r347216

Who Is It That Cares?

Sat Mar 31, 2001 2:47 am

Stand in any airport departure terminal. Look at the number of people lining up to check in.
There will be a mixture of men, women and children. Adults of all different ages.
Out of all of those people how many do you think knows or cares what the manufacturer of the aircraft is that they are about to board?.
Not any little kids, that's for sure.
Not any old lady. Any young lady?
Unless you ask, you're not going to know what that airplane you are about to board is going to be, are you?
It's never written on the ticket is it? Except for maybe Concorde.
It would a good idea if somebody were to survey passengers at an airport and enquire if they know which type of aircraft they will be flying on, and if they care whether it is a Boeing or and Airbus.

morecy

RE: Who Is It That Cares?

Sat Mar 31, 2001 2:55 am

I think most people end up caring when the media does an "in-depth report" on the manufacturer of the last aircraft that went down. I remember when the DC-10 went through that horrible media barrage; my Mom refused to fly AA to Hawaii because it would have been on a DC-10. Instead, we flew UA on a 747.

ben88

Sat Mar 31, 2001 3:15 am

At the beginning of our check in line we have a detailed board listing the aircraft type, captain's name, languages spoken aboard, flight time, and weather at final destination. The passengers find it to be interesting and helpful  Smile

An-225

Sat Mar 31, 2001 3:29 am

I certainly care what I fly on - I'd like to fly as many types of airplanes as possible. And yeah, I'd take DC-10 too.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

lmml 14/32

Sat Mar 31, 2001 3:43 am

Like most of us on this forum, I too check the aircraft I am flying on, and have recently been keeping a register of registrations. I agree that most people don't care what aircraft they are flying on. Most will even never even SEE the plane from the outside ! It is a pity that the elitism (for want of a better word) surrounding aircraft, airports and flying has waned to equal the status of trains and train stations. That is until someone buys the farm. Then everybody is an expert !

Sat Mar 31, 2001 7:35 am

Just remember that the general flying public doesn't share your passion for aviation. I'm sure if we tried to wax poetic about details pertaining to their favorite hobbies we'd come off sounding about as bright as the guy ahead of you in line explaining that there is no difference between a 744 and a Piper Cub. I spent a week prior to a CLE-MEM trip selling my wife on the vast improvement the ERJ135 offers the frequent business traveller over 19 seaters. Her reaction upon arrival in MEM? "We made it didn't we?" The exact reaction the thrill of flight brings to the majority of travellers.