Thai Airways To Take Antonovs...maybe

Thu Apr 19, 2001 10:58 am

It has been reported by a usually reliable Russian aviation source, that Thai Airways is in the process of leasing 2 737-400s to Astrakhan Airlines of Russia. In return Astrakhan Airlines will lease to Thai Airways 2 An-24s, which TG will operate on services to Cambodia, Myanmar and within Thailand.

The An-24s are currently undergoin overhaul in Rostov-na-Donu.

Does anyone have any idea which An-24s are involved in this deal?

Also, I mean I love Russian aviation to the hilt, but TG taking An-24s which would be some 30 years old? Maybe TG are thinking of setting up some type of subsidiary company for these aircraft's operations....either way, it would sure be sweet to see the An-24 in a "western" airlines fleet.

Don't forget that at this point, this deal is only a rumour (with some base), which followed the TG CEO visiting Astrakhan on 14/4.

RE: Thai Airways To Take Antonovs...maybe

Thu Apr 19, 2001 11:43 am

Being formerly from the USSR, I can vouch for the nonexistent quality standards
of Soviet production lines. These planes are probably held together with bubble
gum and chicken wire instead of rivets. I sure wouldn't fly on one.

RE: Thai Airways To Take Antonovs...maybe

Thu Apr 19, 2001 8:36 pm

Sounds a bit dubious, I doubt it Thai would opt for such old aircraft, wether or not theyre Russian or Ukranian or Western is besides the point, though it would be great if they got some new ones, I really want to see Russian and Ukranian planes in the fleets of leading airlines, hopefully PIA will take interest in the Antonov/Iran-140 to replace their F27s Smile
.....up there with the best!