kaitak

Another Great Aviation Novel . . .

Sat May 05, 2001 7:02 pm

Well . . . maybe not.

I was just visiting a bookshop this morning and the cover of a new John Nance novel, Blackout, caught my eye. Looking at the back cover . . .

747-400, Hong Kong to LA . . . explosion outside the cockpit, one pilot killed . . . the other blinded . . .

HOLD ON A SEC! THE other - the ONE other? Where were the other two? On the picket line? Stuck in traffic? Fell off the Star Ferry? Hong Kong to LA on a single crew - do come on!

In fairness, JN has written some fairly good work over the years, so I don't want to nit pick too much. Still, since having only 2 pilots seems to form the basis of the crisis, it does leave a question mark over the entire plot. Must have a read, though!

B747-437B

RE: Another Great Aviation Novel . . .

Sat May 05, 2001 7:23 pm

Usually when I want to read aviation fiction, I pull up one of the posts by United Airline.  Smile
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Sat May 05, 2001 7:35 pm

On the picket line would be about right, trying for another 50% payrise!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

B747-437B

Sat May 05, 2001 7:58 pm

Surprising how Ceilidh always pops up when fiction is mentioned.

Trolling for a new business plan, eh Neil?  Smile
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Ikarus

Sun May 06, 2001 5:23 pm

I really didn't like Blackout. The characters feel "forced", somehow unnatural, and utterly unsympathetic (especially Dallas). A large section of the plot is just playing with that well-known 12-year-old aviation enthusiasts dream of "What if I were the only one left to fly the plane?"

Then there's the crashes.... Completely unbelievable. Not their occurrances, but their outcomes.

And the goons. What I loved best about Pandora's Clock was Yuri and how he had a character of his own. Not just the faceless German bad guy we always get to see in the movies, and in Blackout.

Also, I don't see why the female FBI agent from The Last Hostage gets another novel. Last Hostage was already fairly average (mixing pedophilia and planes in a sensationalist mix, with some of the "action" totally unmotivated, eg the 360 degree roll)

I think it's time to look for a new author for this particular genre.... Any applicants?

Regards

Ikarus

Sun May 06, 2001 6:10 pm

Damn, found this thread too late, beaten to all the best retorts! Big grin