airbus380

The Lake Before Runway 1 At DCA

Thu Apr 26, 2001 8:10 am

I was landing at DCA and we went over a lake on approach to runway 1. It goes straight up to the chain link fence. I drove past it and saw a fisherman fishing on it. This is such a cool spot. Has any one been on it, it would be perfect for spotting.

desertjets

RE: The Lake Before Runway 1 At DCA

Thu Apr 26, 2001 8:20 am

On the river visual to rwy 1 at DCA you pass over the Georgetown resevoir. This is perhaps the lake you saw.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

gocaps16

Thu Apr 26, 2001 11:50 am

DesertJet, you cannot go fishin in a reservoir, duh. The only "lake" I know is the Potomac river which isn't a lake.

Kevin/DCA

yes, I have gone spotting on the river on a sailboat once, it was a great experience.

kevin/dca

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Apr 26, 2001 2:00 pm

Easy, gang....Airbus380 is correct, there is a lagoon right next to DCA RWY 1. The George Washington Parkway is on the spit of land that divides it from the Potomac River. The lagoon is a federal waterfowl sanctuary. I've seen 8-10 Blue Herons at once standing in it at once, while driving by on the parkway.

If you're driving southbound on the Parkway, just after you pass I-395 you'll notice that there's water on both sides of you. On the left is Gravelly Point park, with its spotting area and soccer fields, then the Potomac River. On the right is the lagoon/ waterfowl sanctuary, which indeed often has fishermen at its banks. There's a small pull-off area for cars to park; cabs often wait there for some reason.

Just as you reach the end of the lagoon, DCA is on the left. Props using the crosswind runway--15/33?--fly right over it on the way in.

Jim

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

desertjets

Thu Apr 26, 2001 2:12 pm

I don't really like being wrong, but now that you mention it I can picture the place. But for the record you do pass over the Georgetown Resevoir too!

I was in a car with my sister-in-laws family trying to get from the 395 onto the NB G-W Parkway at about 9 o'clock at night and we got off at the last exit before you cross the Potomac and we spun around this lagoon type area just east and south of the Pentagon.

BTW, we eventually got onto the G-W Parkway, after getting off 395 at 14th St. and coming back across on the Memorial Bridge!

Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia