airbus380

Interning In Aviation Jobs In High School

Sat May 12, 2001 11:43 pm

I am going to be a freshman in high school. Is there anyway like when I become a senior or even now, to intern in aviation jobs. Like baggage handler, ATC, or even a pilot? I would be working at AUS. Thanks!

Tom in NO

RE: Interning In Aviation Jobs In High School

Sun May 13, 2001 12:18 am

When I was a junior in high school in Claremont, California, this was in 1978, I was enrolled in a program called Regional Occupational Program, which trained high school kids in careers via classes and on-the-job training.

The class I was enrolled in was called Airline Careers. I think it lasted about eight weeks. It was located at ONT-Ontario Int'l Airport, and the airlines involved were American, Western, PSA, Golden West, and one other. I was fortunate to be placed at PSA for my OJT. It included time at the ticket counter, and out on the ramp.

Great experience!!!

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

USAFHummer

Sun May 13, 2001 2:10 am

Airbus 380...

I was wondering the same thing...I want to get a job at an airport...probably an FBO this summer...do any airports/FBO's hire high-schoolers?

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Sun May 13, 2001 6:40 am

I have always been wondering this question, but it seems that the answer is rarely.

Sun May 13, 2001 6:43 am

To legally work on the ramp you have to be 18.
Iain

lindy field

Sun May 13, 2001 6:47 am

Knock out a baggage handler when nobody's looking and drag him into a vacant room. Remove his clothing and tie him up and gag him. Put on his clothing and exit the room. Voila! You are now an official baggage handler. Don't get caught or Uncle Leo will bust your ass.