apuneger

Incident At Ostend Airport, Belgium

Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:04 am

This evening, at 22h15 local time (GMT+1+DST), a Russian freight plane, bound for Algeria, got off the runway at Ostend airport, Belgium.
Fortunately, nobody of the crew members was injured.

More information is missing at the moment. I don't know the exact circumstances. Did it abort it's take-off, or did it return when the crew saw that something was wrong?

I'm sure that surrounders of the airport will once again take their griefs about the airport (unsafe operations, very low approaches,...) to the local politicians.

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

crewchief32

RE: Incident At Ostend Airport, Belgium

Thu Apr 19, 2001 12:59 pm

Hello,

some more infos:

OTL 5543
Destination: Algiers

CC32

BelugaBoy

Thu Apr 19, 2001 3:58 pm

The Belgian radio this morning reported that the pilot got the warning that there was a fire in one of the engines. He tried to abort takeof but the plane ended up in a gras field beside the runway.
A newspaper sais it ended up approx 100m of an shopping centre.
I haven't seen any pictures or TV images yet so I don't know that this is actually true.
They also say nobody was hurt but the plane is serious damage. There is no info about what the plane was carying at the time.

1stspotter

Thu Apr 19, 2001 6:43 pm

Hi,

Here is a link to an article of a Belgium newspaper including a photo of the aircraft.

http://www.destandaard.be/nieuws/binnenland/index.asp?ArticleID=DMF19042001_001&Doctype=snelnieuws.asp

It is true that there is a shopping centre close to the runway end, but it seems a little bit of sensation writing in this newspaper.

best wishes
Marcel

apuneger

Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:16 pm

I don't get it.

If he had already passed V1, then why didn't he take-off?
If he didn't pass V1, how comes that he ran off the end of the runway?

So, maybe Russian cargo-pilots don't use all these speed-references at all and rely on intuition?

Anyway, I don't think that this would have happened with a newer aircraft and well-trained pilots...

Ivan (no, I'm no Russian)
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography