CB777
Topic Author

US-LHR

Mon Apr 30, 2001 10:42 am

This might be a dumb question, but why is it only American, United, British Airways, and Virgin Atlantic have access from the USA and London Heathrow. Why can't other airlines fly these routes. I know there is some sort of an agreement between the US and UK. But I think this should change and they should allow other airlines to compete to LHR. Does anyone know why they made this law?

CB777

762er

RE: US-LHR

Mon Apr 30, 2001 10:54 am

I think it may have to do with airport capacity at LHR but there are also many other reasons.

Mon Apr 30, 2001 10:56 am

Who Bermuda II only allows 4 airline both in the UK/US to fly Heathrow route?

RE: Um...

Mon Apr 30, 2001 10:58 am

I think I typed one of the word wrong. can someone help me to fix it?

747firstclass

Mon Apr 30, 2001 10:59 am

The agreement is called Bermuda II. It protects BA and Vs from competition at LHR. BA and VS put intense pressure on the UK govt. to agree to this primitive and outdated agreement. Sooner or later this too shall pass and there will be openskies agreement. Though both countries have been negotiating for over 10 years on a new agreement---all to no avail. In the meantime most of the other major European airlines and countries have signed open skies agreements with the US and formed alliances with US carriers. In my opinion BA has fallen way way behind the curve by holding on to this outdated agreement. Like i said, this too shall pass.