DL_Mech
Topic Author

CBS 48 Hours : Singapore Crash

Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:05 pm

On 2 May, 2001, CBS will run a 48 hours episode called "Cheating Death." I just saw a promo for the show and it showed up close footage of the Tropical Megatop 747 wreckage (even cabin shots) and interviews with the passengers........Don't forget to set the VCR!
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

B747

RE: CBS 48 Hours : Singapore Crash

Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:07 pm

Thanks so much for the info, I will definatly not miss that one!!!
V/R
Brian
At Pope, where not happy, until you're not happy!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Apr 27, 2001 4:32 pm

Great(!)
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

LoneStarMike

Thu May 03, 2001 8:01 am

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top as the program is on tonight in about 3 hours where I live. And thanks, DL_Mech, for the heads up.

LoneStarMike

ILOVEA340

Thu May 03, 2001 8:03 am

what time in the pacific zone???

DL_Mech
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2001 8:32 am

Thanks LoneStarMike, for the heads up! I almost forgot about the show and it was my thread! I'm going to tape the show so I can pause it and get a good look at the wreckage......

DL_Mech
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2001 8:44 am

10 PM Eastern time for those interested......

DL_Mech
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2001 10:48 am

AerLingus

Thu May 03, 2001 10:50 am

I'll be sure to tune in for that. I am sure that it promises to be a very interesting special.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Thu May 03, 2001 11:15 am

that guy john diaz is revolting...

"yea, i yelled at everyone, MOVE..."
sheesh...

it's the first commercial break now, and this show's apparently a pile of crap, the classic, the americans are heroes, they saved everyone... the others? they were hanging like bats in a cave, doing nothing...

i can't believe how full of shit this media can be, and how fake all these people they iinterview are... let's see what the $#% diaz is gonna say after the brake, oops it's back on

Two Thumbs Down

Thu May 03, 2001 11:23 am

tabloid show

"their lives are changed forever"

very stupid show

DL727-200adv

RE: Two Thumbs Down ..I Disagree

Thu May 03, 2001 12:17 pm

I never thought I’d end up defending the media with regard to an aviation related story but I didn’t see anything wrong with the 48 Hours story on the SIA tragedy. So it was told from the perspective of several of the American survivors? I didn’t see that they were implying that people of other nationalities acted stupidly. IMHO the stupid actions in this accident were the actions of the flight crew and those of the Airport Authority who should have been in charge of ensuring that the runway signs & markings are clear & easily readable in all weather conditions. I don’t know how anyone’s life could not be “changed forever” after surviving such an accident in which so many others did not survive. Perhaps the worst part about the SIA accident is that it was so senseless and preventable.

DL727-200adv

An-225

Thu May 03, 2001 1:01 pm

I hope to see it again.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

dragon-wings

Thu May 03, 2001 1:09 pm

Why has the wreckage been sitting outside on the airport grounds for 6 months? shouldn't it be in a hanger or something?
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Pilot1113

Thu May 03, 2001 2:01 pm

To the defense of those pilots, the runway that was under construction wasn't protrayed as a runway on the airport diagram. It was protrayed as a taxiway.

- Neil Harrison

Adam84

Thu May 03, 2001 2:05 pm

Not to mention the guy (the guy who was in the upper deck), uhhh well the flight attendants were just sitting there like dazed deer, then when they tried to open the door they couldnt. Also the host or whatever called the airline "Singapore Air" that kinda got under my skin but I digress. Now those other 2 stories were quite shocking. Especially the lady in Fort Lauderdale who sat down in the swamp for like 4 days, what makes me sick is that the guy who ran her off the road is probably only going to get tried for leaving the scene of an accident. Thats nice how the justice system works.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu May 03, 2001 4:16 pm

Anywhere where I can see this "show?"

John Diaz? Well I've had enough of him frankly. And that's all I'm gonna say about him.

At to Air. Well they always say that in America on their news shows or whatever. MSNBC: British Air, CNN: Singapore Air, ABC: Singapore Air

Yeah. Whatever!

OK Looking at Everett's comments.

Diaz should have died in the 83.

Singapore 777

Thu May 03, 2001 8:15 pm

Please guys...let's not hope that people die shall we even though he might not have done right by trying to portray himself as the hero. Just consider the fact that he should consider himself lucky to have survived.

jaysit

Thu May 03, 2001 10:10 pm

The show was junk. As usual it was shown from the perspective of a bunch of loud-mouth Americans. Its like one of those Hollywood crappola movies where the good-ol-boys saved everyone's red/brown/asian/african arse. I was ashamed to be American watching this drivel.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri May 04, 2001 12:19 am

Singapore777: OK I withdraw my last comment.

Let's just hope he known that he is v. v. v. lucky to be alive. However, he can sling 'is hook!

NAACREW

Fri May 04, 2001 3:46 am

I am sitting here in my hotel room not believing what I am reading here! All of you who wrote nasty remarks should be ashamed of yourself. Can you even imagine what it must have been like for those people who were interviewed? They were actually sitting in a ball of fire. Not knowing if you were going to die. And most are still suffering mental and phyiscal pain.

And so what if Mr. Diaz came off sounding like a hero. I feel anyone who saves even one human life, is a hero in my book. Especailly if I was the one who was saved. And if anyone of you dont feel the same way, then you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Everett wa,..you dont think their lives have been changed? Trust me pal, when you face death head-on, your life DOES change! So if you have no knowledge in that area, keep remarks like that yourself!

Singapore Air..even after you taking back what you said that Mr Diaz should have died, you should be banned from this forum! You are taking sides in defense of the ALL MIGHTY Singapore Airlines, and putting no value on human life. Shame on you for such an uncaring comment!

Adam84..why is it so hard to believe that a F/A was sitting there like a "dazed deer?" In training we're trained for a survivable plane crash, in a controled enviorment. Do you think they hurl us down a runway at 200 miles an hour, blow us up, set a few people on fire, then tell us to evac? I would like to believe, that with all my training, that if God for bid I was ever in a situation like that, I would keep my head on straight, and be calm. But, I am human, and one can never be sure of how you would react when fear takes over. Especailly when you see fire and death all around you. So dont be so quick not to believe that the F/A didnt freeze up.

Jaysit..your comment surprises me too, coming from a lawyer. I thought you would have been one of the many suing for the pax.

And did you folks ever think the reason why the AMERICANS were interviewd, is that 48 Hours is an AMERICAN produced show...DUH! Let your other Countries do their own show, and I am sure lots of them will come off as heros, too. Quoted from Jaysit "As usual it was shown from the perspective of a bunch of loud-mouth Americans. Its like one of those Hollywood crappola movies where the good-ol-boys saved everyone's red/brown/asian/african arse. I was ashamed to be American watching this drivel." Leave AMERICA now if you dont like it JAYSIT! Or anyone else living in this country who has ANTI-AMERICAN REMARKS!

AerLingus

Fri May 04, 2001 3:51 am

I agree with NAAcrew. 48 Hours is an American television programme, so why not interview American citizens?
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Greg

Fri May 04, 2001 5:57 am

I personally think they should charge the crew with manslaughter. Look at what these idiots at SQ did!

I hope the lawsuit settlements hike their insurance rates quite a bit.

Since 006, our company now uses CX, NW, and UA to Singapore--SQ is no longer trusted.

VirginA340

Fri May 04, 2001 6:27 am

You SIA lovers need to get a life!!! SIA is company that caters to people for $$$$$ it is a business and in order for a business to survive they need customers. SIA is NOT a temple for overzealous aviation buffs. How can you not find SIA at fault. The pilot hit a crane for christ sakes while taking off in bad weather. How could even one of you defend SIA for their gross neglegence and litterally try to discredit pax and their statements. Were any of you the next of kin? Were any of you on the plane as is was hurtling down the runway in flames at over 200 mph?

I still can't believe that you defend all of SIA's employees despite confirmed eyewitness reports from most surviving pax that there were FAs who were shaken up and scared. Hey FA or no FA any one will be scared of people dead or dying right infron of them and compunded by the plane burning and flipping over a couple of times.

Foe those of you who still defend the airline and and discredit the survivors and try to down play investigator reports done by crash investigators (who by the way have more experience and aa aviation background that you 16 year olds do); I dare any of you to say the same thing to a family member who just lost a loved one or a crash survior that is in the hospital with 3rd degree burns and possibly can't walk again.

I hope that those pilots and others responsible go down for this. Many men, women and children of all nationalities had died on this plane along with the hopes, dreams and hearts of surviving kin. It's about time to thr real victims.(No I don't mean your "precious" money maker SIA) God bless 48 hrs. I hope that their true statements embarras the airlines and holds them accountable for what happened.
"FUIMUS"

baldguy

Fri May 04, 2001 6:50 am

If some the passengers are made out to be heroes, that's to be expected since 48H is a magazine programme and their aim is to tell interesting stories.

What struck me was the extent of some of the injuries of the pax. Mr Diaz, for example, having practically every joint in his body compressed. I wonder if I would be strong enough to go on with an injury that severe.

jaysit

Fri May 04, 2001 7:06 am

NAACrew: Youre an idiot.

Not every attorney is an ambulance chaser. In fact, very few are. We have other issues to work on - like the First Amendment, for instance, that allows nitwits to tell their fellow Americans to leave our shores because they <<""shudder"">> dare to criticize bombastic American attitudes. But, I have no intentions of leaving my country except to take a vacation from the red-white & blue idiocy I observe from time to time.

And as a matter of fact I've been rather vocal in my criticism of SIA and the rabid SIA lovers on this forum, and I've always advocated the primacy and democratic traditions of the American legal system in granting survivors of tortious acts a full and just appeal in our courts.

At least my patriotism rests on a belief in our institutions in the US. Yours on the other hand is based in wide-eyed xenophobia and a moronic belief that if you criticize the US you should be herded out.

NAACREW

Fri May 04, 2001 7:13 am

Thank you Virgin340, Greg and Aerlingus for agreeing. I have read some VERY stupid remarks in here, but this topic just REALLY hit me the wrong way. Not the topic, the responses just pissed me off. It amazes me how cruel people can really be.

Something I have noticed in this forum. Some of you guys are not really interested in sharing your knowledge in aviation. You rather insult someone who might just be learning. If the question has been answered before, ignore it. Someone else out there will be happy to answer in a civilized way.

Bob

jaysit

Fri May 04, 2001 7:25 am

Someone clearly has had a bad life collecting barf bags in coach.

NAACREW

Fri May 04, 2001 7:31 am

Jaysit: I deal with your kind on an almost daily basis. Throwing your big words around, being rude, obnoxious, and demanding and thinking you can make people feel small. You wanna feel small pal, I will make you feel SO small, that the tiny thing hanging between your legs will look like tree stump! So keep you big shot lawyer remarks to yourself! And maybe learn some human compassion for those who have suffered!

jaysit

Fri May 04, 2001 7:36 am

Plenty of compassion here. None, however, for foul-mouthed, dim-witted flight attendants flying for third-rate carriers.

Amen.

NAACREW

Fri May 04, 2001 8:44 am

Check your aviation knowledge Jaysit, and see that NAA is NOT a third rate carrier. And as far as being a dim witted flight attendant, I dont think so!!!!! And as far as compassion goes, I have more compassion in my pinky than you do in your entire body! You proved yours in your first post, you felt no sorrow for those poor passengers that were interviewd.

Enough said about this topic!!!!

hkgspotter1

Fri May 04, 2001 9:30 am

The pilot caused the crash and he should be charged with murder, clear and simple.

If I crashed my car into a crowd of 80 people and killed all of them, would I walk ???. I dont think so.

VirginA340

Fri May 04, 2001 12:00 pm

HKGSpotter has a point; I hope that those pilots and othewrs who are infact responsible for the crash will get the strictest manslughter sentence possible by law and will never be able to fly so much as a piper ever again. They screwed themselves over as well as the victims and families of this horrible tragedy. SIA has already admitted their fault by publically apolizing. I hope that when the lawsuits pour in the money that SIA shells out will be more than enough to help pay for things like medical care, medical rehabilitation, lost wages, medical equipment, medication and for those not so lucky. Funerals, cost of headstone/cremation/death certificate/lost wages/burial/etc.

For those of you who are not familiar with the cost of medical expenses for instance did any of you know that all of this stuff runs into the tens of thousands of USD$$$$? In the NY/NJ area to file for a death certificate costs over $500.00. The cost of spending 48 hours in a burn unit $70,000 not including nursing staff as well as rehabilitation nor does it cover costs of medication. I'll bet that a good majority on the plane has no medical/life insurance due to jobs with no benifits or the cost of these insurances being too high as well as some having very little money. Bear in mind people that these are not Fortune 500 execs with big bank accounts. These were innocent people like you or myself who were getting from point a to b when this happened.

I hope that the families and living victims get every penny and that SIA, the pilots,etc will be held accountable to the fullest extent.

PS for those of you who have ill for Mr Diaz. How many of you would go to the extent to sacrafice your own lives just to save someone. I definantly would(considering that I was once a volunteer with a local fire department in NJ and that I do come from a family of fire/police officers). Would any of you or would you just sit back and let someone die infront of you in a horrible way and then be jealous and childlike when an honorable samaritan like Mr Diaz comes along to save someone? Godbless him and I hope and pray that there are more good samaritans like Mr Diaz
"FUIMUS"

hugo

Fri May 04, 2001 6:11 pm

1)Can anyone tell me how I can get a tape of this show?
2)SQ fans, SHAME ON YOU! Have some humility and compassion. SQ AIN'T PERFECT. Assuming you are from SIN, your comments are a reflection of your country.

Singapore 777

Fri May 04, 2001 8:48 pm

Well, which is precisely why I said SQ fans should NOT bad mouth Mr. Diaz. He did not do any bad. If he did in fact save just one life like some of you guys here have said, he is not a bad person.

SQ should accept responsibility since I quote from Dr. Cheong that it was indeed their aircraft, their pilots and their flight and that they took responsibility for their passengers. However, there are mitigating factors we must consider and I would not wish to discuss them here.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat May 05, 2001 12:43 am

OK OK OK OK OK !

I take back my comment on Mr. Diaz (althought that wouldn't make much of a difference to your opinions, although it is a gesture which more than William hague is doing).

I want to get this clear before there's more embarassment for me:

The reason why I "bad-mouthed" Mr. Diaz is that he was obviously un-traumatised by the whole experience and he wasn't severely injured (meaning cuts and bruises only). And yet he's suing.

And hear this:

I do hope that Singapore Airlines get sued by the victims and their lawyers (although Dan Nolan should show a little more compassion than chasing up victims who are clearly upset and are not in a right state of mind to think things throught). It is quite obvious to me and to you all that USD$400,000 + $25000 is not enough. In fact I would describe it as quite pitiful to be quite honest by modern standards. I would expect at least $2 million for the deceased and $500 000 for the injured. Also for the flight crew as well (stewardessses pilots, stewards...)

VirginA340: Your first two paragraphs. All Asian airlines know about the weather conditions that they can experience when a typhoon comes. It is normal practices for a pilot, to take off in the conditions that Singapore Airlines Flight SQ006 was taking off in. The Boeing manual said that the weather conditions at CKS were acceptable and within normal operating prameters.

I couldn't care less about my age. That comment to me is void and null. And no I wouldn't dare to go to a family and tell them that their relatives couldn't walk again as I have not received the proper training to deal with distraught families and to comfort them. (Although in this case an SIA buddy would be present, however they don't have enough knowledge about the circumstances of the medical side of things).

VirginA340: Your second post. I agree. I do think that the compensation is not enough as I said above. As to the pilots. I have mixed views on this. I think that the captain does ultimately have to accept the responsibility but what is not being said so far in this post is the factors resulting to this. The map was wrong, in the words of Taiwan's Aviation Safety Council, "The lighting was below international standards". Most of the lights were too dim, or even broken, therefore the captain could have missed 05L and went on thinking that 05R instead. Now at this point, I blame the captain. He should have looked at the runway, and saw that the runway was the wrong one. After all! The markings are big enough! Now it's the ATC's turn for the rap. They should really have checked each and every flight that they are on the correct runway at the correct time.

----------------------------
Now is the time for me to eat some humble pie. I do realise that the comments were inflammatory.

Brb

conti

Missed

Sat May 05, 2001 12:57 am

I missed the show. Anyone knows if they are going to broadcast it again?
conti

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat May 05, 2001 1:19 am

OK. As I was saying it's time for me to eat some humble pie. In hindsight, I agree those comments were unwarranted and certainly not needed for a forum like this one. For that I was completely out of order.

Also I would like to apologise to you all. As I was watching the news and eating spaghetti bolognase, I felt a bit guilty in making you all feel angry and sad, as you were entitled to be considering the circumstances.

However with all SQ006 arguments I will point this out time and time again. Althought the captain is ultimately at fault, there are many OTHER factors that were involved in the crash. I won't repeat them again now. But just remember that it was not all the pilot's/SIA's fault.

SIA is an excellent airline. OK it has some problems with pay, but it is good and it is improving on that somewhat in the future. It's not all hell because it crashed.

Singapore_Air
Singapore Airlines - Now More Than Ever A Great Way To Fly

ryanb741

Sat May 05, 2001 1:24 am

Or should that be

'Singapore Airlines - Now more than ever a great way to die.....' Big grin
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

ryanb741

Sat May 05, 2001 1:33 am

Before I get battered by any of our members, let me just point out that my intention was not to post humour in bad taste - rather to respond to the fact that certain individuals on this thread seem to think that the discussions about the deaths of over 80 men women and children can be used as some kind of marketing exercise for SIA......
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Kangar

Sat May 05, 2001 1:39 am

Guys,
Saying the crew should "go down" for this is not going to achieve anything. You guys are not obviously that familiar with flying in SE Asia, or the accompanying weather patterns. Fact: The lights on the Work in construction runway were on. Fact: There were no indications to alert pilots to the works on the runway. The other thing was that contrary to popular opinion, the pilot took off in conditions inside the performance envelope of the 747, this had no bearing. Finally, this was an experienced captain familiar with the conditions taking off, he firmly believed all to be in order. He made a mistake, no doubt, but he cannot bear all responsibility for the crash. The airport had no ground radar, and see aforementioned issues. The crew are suffering enough without people baying for their blood. If it was wilful neglect, thats one thing, an unfortunate accumulation of factors is another. There are learnings to be found in this tragedy, not revenge. As for the guys whose company changed airlines after the accident, if they think it will make them more safe, they couldn't be more wrong. In particular this goes for using CX as a substitute. Go to PPRUNE,and see what CX is doing in the line of sick leave for pilots, and it's safety impacts. The blame game does no good, it's just for revenge. The lessons learned are what are important.

Kangar

Sat May 05, 2001 1:50 am

Having read all the remaining posts, I can see opinions seem to be polarised. HKGspotter, you don't know the definition of murder, and why the pilots should see any more of a punishment than anyone else is beyond me. They were human, they along with the systems around them failed to prevent the crash. Do you think they said, "to hell with it, if we make it , we make it," ? No pilot takes his job lightly, but an accident can happen to anyone. And before someone jumps in to lambast me, no that doesn't help alleviate the affected families/survivors pain.

airnewzealand

Sun May 06, 2001 10:00 am

Well said NAAcrew

Cheers
mikey

fspilot747

Sun May 06, 2001 12:21 pm

NAAcrew: nice post. I completely agree with you.

Jaysit: Your remarks are really low, and I don't think anyone here finds them anything but disgusting. If you really ARE an attorney, as your profile says, grow up and act like one.

-FSPilot747

Bove

Sun May 06, 2001 12:28 pm

NAADude,

You need to relax and stop being such a chest-thumping ingrate. Jaysit is 100% correct when he critizes your "agree or get out" nonsense. As a proud American, I'm sure you'll agree that there are rights in this country guaranteeing free speech, etc!

What did he even say to provoke such an outburst? I am an American and I don't like Hollywood dictating to me how America should be either!

NAACREW

Sun May 06, 2001 1:40 pm

I cannot believe this topic is back again. But since you asked BoveDUDE, here is your answer. Anyone who could be ashamed of their country because of a TV show has a problem.And how do you see that show as "Hollywood dictating?" It wasnt as if they had some American riding in on a white horse saving everyone. And how can ANYONE call human suffering "drivel?" Would you call that a person Bove with compassion? I believe in freedom of speech, and I dont knock Jaysit for that, what I didnt like like was lack of feelings. And that went for anyone else who said some rotten things about those people.

Now you know why Bove I blew up the way I did.

And one more thing, where do you get off calling me a "chest-thumping ingrate?" An ingrate for what Bove? Defending my country from ingrates like you and Jaysit, whom I am sure neither of you have served this country. Keep stupid remarks like that to yourself next time. Freedom of speech or not!

NAACREW

Sun May 06, 2001 1:57 pm

Airnewzealand and FSPilot747, thank you guys! And everyone else who knew what this "chest-thumping ingrate" was talking about  Smile

VirginA340

Sun May 06, 2001 3:16 pm

NAACrew You the man; Your on my list. I would definantly want you to assist me in an argument. I hope that none of the SIA familes and vics don't see on what the following offensive posters above had put. As I said in my previous posts they are just a but of overzealous aviaiton buff who make us look bad by dicrediting the vics, families, confirmed eyewitness reports and crash investigator reports as well as those who critisize those who dis their "precious money maker" Trust me I went through the same crap when I lost my best friend on PA 103 and I, my famly and 260 famie and friends went after PA due to their shoddy security. At the end we all won and put them out of biz. In a New York City Court they were found guilty of Gross neglagence to the Safety and Security to those on PA 103 and were forced to pay $550,000 per victim who died to to the neglegence. PA wanted to pay only $75,000 not including the 35 Syrcacuse University student or those under age 18 since PA lawyers claimed that they were not wage earners so they deserve no compensation.

"FUIMUS"