airmale

Kyrghyzstan Airlines Suspends Birmingham Service

Tue Apr 24, 2001 9:05 pm

Kyrghyzstan Airlines have suspended their weekly(Sunday) service to BHX until the company is re-financed and an A320 is available, what aircraft were they plying on the route and what was the routing of the service Smile
.....up there with the best!

ZOOMER

RE: Kyrghyzstan Airlines Suspends Birmingham Service

Tue Apr 24, 2001 11:58 pm

I can answer your question in part. The service began with a French registered and leased A320. This was re-possessed only several weeks later after being impounded (following maintenance) in Shannon. The airline continued serving BHX with it's own TU-154s The exact routing I can't remember.

A330-243

Wed Apr 25, 2001 8:08 am

Actually the service was suspended about a year ago its been a while since K2 were at BHX.

I did see one of their TU-154s when I was at the airport to see the first PK flight. That day was 16/4/2000, not long after the Sunday afternoon service was suspended.

I'm certain the A320 flew nonstop to Bishkek (FRU). However the TU-154s may have routed with a stop enroute. Some of the cities included may have been Kiev, Minsk and Kishinev. Sorry, my memory of the flight routing is a bit vague.

In the last 5 years there have been a number of airlines to BHX from the Central Asia (CIS) region. The first to do so was Tajikistan International who flew to Dushanbe and continued to Delhi with a leased TriStar. They where followed by Turkmenistan who recently went daily and have rights to fly ASB-BHX-YYZ/JFK. In March 2000 Uzbekistan flew Thursday and Friday 757 service, continued onwards from Tashkent to Amritsar. This route was recently suspended. Also Kazakhstan served Almaty with Tupolevs for a short period.

Oops, too much information!  Smile

Pe@rson

Wed Apr 25, 2001 8:11 am

K2 used to route FRU-IST-BHX, once-weekly using the A320. I don't recall this service operating non-stop.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."