air afrique and kenya airways in africa
mexicana and maybe tam
what do you think about this

emile

steman

RE: Bye Bye,STAR And ONE World

Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:20 pm

Hey slow down,
do you really think that an informal talk will lead to something?

I am sure that these talks won't bring us the huge alliance you foresaw, especially in the US (DL/CO/NW) and EU (AF/AZ/KL).

Ciao

Stefano

watewate

Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:27 pm

Emile,
Could you kindly post the article on this thread? The link to afxpress.com doesn't go.

aussie_

Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:31 pm

you will never get all those US airlines in one alliance

Also look at the rest of the list. All average airlines or otherwise airlines with bad (sometimes undeserved) reputations. Garuda, Aeroflot, CSA, Cyprus, Air Afrique, Air China are hardly airlines with a shining reputation.

I also add that many on the list are speculation. For example, who said Garuda has any alliance hopes with KLM, same with Air Afrique and AF etc.

NUAir

Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:57 pm

Stefano,

This sounds like a post we had about a month ago when KL and AZ was falling apart. Could AF possibly bring AZ and KL together in the end??

It would be nice to actually be able to read this article and see how possible it really is. Since it hasn't been reported yet by any other sources I think it could just be premature speculation.

Have you heard anything more on the AF/AZ alliance?? This would be nice to see but I wonder if AZ/AF/KL can really work together to make it happen. Another huge advantage would be expansion potential. Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, and Milan all have room for growth compared with Frankfurt and London.

NUair
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

steman

Wed Apr 11, 2001 8:55 pm

Yes NUair,
I remember our talks on the argument.
And I feel like you that these are just speculations.
Also in the Air France/Alitalia deal there are just speculations and nothing more.
AF/KL/AZ? It could work, especially considering their hubs but I think we are still in a too early stage of airlines alliances to bet on these mega mergers or mega agreements.

Ciao

Stefano

watewate

Wed Apr 11, 2001 9:53 pm

Here is the actual article. I wouldn't even call it an article.

>>KLM, Air France reportedly in informal alliance talks
AMSTERDAM (AFX) - KLM Royal Dutch Airlines NV CEO Leo van Wijk will Thursday announce the airline is in informal talks with Groupe Air France on a possible alliance, BusinessNews Radio reported.
http://www.afxpress.com/afxpress2/html/story_14699.xml

Wed Apr 11, 2001 11:38 pm

Anybody knows anything about EMIRATES and joining an aaliance ???????

RIX

Thu Apr 12, 2001 4:46 am

Aussie_, you are definitely wrong about Aeroflot and CSA.

morecy

Thu Apr 12, 2001 5:04 am

I agree with RIX that CSA is certainly NOT questionable in terms of good service. I can't speak from experience because I have not flown CSA, but SkyTeam has made it a point to offer membership only to airlines that can meet their service criteria. As for Aeroflot, it's my understanding that they are still working (very diligently) on improving service... but SkyTeam membership is a ways off.

RIX

Thu Apr 12, 2001 5:12 am

Well, my comment on Aeroflot was from my personal experience. Their international First and Business are just great. In Business their 737-400s have 2-2 wide seats, much better than on other European airlines.

OH-LGA

Thu Apr 12, 2001 5:36 am

Emile, you got that from a one-line blurb?

I don't think so... that's an awful lot of speculation there. And Mexicana is in this thing called Star Alliance...
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.