kaitak

Another Great Aviation Novel . . .

Sat May 05, 2001 7:02 pm

Well . . . maybe not.

I was just visiting a bookshop this morning and the cover of a new John Nance novel, Blackout, caught my eye. Looking at the back cover . . .

747-400, Hong Kong to LA . . . explosion outside the cockpit, one pilot killed . . . the other blinded . . .

HOLD ON A SEC! THE other - the ONE other? Where were the other two? On the picket line? Stuck in traffic? Fell off the Star Ferry? Hong Kong to LA on a single crew - do come on!

In fairness, JN has written some fairly good work over the years, so I don't want to nit pick too much. Still, since having only 2 pilots seems to form the basis of the crisis, it does leave a question mark over the entire plot. Must have a read, though!

B747-437B

RE: Another Great Aviation Novel . . .

Sat May 05, 2001 7:23 pm

Usually when I want to read aviation fiction, I pull up one of the posts by United Airline.  Smile
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Sat May 05, 2001 7:35 pm

On the picket line would be about right, trying for another 50% payrise!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

B747-437B

Sat May 05, 2001 7:58 pm

Surprising how Ceilidh always pops up when fiction is mentioned.

Trolling for a new business plan, eh Neil?  Smile
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Ikarus

Sun May 06, 2001 5:23 pm

I really didn't like Blackout. The characters feel "forced", somehow unnatural, and utterly unsympathetic (especially Dallas). A large section of the plot is just playing with that well-known 12-year-old aviation enthusiasts dream of "What if I were the only one left to fly the plane?"

Then there's the crashes.... Completely unbelievable. Not their occurrances, but their outcomes.

And the goons. What I loved best about Pandora's Clock was Yuri and how he had a character of his own. Not just the faceless German bad guy we always get to see in the movies, and in Blackout.

Also, I don't see why the female FBI agent from The Last Hostage gets another novel. Last Hostage was already fairly average (mixing pedophilia and planes in a sensationalist mix, with some of the "action" totally unmotivated, eg the 360 degree roll)

I think it's time to look for a new author for this particular genre.... Any applicants?

Regards

Ikarus

Sun May 06, 2001 6:10 pm

Damn, found this thread too late, beaten to all the best retorts! Big grin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos