I Get To Fly Air France!

Sat May 05, 2001 7:15 am

Ok, so I changed up my flight a bit (or, more precisely, my travel agent did). I am no longer on a Swissair MD-11. I am now flying an Air France A340 from DFW-CDG. So I will ask the same question--does anyone have any experience, good, bad, or otherwise, with Air France and specifically on an A340? I am in coach (as usual).

How is the food? How is the service? Do they have PTV's? How much legroom? You know, all the usual questions that I cannot answer because the Air France web site is useless.

And, by the way, I have a four hour layover at CDG. Is that enough time to get into Paris for lunch or should I just stay put and watch the airplanes? And if I should just stay put, where is the best place for spotting?

Thanks in advance for the information.

ben88

RE: I Get To Fly Air France!

Sat May 05, 2001 7:38 am

The A340's should have ptv's but i'm not 100% sure because we dont get any airbuses in Los Angeles. Our 744's do not have ptv's while out 772's do. Passengers seem to always like the food. In Los Angeles everything is prepared by hand and the breads are baked on site. As for your layover, yes you do have time for lunch in Paris but it will be close. I would only do it if you arrive early or right on time. I would take the roissybus from CDG2 to Place de l'Opera, and you can find a nice restaurant around there. The bus ride one way is around 50 minutes as far as I remember so if you have a four hour layover you will have about an hour and a half to spend eating in Paris. Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask away  Smile

Dropkick

Sat May 05, 2001 8:01 am

I have flown on an Air France A340, and that was the best flight I've ever been on. No PTV's, but they had great service. And the A340 cabin is very quiet!
Enjoy your flight.

cba

Sat May 05, 2001 10:30 am

About half of Air France's A343 fleet have PTV's (correct me if I'm wrong). Food and service on AF is always excellent. Bon voyage!

CVG777

Sat May 05, 2001 11:15 am

I had an excellent experience on Air France. The A343 has a very generous amount of legroom in coach, as did their 777 that I was also on. The cabin was comfortable for the long flight. Most of the A340 fleet should also have PTVs by now. The one I was on for my 9.5 hour flight from CDG-ATL didn't have any though. With any luck you will be on one that does.

The food does not compare to anything I have ever experienced before. It is all very goodand is definitley some of the best in the industry (especially their desserts).

Carioca Canuck

Sat May 05, 2001 12:06 pm

I'm interested in this too , because I fly from GIG-CDG in September and I've never flown Air France before.

There's enough miles in this trip for me that I'll have to join their FF program called "Frequence Plus".

I really find Air Canada's economy service hard to beat.....and their "executive class" is fantastic on international flights.

How do they compare in first class ?