Which Airlines Need New Colours

Tue Apr 17, 2001 8:09 pm

guys,

which airlines do u think need new colours?

I have to say this one:

And maybe this one:

Post your opinions here,

HL  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

CPDC10-30

RE: Which Airlines Need New Colours

Tue Apr 17, 2001 8:26 pm

I don't think AA needs to change their scheme. The ones that need to be changed are the boring all-white schemes...espescially Air Canada:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Felix Sieder

The perfect colour scheme is the one they are painting over:

Click for large version

Photo © Brian Wilkes

na

Tue Apr 17, 2001 8:52 pm

Its time for Aeroflot, Alitalia, Air China and Malysia to change soon. Aeroflot has no real livery anymore and what they have is awful and cheap looking. Alitalia livery was nice and new in the 70s but is getting old, especially on their MD-80s. Air China´s livery was and still is awful looking (a 777 in Air Chinas colours looks horrible). Malysias livery isn´t "chic" with the drab brownish grey undersides and the 50/50 mix of red and blue. The livery is aging fast now. Other major airlines that will have to do something within the next 5 years are KLM (only an update, not a complete new one is needed), Lufthansa (more colour, less grey), SIA (still nice but not too modern anymore, they should take the advantage to change with the A380s coming), Delta (I don´t say more here), Air France (still nice, but needs novelty). This list isn´t complete, I know.

From the US majors I guess Continental has to be the next one. The tail is nice but the fuselage is too grey. I miss the red colour of their old livery.
The opposite has to be said about AA. I like the distinctive fuselage, but the grey tail is
crap.

Tue Apr 17, 2001 9:00 pm

Renewing recommendations: Air France, LOT, Braathens (again), Ethiopian, Fiji Air Pacific (again), Midwest Express, Luxair, Iberia, Aerolineas Argentinas, Swisswings (definitely), Cameroon Airlines, Transaero, Ukraine International, Tarom, Malev, PIA, Air India, Indian Airlines, Air Malawi, JAT, Cuban, BMI (again), BA (again), easyJet, AOM, Portugalia, TAP, TACA Cabo Verde, Malaysian, Baltic, Lithuanian Airlines' logo, Martinair, Dutch Bird, Balkan Bulgarian (are they flying again?), the latest Aeroflot, Air Europe, Virgin Blue, Canada 3000, Druk Air, Denim Air.....

C/s enhancement recommendations for KLM, Qantas, South African, Olympic, Aegean, Cyprus Airways, Swissair, Varig, Turkish, Alitalia, Lufthansa, Air Mauritius, Air Seychelles, American, Egyptair, Austrian, Alaskan, JAL, ANA, Air New Zealand, Britannia, Maersk, European Airways, Tulip Air.

Tue Apr 17, 2001 9:00 pm

Na,

I agree totally with u. Aeroflot are lost with thier liveries! I thought that as AA had had thier scheme over 20 years (i think, although it may be more) and it may be time for a change. Maybe not thougth. What about Metrojet and the other low fare airlines around the world eg EasyJet.

CPDC10-30,

What have AC and Canadian done to thier livery! The Goose colours are lush and they shouldn't have got rid of them :-(

Any more?

HL  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cathay Pacific

Tue Apr 17, 2001 9:41 pm

i think there are too many airlines to be named.....so here are just a few i think that needs a new color scheme:

(basically i think all the Chinese airlines need a new color scheme)
Air China:

Click for large version

Photo © Edward Lai

China Eastern

Click for large version

Photo © Aric Thalman

Iberia:

Click for large version

Photo © Ariel Shocron

Impulse Airline

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Fly Cathay Pacific.....The Heart of Asia  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

RE: ...Biman And Impulse And...

Tue Apr 17, 2001 9:46 pm

Forgot Biman, Impulse and a number of Russians and Africans.

QantasA3XX

Tue Apr 17, 2001 9:49 pm

These are the airlines i feel should their liveries
Malaysia and Air India

QantasA380

Greg

Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:50 am

NOT American.
NOT Alitalia.

They may look very familiar, but they are not dated.
Compare them to the mess that is Air Jamica or BWIA (it looks like something from Aliens)

rj777

Wed Apr 18, 2001 4:49 am

Here are my top choices:
1) United
2) American
3) Continental
4) Qantas
5) Northwest
6) All Nippon (ANA)
7) Qantas
8) Singapore
9) Midwest Express
10) US Airways (If the merger doesn't go through)
if the merger does go through, then:
10)Air France (The Concordes need new paint when they fly again)

RayChuang

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:32 am

A few comments:

1. AA will NEVER really change their bare metal look. The plane weighs less that way, and besides, it's almost a unique livery that stands out easily. It's a classic anyway. However, I do want to see more AA planes painted in the nice-looking Retrojet livery, and definitely want to see an AA plane painted in the original livery used on the first DC-3's from 1936.  Smile

2. UA, in my opinion, should look at getting a brighter-looking livery by 2005. The current livery--while good--looks too dark at times.

3. Many airlines need to dump their white fuselage liveries. They look too much like ACMI wet-leaser planes. AF may keep the white fuselage livery since the Concorde needs the white fuselage to reflect heat during supersonic flight.

4. BD needs to can their new bmi livery, the sooner the better. It looks downright ugly, with jarring lines and weird color application.

Soku39

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:41 am

I am Sick of people saying AA needs a new scheme I love the silverbird so get over it. The only one I would change is Air France don't know what colors though. I also like Virgin Blues
The Ohio Player

747buff

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:49 am

I think Delta should trash their HORRIBLE new livery and go back to the one introduced in '97.
At Eastern, we earn our wings every day!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:51 am

Singapore Airlines definately.

Gold bird is nice, but it's time for a change.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

CPDC10-30

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:55 am

I don't know why some of you want to change the US Airways livery. I think it is the best one used by any US carrier...it looks very professional and the colours are very well matched. AA's livery is relativley old, but is truly a classic and doesn't look outdated. I think bare metal schemes make an aircraft look more imposing and powerful...particularly the DC-10 when they still had them. They cannot have bare metal tails on newer aircraft however, since they are usually made of composite materials.

All white schemes are not only boring, but show dirt very easially...take a look at pictures on this site of AC and AF A340s and you'll know what I mean.

ibe1238

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:59 am

I think that IBERIA should update its airliners' liveries and our uniforms(we wear the same since 1985). The slogan of the IBERIA's ads in Spain is ENTRA, DESCUBRE LA NUEVA ERA DE IBERIA(Come, discover IBERIA's new era), so they should update its public image(.... and ours).
Manuel

Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:55 am

I'd say:

1. Air Pacific
2. Air France
3. Iberia
4. El Al (Hopefully they'll do better if there's a 3rd time around)
5. Alitalia (You can't deny the fact that it is OUTDATED)
6. Aerolineous Argentinas (the sooner, the better)
7. Aeromexico

I'm not sure about AA. For them to change would be a cutural shock!

Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:03 am

Continental...looks so generic

SafeFlyer

Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:03 am

Ho my... Ethiopian... looks like in the 30's
Also It's time I think for a change at Air India,
AeroMexico isn't very nice as well as Northwest.

Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:17 am

The more I look at those two shinning silver beauties up there, I say AA should stay! No changes.

America West

Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:17 am

1. American
2. Iberia
3. Sun Country
4. Northwest
5. Midwest Express
6. Continental
7. United

lindy field

Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:21 am

Wouldn't Air Jamaica look so much nicer if they adopted an all white livery, with a simple, small logo on the tail?

Al319

Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:22 am

SOUTHWEST NEEDS TO GET RID OF THAT AEWFUL BLUE!!!!
“atom celled…jet propelled”

guerosinfe

Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:27 am

Iberia, Aerolineas Argentinas, Alitalia, Singapore, Northwest, Avianca, Delta, Cathay Pacific, KLM.
Air France is a bit old, but it would be nice if they just paint their winglets, one in blue and the other red, just like the french flag.
The Air Force One could be repainted too, its c/s is a bit 'cold'.

GüeroSinFé

AApilot2b

Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:05 am

I completely agree with CPDC10-30. The bland white fuselages that so many airlines have adopted in the past few years, are far more boring than Americans unique and different polished aluminum. Besides, American has traditionally had polished aluminum for decades (since their early years). A bit of tradition and cultural identity (in terms of the company) is welcome to me. Big grin

TonyBurr

Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:10 am

The PHANTOM airline, United! Maybe with the buyout of US they will, but I doubt it.

I think SQ is great on the outside and the inside!

blink182

Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:44 am

I love the AA scheme, but I do think that it could be enhanced a little bit(do something with the cheatline) and add some shades of colors rather than blue,red, and white. They should have a royal blue, cranberry or maroon, and white and they should make the cheatline wavy. Other than that, AA's color scheme is fantastic. I like China Airlines' scheme, especially the flower on it. My personal favorite is the Proud Wings livery by Canadian, but sadly it is going away as we speak.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Qantas737

Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:18 am

This post seems to be more of "I dont like that livery and that one and that one......" rather than having a detailed look and seeing which airlines really do need new liveries.

In my opninion, only few airlines need a livery change, but still I find every livery to be unique in that it shows the airline's backgrounds. Air India I have never liked but I find it very unique as like I said before, It really shows of the heritage of the country it represents.

JAL

Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:23 am

All Chinese carriers are in need of a new look!!!!

My other choices:
Air Canada (keep the Canadian's Proud Wings)
American (change the tail only)
SouthWest (Horrible colors)
Air India (need to update)
Ethiopian Airlines
Kuwait Airways
Sabena
Austrian Airlines
Iberia
Aerolineas Argentinas
Work Hard But Play Harder

ei a330-200

Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:34 am

Qantas, while still a classic, needs to either adopt an all special livery 747 fleet, or spice it up some how. I saw one on the "Dreaming" liveries flying to LAX, I thought it was incredible. Very eye catching and always identifiable. CO needs to be updates, as does Aeroflot. Does Transavia even have a scheme. It seems like a cross between AA and what every airline they get their used planes from. Aer Lingus kicks ass and should never change! I thing that AC should take Canadian's color scheme. That my 2 cents!

tupolev154b2

Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:46 am

AA, NW nor US need to change. The new Delta, BMI and the current UAL liveries need to be changed.

chepos

Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:48 am

1-Air Europa
2-EL AL- new colors
3-Delta's- new new colors
4-SAS
5-Qantas
6-JAL
7-Air New Zeland
8-Air Pacific
9-Egyptair
10-South African Airways
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

jmhLUV2fly

Wed Apr 18, 2001 12:26 pm

I often wonder about Delta AirLines, and why they chose the new image and direction such as they did, painting there airplanes twice, spending tons of money on repainting those planes, upgrading terminal gates, computer systems etc. and choose to not pay there pilots adequately. While I realize this comment slightly goes beyond the scope of the orginal topic posted, I feel it all has merrit. An airlines color scheme is a quick projection of how the airline has chosen to represent itself. An airplanes colors, like an advertisement, should be apealing but should also get your attention and encourage you to say wow, this company (airline) has it together. You want your airline colors to stand out from the rest. When you paint your airplane all white such as Delta has, you tend to blend in with the rest, ie. Continental, Air Canada etc. I think United has the most apealing and professional looking colors.

kevin

Wed Apr 18, 2001 2:59 pm

Aeroflot had a nice livery back in early 90s. Not sure why they deleted it.

Click for large version

Photo © Guido Latz

seb146

Wed Apr 18, 2001 4:20 pm

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to jump on the all-white fuselage bandwagon. While we are at it, why not just move all airinles over to Star Alliance? I like United, Air Jamaica, American, new Sun Country, Southwest and USAirways because they don't go with everyone else. I also think the newest Delta tail scheme (some call it Deltaflot) is fresh and a welcome site to me. Just for the record, I don't like Horizon's abstract setting sun thing.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

aviasian

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:54 pm

Definitely Air Pacific !!!

With those little pencil-thin streaks on the rudder . . . can the airline really claim to have a livery at all? Seen or photographed from 3/4 front, you don't even see the colours on the rudder.

And isn't it about time Air Afrique overhaul her so-called new livery . . . and make this change count for something worthy of this colourful continent.

Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:07 pm

I think QF should update, nothing drastic, maybe a red belly (I really like Ryefly's QF scheme No.4, but i do think qantas should always keep the flying roo) ? I think Singapore Airlines would look nice if they replaced the gold with silver. Malaysian needs a restyle but i think they should keep the kite on the tail. Royal Brunei c/s looks nice but with a couple of changes it would look stunning,

Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:17 pm

Forgot to say i love the new & old impulse hate the virgin blue

Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:37 pm

AA should not change anything about their aircraft. I don't know why, but I just love their livery. And to whoever said they need to change the tail..... I have to disagree.... theres just something about those twins i can't get over

chepos

Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:05 pm

WOW I actually consider the current MAS livery to be a very nice looking one and as some one mentioned before United's livery is one of the most proffesional looking colors around .
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

CHRISBA777ER

Personal Opinion: All White Liveries Can Look Good

Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:39 pm

I think that BMI have the best new livery to come out in the last ten years. Its better even than the new Virgin Atlantic livery. Someone said Air Jamaica livery looked bad. What? Its one of the nicest in the sky!!! I like the BA Union Flag design, very much, and they will not change anyway so its a good job I like it really. Mexicana, Air France, Iberia, TAP, LOT, Aeroflot, Sabena, Monarch, Alitalia, and a couple more all need replacing with more modern designs. But its just personal opinion.
Best Wishes
Chris Morgan
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

vambridge

Thu Apr 19, 2001 3:50 am

AIR INDIA!!!!!!

trintocan

Sat Apr 21, 2001 11:33 pm

Lindy field, is that what you really want for Air Jamaica? That is what their paint scheme used to be - merely a white fuselage with yellow and orange stripes passing into the tailfin with a small logo featuring the Doctor Bird. It looked very plain and unimaginative. Their new flamboyant colours have certainly helped to revolutionize their image.

Ditto BWIA, although they were more imaginative from the outset by incorporating pan in their logo. It was just that the old pan scheme was worn with time (30 years).

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

Jaspike

Sun Apr 22, 2001 4:27 am

.....Iberia.-Futura looks OK, but I don't like their uniforms. Very old fashioned.

Jas

rey777

Sun Apr 22, 2001 4:51 am

Well, Air France need some !

Regards,

Rey

Sun Apr 22, 2001 5:49 am

Renewing needed :
1. Alitalia (looks very old!)
2. Iberia (looks very old!)
3. Virgin-Express
4. Tarom
5. Air France
6. LOT
7. Luxair
8. TAP
9. KLM
10. Olympic

Regards,

Bob

flight152

Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:05 am

Need of change-
1. Iberia
2. Southwest (ewwwwwwwwwwww!)
3. Alitalia
4. Air India

Stay with what you have-
1. American Airlines
2. USAir
3. United
4. Qantas

DTW/ORD Fan!

Sun Apr 22, 2001 12:19 pm

Northwest does NOT need to change it's livery!
KLM looks very good, but it does need a little update.
Personally, I love United, American and US Airways.
Delta needs to go back to it's '97 scheme, and Continental just needs a little more on the fusalauge, I love the tails.
I like Frontiers new look better than it's old.
The blue on SWA is interesting, but is a bit too much.
AF needs new paint like WHOA!

AerLingus

Sun Apr 22, 2001 1:19 pm

1)Aeroflot is number one on my list. Their dark blue tapering cheatlines are overused on all of the Aeroclones in eastern Europe. They need to keep it all white, but with no tapering cheatlines. Add modern lettering, in narrower italics, changing it to Aeroflot Russian Airlines. Enlarge to Aeroflot wings logo and put it on the tail offcentre, having part of the wings cut off due to the tail area. Make the logo a set of brass wings, photo-quality, like the Frontier designs on a red white and blue background (flag colours) fading as it moves forward on the fuselage, disappearing a third of the way up the fuselage.
2)Aerolineas Argentinas needs an update. Their logo is very early nineties and they could be a little more imaginative. It reminds me of a blue Iberia with different titles. I say keep the bold titles, but have a solid light blue top above the windows, extending down to the nose in front and the bottom of the plane in the back. Perhaps for a little of a retro look, a dark blue nose to constrast the light blue.
3)Delta Airlines' scheme is downright comatose! The tail is nice. I think they need to work with that more and extend a ribbon akin to a cheatline along the fuselage, similar ANA or El Al.
4)QANTAS is far too plain. They need to take the red tail, and trail it up the fuselage, tapering to a point at the nose, before the cone. Other than that, don't change the QANTAS design.

I need to get into photoshop! I have more ideas than I can articulate here!
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos