Tom in NO
Topic Author

Braniff Bankruptcy/aircraft Ferry Flights

Sat Apr 14, 2001 9:15 am

When Braniff went bankrupt in May of May 1982, most of their aircraft were ferried back to their DFW base.

I've got an overhead picture of their terminal at that time, and it shows 48 727's and 2 747's on the ramp.

That leaves 13 727's, 1 747, and 8 DC-8's that were ferried somewhere other than Braniff's main DFW ramp. I read where the DC-8's were ferried to Dallas-Love Field.

The question is: where were the rest of the 727's and the remaining 747 ferried to? Was it Miami, Dallas-Love, or maybe BN's DFW maintenance hanger ramp?

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

asqx

RE: Braniff Bankruptcy/aircraft Ferry Flights

Sat Apr 14, 2001 11:24 am

It's been a while since I read it, but the book "Splash of Color" does a good job of describing the fall of Braniff. As I recall, though, the gate area got so crowded that they were parking planes at the MX ramp and at DAL as well, but most, if not all, planes made it back to Dallas around the time of the bankrupcy announcement and filling. I may be wrong but that is what sticks out in my memory right now.

cedarjet

Sat Apr 14, 2001 7:12 pm

"Splash Of Colo(u)rs" is a brilliant book, probably the best (alongside "Empires Of The Sky") ever written about The Biz. I read it from cover to cover on a flight from Heathrow to San Francisco (Virgin 747-400) in Feb. Stunning stuff.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2001 9:29 am

I had read the two sources (both of which are excellent) I had when I made the original post. "Braniff International Airways in Color" published in 1993 by George Cearley stated on page 56 that all DC-8's were ferried to DAL.

I also have "Splash of Colors" (two copies in fact) by John Nance. Cedarjet is correct, it is a superb book. Other than a detailing of ship 601's last flight from HNL to DFW, there is not a lot of detail, though, as to where the other aircraft were ferried to.

The Summer 1992 issue of Airliners contains a good article on Braniff, along with quite a number of pictures.

I imagine it was a pretty crazy time, not only at DFW, but also at the outstations where various passengers and crew were stranded for awhile.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina