zrs70

Where To Connect, Europe Or The States?

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:38 am

This is in conjunction with an ealier post of mine (do you prefer connections or nonstop flights)...

When travelling between cities like (for example) Boston and Vienna, would you rather go BOS-JFK-VIE, or BOS-(somewhere in Europe: LHR/CDG/FRA)-VIE?

I always would rather connect in Europe. Especially with the return, as a US connection would require me to go through customs then check bags again.

17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Soku39

RE: Where To Connect, Europe Or The States?

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:51 am

I guess it depends I would like to connect in Europe since I am from the U.S. It sounds kinda nice as you get to meet people from other countries.
The Ohio Player

parisien

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:56 am

it depends...on the way to the US, i have no preference...connecting in US or europe is the same. But on the way home I would prefer to connect in europe (FRA, LHW, Zurich, AMS) and make the short hop to CDG or ORY.
To Asia, I prefer to make the connections definitely in europe as I found it could be chaotic in Asia, even if the ground personnels are all so nice. That said, it could get chaotic in CDG too and the ground personnels dont even smile at you !!!

MAH4546

Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:07 am

I connect first, assuming I can get a direct flight from Europe home. It sounds confusing, but here's how it goes.

Let's say I want to fly from Miami to Athens. There are no direct flights between the cities, so on the way there I would connect FIRST and go a route such as MIA-JFK-ATH. On the way home, I would again connect FIRST and fly something like Athens-Istanbul-Miami or Athens-Madrid-Miami or Athens-Milan-Miami (any other European city would be a hassle since they would make the flight much longer). However, if I lived in, say, Kansas City with no direct flights from Europe, I would fly ATH-JFK-MCI. I connect first, assuming it means that is the only connection I need to make. I hate connecting.
a.

dfleet7

Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:13 am

i would probably do the one closest to the starting airport. that way you do not need to get confortable and then 6 hours later have to change planes. it is better to just take a short flight before boarding the long one.
Drew