Oliver
Topic Author

How It Is To Fly In A Russian Airplane...

Sat May 05, 2001 7:10 pm

What were your experiences? Is it really so scary? Or is it just like in any other plane? What about service and noise during the flight?
Is there any Russian plane with Inflight Entertainment System? And if so, is it Russian?

Jan Mogren

RE: How It Is To Fly In A Russian Airplane...

Sat May 05, 2001 7:35 pm

Not scary at all, in my experience anyway.
I have flown on TU-134, Yak-42 and AN-24. Not much difference from western built really in the cabin. The service depends on the airline, but wasn't too good on my flights. Lousy food ! Terrible coffee ! The AN-24 interior was pretty crappy, but that would be just like an old poorly maintained F-27 or 737-200 in the west.
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

slawko

RE: How It Is To Fly In A Soviet Airplane...

Sat May 05, 2001 8:58 pm

I was on an AN-24 and the interior had been totally re-done...Looked like and ATR or Dash-8 and was not too much lounder then those two planes...Service was awsome...Just depends on which airline you fly on.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

Pe@rson

Sat May 05, 2001 9:09 pm

I'll be flying on an Aeroflot II-96 routing SVO-DEL-SVO on August 18 and September 18 respectively  Smile Has anyone had any experience on this aircraft?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Wasilenko

Sat May 05, 2001 9:31 pm

I've been on Il-86, Il-96, Tu-154s, they were all great!

sushka

Sat May 05, 2001 11:51 pm

Ive been on more of their planes then ours. Mostly Tu134s. I love em
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Ilyushin96M

Sun May 06, 2001 12:57 am

I've flown on IL86, IL62M, TU154B-2, TU154M and TU134A-3. While passenger comfort is not as good as on comparable Western types, I found all to be very smooth in the air, and especially on landing.

The safety record of Soviet-built aircraft is based mostly in myth; the truth is, if you compare each aircraft type to its Western equivalents, they are just as safe. In fact, the only Soviet-era widebody, the IL86, has never had a crash involving loss of life.

Newer Russian aircraft are supposedly much better in terms of engine noise and comfort. Soviet-built aircraft are among the noisiest in the skies, which is why many types are banned outside of Russia nowadays. However, most of them have rear-mounted engines (with exception only of IL86, which is LOUD if you're seated behind the wing!), so cabin noise is comparable to a 727 or DC-9.

In terms of service, this varies per airline. Aeroflot has made HUGE strides in terms of passenger comfort and service, relegating most Soviet types to routes within Russia, using Western types on international routes. Having flown Aeroflot as recently as 1999, I found the service and staff to be as good as any European carrier I have ever flown, and the food was great. I also understand Aeroflot is refitting TU154s and IL86s with newer and more modern cabins so that passengers will travel in more comfort and style aboard these types.

In terms of in-flight entertainment, currently only the IL96-300 offers any sort of cinema or stereo channels onboard. I've never flown in one, so I don't know what the set-up is like. Other Soviet-era aircraft have no inflight entertainment to speak of.

An-225

Sun May 06, 2001 1:57 am

I flew on An-2, An-24, Tu-154 and IL-86 and they were all awesome. I'd fly them any day.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos

GZIP: Off