aussie_

Ansett/Air NZ Linking Up With Thai! Breaking News!

Sun Apr 08, 2001 6:36 pm

This news story surprised me greatly. Sure, TG are part of Star, but Air NZ/Ansett are linked to SQ and there remains a strong rivalry between SQ and TG.

What surprises me is not the TG codesharing but more the use of the BKK hub for flights to Europe - any comments???

Airways grab greater market share
From AAP
08apr01

18.10 (AEST) AIR New Zealand and Thai Airways International are looking to grab a larger share of the Australian domestic market after reaching a preliminary reservations agreement.

Executives from the airlines are due to meet in Melbourne this week to finalise details after signing a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in London on March 30.

Air New Zealand, president and chief executive, Gary Toomey, described the move as "a very substantial opportunity".

Air New Zealand and Ansett Australia joined the Star Alliance of air carriers in 1999. But the carriers have come under increased competition on the Australian market following the entry of Impulse and Virgin Blue airlines.

Toomey said the reservations agreement involved code sharing, with the main aim being to capture more high-yield Australian customers, especially business travellers.

The first step is to link the reservation systems of Air New Zealand and Thai Airways International by May to enable "seamless booking" for passengers of the three airlines. The code sharing agreement will begin in May or June.

Air New Zealand is also looking at opportunities to feed passengers through TAI's hubs when flying between Australian and European markets.

RE: Ansett/Air NZ Linking Up With Thai! Breaking News!

Sun Apr 08, 2001 7:18 pm

God help ANZ. Has anyone ever flown TG business class? Dreadful.

QantasAirways

Sun Apr 08, 2001 9:19 pm

I pity ANZ for doing such a stupid move.
Should have stuck with SQ is what I say.
Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia

flashmeister

Sun Apr 08, 2001 10:09 pm

Do you really think that SQ didn't know that Air NZ was talking to Thai? Of course they knew...

Maybe this is the first step to burying the hatchet and peacefully coexistence between Thai and SQ.

fqtv

Sun Apr 08, 2001 10:20 pm

Singapore owns 25% of AirNZ so you bet that they knew NZ was talking to Thai. Also, these arn't kids, they're businesses - they do what makes money, and if codesharing with Thai makes business sense then they'll do it.
Cheers, Zac

Air Taiwan

Sun Apr 08, 2001 11:26 pm

Great! So when will All Nippon Airways join the party? Looks like the Stars are getting closer to each other!!

Rgds,  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Jimmy

airnewzealand

Fqtv....

Mon Apr 09, 2001 9:16 am

Fqtv,
I agree totally with you!!

Cheers
mikey

ryanair

Mon Apr 09, 2001 8:40 pm

All of ANA's Australian Ops are already via Codeshare on Ansett.