The Ticketor
Topic Author

BA And Finnair Seeks Antitrust Immunity

Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:08 pm

BA has applied to the EC (European Commission) for antitrust immunity for a joint venture with fellow oneworld partner Finnair.

It is not clear which routes would fall under this joint venture, but flights between Finland and UK are not included. It would most likely include Finnair's flights from its "minihub" at Stockholm Arlanda, where Star member SAS has a big presence.

BA is also seeking to strenghten its ties to oneworld member Iberia, and antitrust immunity has been disscussed.

RE: BA And Finnair Seeks Antitrust Immunity

Fri Mar 30, 2001 12:06 am

I never like the sound of these deals. It's hardly necessary for BA to be protected from SAS.

Hagi

Fri Mar 30, 2001 5:02 pm

I don't like this deal, either. It may mean Finnair eventually becoming BA's subsidiary (if the Finnish state is to let go of its shares in the company, that is).

- Hagi

Fri Mar 30, 2001 8:46 pm

I think now is a good time to ask what is meant by "anti-trust" immunity?

Is there really a feeling out there that BA ultimately want to absorb Finnair under the BA brand? Surely this is just strengthening cooperation for Oneworld customers' benefit?

GOT

Fri Mar 30, 2001 10:03 pm

I hope that this only will be strengthening the cooperation within OneWorld, not that BA will make AY to another sudsidary.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

GOT

Fri Mar 30, 2001 10:05 pm

I hope that this only will be strengthening the cooperation within OneWorld, not making AY to a BA subsidary.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

G-KIRAN

Sat Mar 31, 2001 12:31 pm

I think it will be a bit like the BA/QANTAS co-opertation based in Singapore.BA pulled out of most of Australia but still 'flies' there because BA passengers change to a QANTAS flight at changi.So I think Oneworld will use Finnair to get a share of the star alliance traffic in the Nordic regions and Russia.I hear that Finnair has very good services to Russia.