LGW
Topic Author

Who Or What Is Roots Air?

Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:21 am

All this talk of 'Roots Air' what are they? Where will they be based? What equipment have they or will they have? Anyone got any photos?

LGW

Mr Spaceman

RE: Who Or What Is Roots Air?

Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:49 am

Hi there. From what I remember seeing on the news, up here in Toronto, they are a "brand new" airline that had their first flight on March 26, 2001. They are an all "Canadian" operation. Aparently, "ROOTS" [the Canadian clothing company], wanted to get into the Airline Industry, and did so with a business partner called "SkyService" [another airline]. On the news, they showed the first flight taxiing to the RWY. The aircraft was an Airbus [I believe an A320-200], with the name "ROOTS" in Large letters behind the cockpit.

They plan on catering to "High End" customers, with extra legroom, better service and so on. I think they are only flying in Canada so far.

I hope that helps

Chris

"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

CP744

Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:10 am

Hey... "Spaceman" is correct. SkyService is a charter company that has been operating for several years. Several months ago Roots got involved with them, I believe to take advantage of the perceived available market for a high end "business class" type service between major markets in Canada. I read SkyService has a 80% stake and Roots is assuming the other 20%.
They are using the A320..... and I must say the livery is quite bland. Perhaps a marketing decision due to the nature of business they are looking for. (I've only seen a B/W photo)

Can anyone tell me if SkyService is part of another corporation, I thought I had read or heard that, some time ago.

Another player in the confused Canadian air industry Nuts

Noise

Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:00 am

Roots Air is also using the Airbus A330 and 727(until more A320s come in).

They are based in Toronto and fly to Canada's biggest cities.

here is their website http://www.rootsair.com

CPDC10-30

Thu Mar 29, 2001 10:57 am

Thats got to be the funniest username I've seen since Seamen Staines  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

AC320

Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:08 am

Funny because of the meaning of his username or the fact he spelled "toulouse" wrong?
fuddle duddle

gmonney

CP744

Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:08 am

Ya SkyService is owned by "SportHawk" I think? Its a company that shuffles around sports teams. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I know there is this other company, I will check it out for you.

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

CPDC10-30

RE: CP744

Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:17 am

Gmonney, you got it right except backwards. Sport Hawk is owned by Skyservice.

I thought both the misspelling and the meaning was funny...I have a feeling that username won't be around much longer  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos