aerosol

German Boeing Advertisement

Thu Apr 19, 2001 8:30 am

In the German aviation magazine "Flug Revue" Boeing did an advertisement to inform the general public that they will continue to increase the performance of the 747. Above a picture of a 747-400 there is a headline in German:"Ihr Zukunft ist so beeindruckend wie ihre Vergangenheit". Because the 747 is a female word in German, the sentence is gramatically wrong. Usually it should be:"IHRE Zukunft.....". I think its quite funny, but the magazine is read by lots of people work in the business including pilots and airline managers. For a global player like Boeing it is a bit embarrasing. Companies pay people a lot of money to create a better company image, using language which includes mistakes is not professional and has a negative effect on the company image. I would like to hear other opinions about this and hope my spelling and grammar is correct.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Aerosol

gerardo

RE: German Boeing Advertisement

Thu Apr 19, 2001 4:24 pm

Haha! I didn't notice that one.

BTW, I think, Boeing has increased their publicity in german magazines. Perhaps they target LH, which have 2 interesting orders open: the A300-replacement and the possible A380 order.

Regards
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

sydneysider

Thu Apr 19, 2001 5:04 pm

I think, it´s a typo, ´cause the second half (...ihre Vergangenheit) is indeed female genus. the "ihr zukunft..." is, I´m quite sure, a nice typo. "ihr zukunft" is grammatically wrong.
BTW, recently there was another @ from Boeing at the back of Aero International, showing two 737-workers, standing in front of a hill in the Rheingau :"Wussten Sie, dass xyz (sorry, dunno exact number) Prozent der 737 in Deutschland produziert werden ?"
The reason for these Boeing @s is, IMO, that Boeing want´s to bring its products more in the "heads" of the german air-travellers, ´cause, except some 737/747 at LH and 737 at DeutscheBA, the german air-market is a AI monopoly.

Chris

L-188

Thu Apr 19, 2001 5:10 pm

Thinks ranks right up there with the Kennedy, "Icht Bien Ein Berliner" statement.

In that case I have had a german teacher who thought it meant somebody from Berlin and a german teacher who swear that he called them a Jelly Doughnut.

And both of the people where born and raised in Germany....So who knows.

I think we are running into the difference between street and proper German.

Kind of like the difference between American street english and the Queen's english.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Udo

No AI Monopoly!

Thu Apr 19, 2001 6:33 pm

Germany an AI monopoly? I guess you forgot some of the following:

- Air Berlin: B738, B734
- Britannia: B763
- Condor: B763. B753 (lauch customer, world's largest operator), B752
- Germania: B73G
- Hamburg International: B73G
- Hapag Lloyd: B738, B734; HF is launch customer and the world's third largest operator of the B738!!!
- LTU: B763, B752

Please note that after the US, nowhere more B738 are based with airlines than in Germany!

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

Notarzt

Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:22 pm

Both, Boeing and Airbus, use to have adverts in German aviation magazines - just like AI(R), Lockheed Martin, Embraer, etc.!

However, I also noticed the misspelling in the Boeing 747 advert last week. Since it is a headline... MOST PAINFUL!

Daniel

Notarzt

Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:30 pm

L-188,

It's not the difference between street and proper German - it's elementary grammatics (although, as I am convinced, it goes back to a simple typo).

The analogy with Kennedy does not work. He said "Ich bin ein Berliner"... which is quite correct, disregarding the pronunciation - which was quite good for the 1960's.

Daniel

sydneysider

Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:54 pm

Yep, Udo, you´re right,
sorry, was early in the morning! I even forgot my homecarrier HF, shame!
But, maybe someone knows: Are there more AI or Boeings in Germany, interesting question, I think!

...puh, I need a vacation!!

Chris

Ikarus

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:54 am

Berliner = Berlin citizen
Berliner = doughnut-like sweet.

Just as "Frankfurter" and "Wiener" are words for citizens and a sausage, Hamburger is a citizen and ...errr.... a hamburger...

Kennedy's
'Today the proudest statement is "Ich bin ein Berliner" ' (forgive me if I misquoted) is grammatically and linguistically perfectly correct.

Sorry for getting off track...

Regards

Ikarus

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos