nbirger

Market For Tri-Jets

Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:23 am

hey everyone,

I really like the old Lockheed Tristar's and MD DC-10 and MD 11 series. I think the whole concept of having a three engine medium to long distance airliner is good. I was just wondering about an existing market for a newer model of these jets. Is there enough of a market to develop a newer version of a Three-engined medium to long haul plane? Or do you feel that after all the Lockheed Tristar's, DC-10's, and MD-11's are retired that is the last we will see of that design?

Thanks a lot for your opinion,
-Nick

redngold

RE: Market For Tri-Jets

Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:24 am

I miss the L-1011 even though I only flew on it once, and that was a fluke pax diversion thing, too.

They would have to redesign the engines for better fuel efficiency. That's the main complaint I've seen in all the writing about trijets. Even the B727, which is a shorter range a/c, smokes like the dickens!

redngold
Up, up and away!

ILOVEA340

Wed Apr 04, 2001 1:51 pm

nope. (to expensive to operate.) all the 3 engined planes are out done by the 777 and the 777 is cheaper per seat to operate. the 727 is goy done by new 737's and 717's.

nbirger

Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:02 pm

Do you think it is possible to make it cheaper to operate? Definitely make the engines more fuel-efficient. I just feel that three-engined jets are perfect for a LAX-HNL flight, or ones similar.

Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:15 pm

Why do you "just feel" that? Can you substantiate this "feeling" with any kind of data whatsoever?

nbirger

Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:44 pm

Sorry, I was just wondering the opinions of others. I do not really have any data. It was more my opinion. The only thing I can say though is that for a flight like LAX-HNL I think it would be a better alternative to have three-engines as opposed to two. I know the chances of both engines failing is very slim on a two-engine jet. I just think that three engines add a little security on a flight like that where 2000+nm are over the Pacific Ocean. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the tri-jets.

Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:51 pm

Run a search on "ETOPS"

You will have your answer.

TWA717_200

Wed Apr 04, 2001 5:04 pm

Seems to be that the reason that trijets are no longer made is the complexity and maintenance expense of the number 2 engine mount.

The 777 was (for a very short time) considered a trijet. The above mentioned reason killed that idea quick.

Personally, I love the looks of a trijet. Too bad we'll probably never see another one built.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos