A Great Visitor In STL Today!

Mon Apr 16, 2001 8:55 am

Today (4/15/01) I went observing the afternoon activity at Lambert. Since I don't have my license, my mom has to accompany me in the passenger seat. Right when the airport could be seen from Lindbergh Blvd, my mom exclaimed "What is that big plane over there?" Thinking that she saw the Fed Ex DC-10, I asked if it had a blue tail. She responded by saying yes. When I could get a glimpse of the airfield, I realized she wasn't looking at the DC-10. It was an airplane fourty feet longer- the Antonov AN-124-100! After watching the takeoffs from 30L and 30R, I drove closer to the monster, which was parked just to the east of rwy 6/24. It was the Antonov Design Bureau. I had to do some stolling before I could read the reg which was UR-82029. This added some spice to a nice day.

TurboTristar

RE: A Great Visitor In STL Today!

Tue Apr 17, 2001 6:50 am

I used to think Antonov was Russian........

Turbo

jderden777

Tue Apr 17, 2001 7:06 am

cool sight!! i hope i could see one sometime...and have my camera with me when i do see one...

jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

Turbotristar

Tue Apr 17, 2001 7:12 am

antonov is russian, what made you think it isn't?

jderden777

Tue Apr 17, 2001 7:13 am

my guess is the reg. threw him off...the UR- i guess is ukrainian...hell if i know... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

Tue Apr 17, 2001 8:00 am

Actually the Antonov company is Ukrainain and so is the aircraft. It said on the ac data and history. Derden- I was thinking on bringing my camera to STL but didn't, and two good shots I missed, SC D10 and the 124! Your photos on airliners.net are very professional looking. Keep it up!

TurboTristar

Boeing Nut

Tue Apr 17, 2001 10:55 pm

The AN-124 was chartered by Air Cargo Loadmasters. It was flying in new equipment for an new electrical plant in Illinios. The generator alone weighed, get this, 212,000 lbs.! Big S.O.B.!
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

trnswrld

Tue Apr 17, 2001 11:06 pm

I saw this airplane in STL also. However, it was about 7 months ago. So this isnt the first time one of those beasts has been there.

GOT

Wed Apr 18, 2001 2:35 am

Wish I could see one of those sometime...

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

servisair

Wed Apr 18, 2001 4:38 am

We see them at MAN quite often. They are BIG!. Those things burn more fuel taxying than a VLM F50 does flying MAN-RTM!!! The wings actually overhang onto the service roads which run either side of the taxiways at MAN so a marshaller has to drive alongside each wing to stop people driving under them.

Nuts
30 Yeras in the Biz...

woodsboy

Wed Apr 18, 2001 4:55 am

We get AN-124s fairly often here in Fairbanks, Alaska. They are mostly stopping en-route between either the lower 48/ Canada and Asia or between Europe and Asia. Every now and then they actually drop something off like big oil-rig related equipment, cars for testing etc. They are big and I got the chance to explore inside a Volga-Dneper/Heavy Lift AN-124-100 about 2 years ago. The cockpit is huge! Did you know that the crew lives onboard the a/c?? The upper deck behind the flight deck is outfitted with little individual sleeping berths a galley, common area, lavatories, cargo stowage etc. It reminded me of a train that I took in Hungary several years ago, narrow hallway with sliding doors on both sides, all dark green of course! This particular aircraft had been chartered by Audi and carried along 9 flight crew, 2 mechanics, a loadmaster and several Audi reps.

When I have seen them take off they ease right up off the ground effortlessly and with very little noise. They have impressive STOL characteristics, using less than half of FAI's 11,900 foot runway.

Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:04 am

Thanks Boeing nut for the details. Do you happen to know where the plane was coming from?
TrnsWrld- I have seen An-124s three times @ STL, only because it is my sole home airport! The first time I was only about five and it was around 1990 that my mom drove me up to the aport in the morning just to see the plane cause my dad had reported seeing it earlier in the morning. I was a quarter mile away when I saw it gaining altitude after a fairly short run.

Thanks everyone
TurboTristar

philb

Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:32 am

There are three operators of the AN-124 at present, Volga Dneiper of Russia, whose agreement with Heavylift of the UK has terminated, Antonov Design Bureau of the Ukraine and the Air Force of the Russian Federation.

All three use Shannon, the first two regularly (Volga Dneiper has a base here) and the most I've seen on the ground at one time is 4 aircraft. The Russian Air Force visit two or three times a year ferrying trucks to Cuba.

All tend to fly across the Atlantic only as far as Gander as they are severely range restricted when fully laden and fly at around Mach .59!! They are not SELCAL equipped so the radio man has to listen to all the HF static for hours on end.  Sad Take offs, when full, tend to be a slow and laborious affair. There has to be a reasonable gap in traffic before take off as engines have to be run first at 50% for 2 minutes and then at take off power for a further minute before brake release - this causes consternation at many US airports!

When empty, or lightly loaded, the same procedure is followed but take off can be spectacularly fast.

The aircraft carry two internal cranes each capable of lifting 70 metric tonnes. They can kneel to accept cargo and are fully capable of ground operations without hook ups.

Boeing regularly use the Volga Dneiper aircraft for outsize load ferries into Boeing Field.

There is another colour scheme on one of the aircraft in the colours of the defunct Titan Cargo Airways and it operates for Volga Dneiper.

The AN-225, six engined, twin tail version of the 124 has just completed ground tests and is about to fly again after major refurbishment. ADB expect to show it at Paris this year and then put it into service. No doubt it and its half built sister will eventually appear at SNN. I saw the original at Paris in 1979 - big is an understatement.

Turbotristar

Wed Apr 18, 2001 12:05 pm

hey dude, are you from st louis? I am from here and I love going over and spoting at Lambert. write me an e-mail sometime. PropilotJW@aol.com
-Jeff-

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos