ovelix

I Went To New Athens Intl

Sun Apr 01, 2001 6:14 am

Today I visited the new Athens Intl Airport (LGAV) at Spata.

As many others have stated, it is one modern, spacious, advanced and nice airport. One of the biggest (in terms of space) in Europe.

Fact One: It only took me 30 minutes to get there, I live at northern suburbs of Athens. The new access road is there and there was no mess although it was Saturday noon. Somebody some days ago was saying "It will be a mess, believe me". I just don't.

Fact Two: The mess was for the passengers. The first three days was a festival of delays, lost lugguge and flight cancelation for Olympic Airways. All the other airlines had little problems, all of them related to airport's "teething problems". Olympic struggles to operate at LGAV (it represents the 70% of the traffic there) while all the others seem to work almost fine.

Fact three (the saddest): Little or not at all spotting opporunities from the main terminal building. If you do travel you have great views from the gate windows. If you don't....well....you have to watch through the windows of crowded fast food or restaurants.

Next week I will be travelling to Chania from Athens Spata and a full report will be available to you ASAP.

I will be glad to answer any questions from you...

Kostas

The777Man

RE: I Went To New Athens Intl

Sun Apr 01, 2001 2:46 pm

Thanks for the report!!! Looking forward to hear more when you take your trip. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

DatamanA340

Sun Apr 01, 2001 7:34 pm

It's sad that new airports doesn't provide non-departing-passengers enough chance for spotting.

jb

Sun Apr 01, 2001 10:47 pm

Well lets see how Spata handles the tourist summer invasion.
Then we can see how good the airport really is.

Jubilee

Mon Apr 02, 2001 1:12 am

Hi! I'll be going to Greece at the end of the month for my honeymoon, and I didn't realise that my flight would be operating from the new international airport! That'd be great. Any tips on how NOT to get lost, or what to look out for?

lewis

Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:54 am

Things will be better in a few days. Watch out for your luggage, many lost the last days. Also depart early from your hotel on your way to the airport as there are traffic problems during peak hours.

Olympic A-340

Mon Apr 02, 2001 5:14 am

Thanx for the report!!...
I am going to Greece this summer. We live in Psyhico, so I am curious how long it will take from there. Well hopefully it will all be straightened out by Summer  Smile

Arrivederci
Olympic A-340

ovelix

Spotting At Lgav

Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:09 pm

Olympic A340

For Psychico it will be about 45 minutes from the time you get in a car. Unless you choose Mesogeion Ave., then it will take some time more.

As for the spotting: There are some nice views from:
The overpasses near the main entrance offer nice viewsof the aircraft on final.

The walking overpass from the main terminal to the long term parking. Very nice views of the aircraft taxiing over the car highway.

The nearby fields offer nice views too but you have to know the farmer  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

See ya there....

lewis

Mon Apr 02, 2001 11:00 pm

Of course things will straighten up. Because of all the flight cancellations, the airport seems to run smoother now. Lets hope that easter travvelers will have no problems in a week or so!