scaredflyer21

CRJ Rudder Checks

Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:05 am

At my airport We have CRJ's from United and Northwest. My question is,why do all CRJ's do Rudder Checks before leaving the stand whereas no other aircraft does(MD-80,DC-9,717,ATR,BAe146,Saab 340,J-41's)
Thanks!

redngold

RE: CRJ Rudder Checks

Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:07 am

Are you watching the same a/c or the same flight every day? It could just be the pilot's choice.

I've seen rudder checks done in a variety of places on the same aircraft -- at the gate, just before t/o, while taxiing out, etc.

redngold
Up, up and away!

RJ

Wed Apr 04, 2001 12:06 pm

At our carrier the rudder is checked on the Taxi checklist as the airplane taxis out to the runway. We do a check of the flight controls which include the ailerons, spoilerons and elevator. We also check that the rudder will operate through its full range of motion. As a matter of fact, all surfaces should move in their full range of motion. The information is displayed on the Flight Control page on our EICAS Secondary display, since you cannot see the control surfaces outside of the flightdeck window. The reason the check is preformed is to check if the controls are functioning properly and that they are within tolerances.

I hope this helps,

Happy Flying!

Wed Apr 04, 2001 12:10 pm

My guess would be because the CRJ doesn't have the "steering wheel" like control, so the pilots use the rudder to taxi the aircraft.

RJ

Thu Apr 05, 2001 5:39 am

Uh Jet Joc, the CRJ does have a "tiller" that is used to steer the airplane on the ground. The tiller is turned on during the Before Taxi checklist and is turned off during the Parking checklist. The nosewheel steering on the CRJ is a 'steer-by-wire' system which is electrically controlled and hydraulically actuated through dual push-pull actuators mounted on the nose landing gear. The tiller provides 70 degrees of travel left or right and the rudders can provide 7 degrees left or right for steering.

Happy Flying!

Thu Apr 05, 2001 5:46 am

Thank's for clearing that up for me!  Smile

You too!

cv640

Fri Apr 06, 2001 7:54 am

Every aircraft I have ever flown, from a C-152 to a Saab, requires a flight control check. We do this to make sure they are operative, and nothing is blocking there movement. Either outside, or even in the cockpit. It is a quick check, we just go throw the full range of the flight controls.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos