ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

History Of CO/AF Code Share

Sat Apr 07, 2001 1:12 pm

This isn't a post about the Concorde crash and the Continental DC10, so if please don't post if that is
what you are going to talk about.

My question is about the CO/AF code share? When
did it start and what was the purpose behind it and
why did AF eventually choose DL over CO, while still
maintaining the CO code share?

ContinentalEWR

artsyman

RE: History Of CO/AF Code Share

Sat Apr 07, 2001 1:33 pm

Code share started about 3-4 years ago, can't totally remember clearly, and as far as the Delta issue, Air France just felt that Delta was a better known brand internationally

Jer

ben88

Sat Apr 07, 2001 6:45 pm

It's not because they were better known, it was because they served many more destinations.

cba

Sun Apr 08, 2001 3:04 am

CO would have been the better choice for a parntner. DL's service is just not up to AF's expectations. You get wined and dined on Air France. Delta just can't compete with that.

ishky15

Sun Apr 08, 2001 3:30 am

Even though Air France is slowly in the process of dumping Continental for Delta, their current alliance w/ CO is still very strong. While flying Newark-Paris on the brand new 767-400 in November, there was a very large number of passengers transferring at Charles de Gaulle. I'm not overestimating when I say that only about half of the people on board were terminating in Paris. People were going on to destinations like Oslo, Suttgart, and Berlin. On the way back, it was an Air France 747-200, which just didn't compare to the Continental flight. Alot of people on that flight were transferring in Newark, too, to places like Florida and Denver. All I can say is that Air France probably will not have a problem switching partners over to Delta. Continental, on the other hand, is in a little bit of a frenzy, but with that so-called "European Expansion" coming up, maybe it won't be so bad.

ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2001 4:53 am

I think Delta's route network was the key to this decision. Delta is after all, the third biggest US
airline, with a behemoth hub in ATL and similarly
comprehensive, albeit smaller ones in CVG and
MCO (DFW is comparatively smaller and SLC is
not a European gateway at the moment).

However, AF benefits heavily from CO's feed
both at IAH and EWR and I think this secondary
partnership will continue for some time as it adds
value to both carriers.

ContinentalEWR

cba

Sun Apr 08, 2001 5:43 am

Don't forget, the CO/AF alliance gives CO and AF a monopoly in the EWR/IAH-CDG markets. If I want to fly nonstop from IAH to CDG, I only have one option.

nickofatlanta

Sun Apr 08, 2001 6:10 am

ContinentalEWR:
I think you're right. If AF has its way, they will keep CO as a "secondary" partner. However, DL may very well pressure AF to dump CO. Also, I believe some time after the SkyTeam alliance was officially launced, CO filed paperwork to break their contract with AF (probably in the range of a 10 year contact) because of AF's ever closer ties to DL.