Shanti
Topic Author

Scenarios After AZ Into Skyteam

Mon Apr 23, 2001 8:46 pm

AZ and AF will conclude an agreement by end May (Italian Press) and this will lead AZ into SkyTeam. AZ officials said priorities of the partnership are South and East Europe and Sky team will gain more importance. I also see very good complementarity between AZ and AF routes.
What scenarios do you envisage for alliances after this major agreement? Will Qualiflyer be crushed between Skyteam, Star and One World? Will Skyteam get a leading role?

deltairlines

RE: Scenarios After AZ Into Skyteam

Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:50 pm

In Europe, SkyTeam will be the best I feel, with Air France and Alitalia, two of the largest carriers in one alliance. Oneworld has Finnair and Iberia, and Star Austrian, British Midland, Lauda, and Tyrolean after their big friends (BA and LH) in these respective alliances. SkyTeam will have CSA after that, but they have the best grip on Europe I feel.
SkyTeam does need some help. They are dominant in North America and Europe, but have nothing else. They need a few more Asian carriers, and maybe Royal Air Maroc and SAA might join. TransBrasil might also come in from South America though.

Jeff

steman

Mon Apr 23, 2001 10:03 pm

Hi,
probably DeltAirlines explained well what will be the scenario in Europe. I am just wondering the fate of airlines like KLM and Swissair.
Moreover, there will be also a great change in the North Atlantic because of Alitalia's operation changing from Northwest's to Delta's hubs.
I think that SkyTeam will benefit by the Alitalia network and Alitalia will earn a lot by the partnership with two of the most dynamic and powerful carriers on Earth, Delta and Air France.

Ciao

Stefano

johnnybgoode

Tue Apr 24, 2001 1:19 am

i really think that AZ fits very well into Skyteam and it´s nice seeing skyteam garnering members.
however, i definitively disagree about skyteam´s dominance in europe and in north america especially, where it´s only got one partner, and f.e. star has UA and AC...
well, but let´s not be nitpicking...  Wink/being sarcastic

cheers
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

deltairlines

Tue Apr 24, 2001 1:23 am

Delta has Aeromexico in Mexico, where most of the US-Mexico flights have a DL code on them, which I do not think is true with United and Air Canada/Mexicana. Now, Alitalia will be starting ATL and possible CVG flights to MXP, and BOS will probably get a codeshare with Delta.

Jeff

jrlander

Tue Apr 24, 2001 1:27 am

I do not think we will see Alitalia flights to Atlanta soon..... I think they will codeshare on Delta's flights. Delta has very low loads during the winter on the FCO flight. If codeshares through FCO and MXP do start, this may start to raise these numbers.... But I don't think we will see and red and green planes here for a while.

deltairlines

Tue Apr 24, 2001 2:22 am

If a DL/AZ codeshare comes through, Delta might pull out of the market and place the 767 for a new route, ie BOS-FRA or JFK-HEL, etc.

Jeff

aussie_

Tue Apr 24, 2001 9:09 pm

I think oneworld will hold europe once sabena and swissair join.

i'm only guessing here but many other people are guessing the same!

however skyteam has a rosy future particularly on the transatlantic market. What they need is an asian presence. Badly. MH would be ideal but I think MH is looking elsewhere.

steman

Tue Apr 24, 2001 9:17 pm

And MH cannot compete with giants like Singapore, Thai, Cathay and Qantas, even though it would fit better than JAL into SkyTeam and Korean Air network

Ciao

Stefano

imkeww

Tue Apr 24, 2001 11:46 pm

DeltAirlines--

UA does not have many codeshare flights with Mexicana, but you are wrong in saying it doesn't with AC.

UA and AC have antitrust immunity and have one of the closest and most comprehensive codeshare networks togetherl; I'd venture to say more than 2/3 of all transborder flights operated by the two are codeshared.