Landings

Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:27 am

I don't know if we covered it or not on his board, but when an airliner lands, as the mains touch the ground, is the nose pushed over or is the decceleration of the a/c what brings the nose down? Is the yoke pushed over, or the speed loss... what drops the nose on the runway?

RE: Landings

Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:33 am

I highly doubt they push it over, I guess they use aerodynamical breaking a lot like we do, and that brings your nose down smoothly and slows you down all at the same time, it is especially good on grass.
Iain

I Like To Fly

Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:34 am

I believe the pilot pushes the nose down. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I Like To Fly

Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:36 am

I should mention I am just going by a in the cockpit video I have of a 737. It looks like he pushes the stick forward as the main gear hits.

Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:40 am

It might depend on the length of runway or where they want to get off, as if it is short the are more likely to get all wheels on the ground sooner to stop quicker!
Iain

Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:49 am

As the spoilers deploy on the wings after touchdown, some aircraft will want to pitch up while others will pitch down.

The trick is to maintain whatever pitch attitude you have at touchdown (push or pull) by looking outside and then gradually and smoothly fly the nose on to the ground.

If you did nothing, the nose would eventually fall as the aircraft decelerates and the elevators become less aerodynamically effective.

The B767 and the A300 have a tendency to pitch up after main gear touchdown and spoiler deployment which requires forward pressure on the control wheel initially. The B757 would initially want to pitch down after landing.

Critter_592

Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:06 am

I always thought that pilots hold the same pitch, and let the nose wheel touch by itself. They "relax pressure"?