gf-a330

What Kind Of Landing Is This?

Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:41 pm

Could someone please tell me how the pilot of this 767-300 ER is going to land his plane safely.

What is he doing ? Is he approaching at angle or is he going to take off again !

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Andy Mok

RE: What Kind Of Landing Is This?

Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:50 pm

That's a pretty normal landing for Kai Tak...

Do a search for pictures taken at Kai Tak and you'll find tons of those.

Greetings Big grin

matz

Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:51 pm

Probably a crosswind landing

USAFHummer

Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:51 pm

This is one of those famous Kai Tak incidents with heavy crosswinds...usually they either go around but he looks below DH so he'll end up either way right or in the drink...I dont know this specific incident...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:55 pm

He'll be fine, it's a x-wind app. He'll kick-in some rudder during the flare to get the nose on the r/w heading before touch-down.

TurbineBeaver

Wed Apr 04, 2001 9:02 pm

If you ask me, it looks like his main bogeys are turned about 15 degrees left of where the a/c is facing, almost lined up with the runway. I heard that the C-5 can do this with the main bogeys, for cross wind landings and can turn them up to 25 degrees. Is this true for the 767? and/or any other commercial jets? or is it just an illusion?

thanks

TB

747-600X

Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:06 pm

I've never heard of a jet's gear rotating, I suppose they could though, but I've seen worse crosswind photos than this. There's one of a Qantas 767 at Sydney and the comment made with the photo is just as suggested above, "...swift kick of the rudder..." and everything's okay. Looking at that photo it looks to me like the gear are ligned up with the a/c just as ever. Also, it's a zoom photograph taken from a ways back, the photographer wasn't standing on the end of the runway, so the aircraft will look a little to the side of the runway (moreso than it would if you stretched the photo back into a real-vision affect).

mikephotos

Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:38 pm

Crosswind landings make for interesting photos. Here's another one:

Click for large version

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

Michael

n949wp

Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:04 pm

And if the crosswind is REALLY bad, the landings could be even more interesting!!!!!

Click for large version

Photo © Daryl Chapman

Click for large version

Photo © Daryl Chapman

BTW, on the bottom of the first picture, you can see the rooftops of those buildings where the 767 shot was taken.

'949

hkgspotter1

Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:07 pm

949'

Spotting tomorrow ???, I know its not great but I will go to see the ELAL 777 again.

Thanks for the link.

GOT

Thu Apr 05, 2001 1:45 am

The pictures from Kai Tak are among the most interesting here at A.net. Try a search! Sadly, it doesn't come new pictures any more  Sad.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

Thu Apr 05, 2001 2:00 am

The pilot is accounting for the wind. When he gets closer to touch-down he'll use the rudder to straighten out. It happens on most landings to some degree unless the wind just happens to be coming straight down the runway.

Soku39

Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:22 am

2 of five of the 747's main gear rotate. I remember seeing a 744 taxiing not only did the nosewheel turn but the two on either side of the central main bogie turned. let me find the pic to see if I am talking about the right thing.  Sad
The Ohio Player

Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:34 am

It's called "Crabbing into the wind". Apply rudder pressure until you're plane is flying in a straight line, this causes the airplane not to be aligned with the runway. Once in ground effect work the rudders to align the aircraft with the centerline... I always wondered why jet pilot's don't use crosswind landing procedure that smaller planes use, yoke into the wind, opposite rudder to keep the nose aligned with the runway...Anybody know???

Regards: Sven

Soku39

Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:43 am

sorry it was a 47-128 but anyway do they prealign align the gears in flight. I think this is the same thing except on the ground.

Click for large version

Photo © Hiromichi Miyagaki

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
The Ohio Player

b767-400er

Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:47 am

Soku39: Is it this one?

Click for large version

Photo © Hiromichi Miyagaki

TurbineBeaver: I believe in that pic, it's just an illusion. Look at it carefully, and remember that 767's bogeys hang forward-slanted.

Tony,
B767-400er

b767-400er

Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:54 am

Oops, that's what you get when you post at the same time! O well...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Tony,
B767-400er

prebennorholm

Thu Apr 05, 2001 9:06 am

Dear Gyro,
Airliners do make ordinary "sideslip" sidewind landings - or one wheel landings with crossed aileron - rudder. But normally only the smaller airliners do so.
The widebodies normally do the crab + rudder kick method, mainly because of their limited engine to ground clearance. Especially if they should bump a little, and the huge wings flex somewhat, then there isn't much ground clearance to spare.
They do have a small problem there which you don't have on your Cessna 152.
BTW also the B-52 bomber adjusts its main wheels so it crabs all way down to the runway. You will notice that the B-52 has a very small rudder, so small that it wouldn't be powerful enough for a crab + rudder kick landing.
Best regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

AJ

Thu Apr 05, 2001 3:46 pm

The landing 767 does not have the main gear adjusted for crosswind, it is just an illusion created by the forward tilting bogies.
The Body Gear steering on the 747 is centred at the commencement of the takeoff roll, automatically on the 744 and manually on the classics.
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy

737doctor

Thu Apr 05, 2001 5:17 pm

Preben, you are indeed correct. I know that on the 70-series "Diesel 8" the crab is the recommended crosswind landing technique. That bird is quite prone to inboard engine "pod strikes". And the 71 & 73's are susceptible to tail strikes resulting from over-rotation or improper pitch angle when flaring.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

ericCieslar

Thu Apr 05, 2001 7:14 pm

hey guys i fly 152's and when im landing i line with the runway and face the plane into wind and then when its time to round out i hit the rudder so the nose is lined up with the runway.

sorry i dont know all them fancy words n stuff.

and by the way what are "bogies" i assum it has something to do with the undercarage?

Thu Apr 05, 2001 7:24 pm

For B777-300 a/c the aft pair of wheels in the 3-wheel tandem have axle steering to reduce turning radii on the ground.

Purely FYI.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos