United747-200
Topic Author

Can You Fly On Cargos?

Fri Apr 20, 2001 8:44 am

I was wondering if people can fly on airlines like Polar Air Cargo or Evergreen. I know that some of their 747s have seats on the upper deck, but are they available to people? Thank you.

United747-200

DeltaRNOmd-80

RE: Can You Fly On Cargos?

Fri Apr 20, 2001 8:54 am

I imagine you could if the cabin was pressurized. But I don't think any cargo airline would let Joe Schmoe ride on one of their planes for free.

Soku39

Fri Apr 20, 2001 9:10 am

Well some commercial airlines on their 747 freighters have crew rest facilities and seats for employee/crew transport. No peanuts thou  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
The Ohio Player

Fri Apr 20, 2001 9:12 am

Don't FedEx employees get to travel on the FedEx planes, and I also think they can take friends if they want, however they do have to pay!
Iain

DE727UPS

Fri Apr 20, 2001 9:58 am

There are jump seats on all cargo aircraft, and the 747's tend to have some of the old first class seats in the upper deck for company crew transportation. At UPS, there a four really nice seats on our 747's. UPS only allows a certain small group of air district employees the opportunity to ride, they are not pilots.....of course, other airline pilots are welcome anytime to the jumpseat, as are UPS mechanics. Fedex has a much more open policy. I've heard they let their rampers ride the jumpseat, don't know about other employees, and I would doubt you could just "take your friends". I'm sure you don't have to pay, either. As far as the general public being able to ride on a freighter....forget it.

baec777

Fri Apr 20, 2001 10:39 am

As you see seats on upper deck of Freighters, they are for pilots to rest during flight. Some Freighters go oversea to about 15 to 18 hours long.... they have plenty of pilots for those flights. Too bad we cant aboard jets like those.

Let look at this Freighter.

CargoLux - LX-GCV 'City of Esch/Alzette'

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © David Unsworth

Baec777  Wink/being sarcastic

AN727

Fri Apr 20, 2001 10:50 am

Fedex allows all international express staff to jumpseat. To jumpseat you need to be able to speak to English. There are other rules.
The jumpseats are the same as seen in Castaway. The jumpseats in a MD-11 do face backwards.
Depending on the type of the aircraft and if a crew rest is needed.
Generally Airbus 300 & 310 has 6 to 8 seats
MD-11 & DC-10 kas 4 to 6
I wonder how many jumpseats that the A380 will have?

jumbojettim

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:13 pm

Any permanent-part time or full-time employee at FedEx can jumpseat. They cannot bring friends. For myself, I have "jumpseated" to YMX, PHL, LGW, CDG, and ARN, cost $0. This is an incredible benefit that FedEx offers. The only drawback is that you can be "bumped" from a flight just prior to departure.

Cheers.

tupolev154b2

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:18 pm

Doesn't UPS run charters with their cargo-configured 727's?

AN727

Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:11 pm

Not all FedEx staff can jumpseat. Only FedEx Express staff can for example FedEx Ground cannot jumpseat. Not all US FedEx Express can jumpseat, I believe domestic staff cannot jumpseat.

Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:21 pm

Yes you can.

But there are some restrictions.

I was working for a international forwarding company,
and we had our own planes (ATLAS ACMI).

Via HUB (for example LUX) we could fly to HKG.
Infact it was very cheap and convenient.

They have (Atlas Air "Spirit of Panalpina") some seats there, which are very comfortable.

Self catering, door to flight deck is always open, its really an expirience.

But you can only do it, if you come / work for an forwarding company or that Aircraft operator.

fxra

Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:43 pm

As stated, ALL Fedex Express employees (rampers, couriers, service agents) and FedEx Corporate div employees can jumpseat on fedex planes. THe ohter companies (FedEx Ground, FedEx Logistics, FedEx Trade Services, FedEx Pizza Delivery, etc...) cannot jumpseat.

You must somprehend and speak english, take a certification test every six months... and a few odd other requirements (no facial hair, dress requirements). In addition, there are some exceptions... but usually they go under Animal Handlers and Special Cargo COuriers and such. No, i cannot take my freinds.. (i wish.. and so do they).

Its a great benefit, especially if your young and single and like to bounce around. But again, you can be bumped at anytime... and the boxes have priority over any jumper. But i think a number like only 30-40% of the seats are used system wide. I've personally been all over the US and to HKG, ANC, HNL, SFS, SYD, and few others on the jumpseat. I think other cargo airlines allow some employees to ride. But i don;t beleive you can buy tickets to fly on the cargo carriers... the ultimate in no-frills
Visualize Whirled Peas

crj-900

Fri Apr 20, 2001 10:45 pm

If I had the choice, I would without hesitation take a cargo aircraft before a comercial flight. You cannot beat the leg room(I'm talking about wide body aircraft), or the company you get on the flight. If you get tired, roll out your ground sheet and sleep. It is difficult to get jumpseats on cargo aircraft though, but not impossible. It really depends on who your friends are and where they work(or where you work). Of course there is always a chance that you can be bumped, in the case of "Cargo Aircraft Only" dangerous goods, last minute priority company jump seats for AOG's and the like.
So, to make a short story long, united747-200, you can jump seat on cargo aircraft.
crj-900

L-188

Fri Apr 20, 2001 10:52 pm

as Fxra stated the only non-employee's that usually can fly on freighter aircraft are preple that are requred to handle the cargo.

For example when they flew that dumb-ass whale from Mexice to Oregon a few years back the back end was full of Biologists to care for the whale.

Horses are another type of animal that has numerous handlers to fly with it.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Boeing757/767

Fri Apr 20, 2001 11:44 pm

I work for a cargo airline that flies 747s. I fly on them for company business. It is always an unforgettable experience.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

FedExIndy

Fri Apr 20, 2001 11:51 pm

You can also be bumped if the CG of the plane is so close to the forward limit. A jumper does account for a small amount of weight on the W/B manifest. I have seen a few planes leave that were so close, that a single jumper would have put the plane out of CG.

JetService

Sat Apr 21, 2001 1:23 am

I send my employees on cargo flights all the time. They are much cheaper and save on my travel budget immensely. The only complaints I get is that it is difficult to get out of the box and the packing peanuts tend to hold lots of body heat.
"Shaddap you!"

United747-200
Topic Author

Thank You!

Sat Apr 21, 2001 8:48 am

Thanks you everyone! You have given me hopes about flying on cargos. My uncle is president of government travel on Northwest (he gets congressmen, senators, etc. to fly them) maybe he could "help me out." The reason I wanted to fly on a cargo is so I could see the cockpit action. I have flown business class on a United 747-400 and I saw the cockpit before we took off, but in a cargo, maybe the pilots would be more open for visitors in flight. Once again, Thanks alot!

United747-200

747buff

Sat Apr 21, 2001 8:50 am

Hey JetService, ROFLMAO!
At Eastern, we earn our wings every day!

rkmcswain

Sat Apr 21, 2001 9:00 am

Does UPS still do this?

Reported by the Honolulu Star-Bulletin 03/07/1997

UPS plans to start passenger flights
ATLANTA -- United Parcel Service will soon begin delivering people as well as packages.
UPS said yesterday it can convert its Boeing 727s in under four hours by loading a platform fitted with carpeting and seats through the extra-wide cargo doors. "They'll take out the package service on Friday and convert it to a passenger liner, and take it out for service again on Monday," UPS spokesman Mark Dickens said.

The weekend passenger flights are scheduled to start March 15. Each plane will seat up to 113 passengers. Flights must be booked through a cruise line or tour operator. Plans include flights from Chicago, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Louisville, Ky., to Orlando, Fla., Puerto Rico, and Mexico.

Link to above article

rkmcswain

Sat Apr 21, 2001 9:07 am

Apparently they do, not exactly a cargo flight though

Link to recent article 01-15-2001

HS-LTA

Sat Apr 21, 2001 9:47 am

As I know, people can buy ticket to fly on Cargolux cargo planes.
But all HKG outbound a/c cannot allow non-empolyee cargo jumpseat.

boeing 747-311

Sat Apr 21, 2001 2:37 pm

On some frieghters you can!
Come fly with US

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos