have 5 rows of First Class.

The old QQ seats were very comfortable, and alternated between green and blue upholstery. There was no audio/video, unlike Delta.

The MD-90 is like a rocket on takeoff, and the initial climb rate is very impressive. The plane is very quiet up front. To the passenger, it is like a quieter, more powerful MD-80.

ATA L1011

Thu Mar 29, 2001 6:57 am

Aircrane, EI is correct about it it is very quiet and fast. If you want to fly on one you will probably have to fly on DL I think they have a few coming into ONT from DFW daily and I know to RENO. I was reading somewhere on here that AA is down to 1 MD-90 as they have been withdrawing them for a few months now due to the fact of fleet commonality issues.
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

cmsgop

Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:55 am

I did!!!!! from SEA to SNA for my wedding! The Climb Rate was INTENSE! If I could buy a plane that would be it! It is a Rocket Ship in a Nutshell!

mandargb

Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:08 am

I flew SJC-LAS when it was QQ.
It was verry quiet and comfortable.
I recollect it was 2-3 seating arrangement.

Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:20 am

Yeah, if you want to still get a flight on a MD-90 I see them all the time at ONT (Delta). I also see Delta MD90s at SNA when I'm flying there. American was just never happy with those MD-90s from Reno Air and wanted to drop them. Many of the employees called them minimum delay 90s. Anyway, I have not worked in LAX since last summer, but American was opperating the MD-90s on LAX-DEN, LAX-STL, LAX-COS and intrastate California routes. However I'm not sure how many they have left anymore.

OnTheFly

Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:58 am

AA uses the MD90 on the SFO-SNA run. I've taken it many times. Takeoff at SNA in an MD90 is incredible; I'll be flying that route again in May but AA's site says it will be a 737-800. Too bad.

Marc

woodsboy

Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:32 am

American has 5 ex-Reno MD90s still in service. Delta has 16 with no immediate plans to retire them.

AA was never "not happy" with the -90s, they just want to avoid having only a very few of a particular type and have to have a separate MX program for them.

EIPremier

Thu Mar 29, 2001 12:05 pm

American has 5 ex-Reno MD90s still in service.

I heard AA is down to one MD-90, and the last AA MD-90 flight will be April 15. That's just what another forum member said a little while back (can anyone confirm this?)

While I've heard that the MD-90s (and some later MD-80s for that matter) have had problems related to poor-quality workmanship by Mc Donnell Douglas, I don't believe this is why they are leaving the AA fleet. As Woodsboy said, it's a fleet commonality issue. Also, I think the lease rates for the ex-QQ MD-90s are much higher than AA is accustomed to paying for their own planes.

Thu Mar 29, 2001 12:33 pm

With regards to my previous post. I used to work for American at LAX and I should have made it clear that it was the employees that did not like the MD90s. However it never seemed like the airline as a whole was enthused with them. I never heard of any intentions for American to keep them throughout the buyout of Reno Air.

aa777flyer

Thu Mar 29, 2001 2:49 pm

American currently operates only 3 MD90's N903RA and N905RA were retired last month. The remaining three will fly their last revenue flight on 3/31/01 and be returned to Boeing by the end of April. The remaining 3 are N901RA N902RA and N904RA. Current lines flown by MD90's will be replaced by silver MD80's and silver 737-800's. AA will also retire N752RA on 4/1/01 one of the MD87's
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

777boy

Thu Mar 29, 2001 2:55 pm

I was on one three years ago SNA-SJC. I'm pretty sure that was when QQ had only 2. I believe that I was on R02. The main thing I remember about the flight was the lady sitting next to me informing me about the power to 60% rule at SNA. ALTHOUGH, I must say that I could not notice any reduction. I guess that's part of the MD-90s grace.

Matt

AAR90

Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:57 pm

>...but AAR90 flys the ex-Reno MD-90s for American.

Correction -- I _flew_ ex-Reno MD90s. Today's flights were my last.  Crying Start 737-800 training Friday.

>American has 5 ex-Reno MD90s still in service.

AA has 3 in service until Saturday. R01 and R02 are flying 6 flights per day each. R04 is broke "up north" (SFO or SJC). Somebody drove a truck into a wing I'm told.  Sad

R03 and R05 stopped flying scheduled flights on March 1 and were ferried to a third party maintenance facility last week for heavy maintenance prior to transfer to Boeing. Rumor has it Air Aruba is getting these birds real cheap.

>Delta has 16 with no immediate plans to retire them.

Delta has 25 MD90s. Still trying to sell them, but still no buyers --at least at whatever price Delta is asking. 2 month long negotiations with SAS broke down in Dec or Jan.

>AA was never "not happy" with the -90s, they just want to
>avoid having only a very few of a particular type and have to
>have a separate MX program for them.

AA management became quite happy with the MD90s, but could find no way to justify the expense of maintaining such a small fleet. Even as a "sub-fleet" within the MD80 administrative structure, the overhead costs were enormous when spread out over just 5 aircraft.

>Also, I think the lease rates for the ex-QQ MD-90s are much
>higher than AA is accustomed to paying for their own planes.

Up to 10 times higher monthly payments than AA is paying for its newest MD80s!

*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos