MSYtristar
Topic Author

Will DL Fly The 764 To Msy?

Thu May 03, 2001 8:17 am

I know the DL 767-400 has visited MSY at least twice for equipment substitutions. This past March in fact I was lucky enough to ride on one on the MSY-ATL route. My question is since DL already flies 762's and 763's into MSY, why not a 764 flight? Does anyone think this is feasible? In related news, for the past few days and for the next few days, DL has been flying just about all 763's on the ATL-MSY-ATL route, with a couple of exceptions...basically seven roundtrips in each direction with the wide-body. This is due to a couple of large conventions in town, and because of Jazz Fest. So bring on the 764 Delta!

StephenINeworleans

highflyer16

RE: Will DL Fly The 764 To Msy?

Thu May 03, 2001 10:50 am

I just read a press release this morning that Delta will begin flying 764's into New York's Laguardia Airport for its Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale runs.

That news surprised me, because the runways at Laguardia are only 7000 feet long, and can't handle most larger jets.

I know that L1011s and DC10s were never able to land there for that reason.

Bigger airplanes at LGA make a lot of sense in light of the airport's limited capacity for takeoffs and landings, and limited gate space. With bigger planes, many airlines could cut back their frequency a little without sacrificing capacity, which also would make the airport run more smoothly.

But my understanding (some of which has come directly from airline pilots), is that the runways are too small to accomodate larger aircraft.

I looked up the plane in the aircraft data and history section and it gives a lot of info, but not runway length requirements.

Does anybody out there know exactly how much runway space a loaded 767-400 needs? If it can land at Laguardia, how come other airlines haven't already tried flying 767's in there?

Maniac

Thu May 03, 2001 11:49 am

I do know for a fact that Delta flew the L1011 to Laguardia in the past. I was on one for a flight from FLL. I don't know about the specific runway length, but some large planes can land at Laguardia, obviously if Delta says that they will be flying the 764 to LGA, than the airport is capable of handling the aircraft. Just my thoughts, someone with more experiance with Laguardia should comment on this.

FlyPNS1

Thu May 03, 2001 12:07 pm

Actually, L1011's have been operated into LGA quite often. Eastern, TWA and Delta have all brought L10's into LGA at some point in the past. The 764 was especially designed so that it could be used at places like LGA....a major selling point for DL.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Bill Armstrong

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Bill Armstrong